Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
MagiaOrganica
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Paintings don't typical transfer well to screen prints unless you take it and digitally separate every color and use transparent screen print ink like Edmiston has done for his screen prints. It is much easier to print a giclee and in my opinion it usually turns out better than trying to recreate a painting using the screen printing process.
elanmars
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

jeter0204 wrote:Excited for the panels, looks like some pretty interesting stuff to be seen in them.

Wish the vinyl at MondoCon was the variants. and then sell the black one with random variants online. Besides that one gripe, Looks kick ass. Really excited about that full service bar! Nothing like drunk poster nerds trying to roll limited paper
Mondo hobos will be there showing their art, they can also show us their poster handling ways. How to stuff a Stout handbill in a backpack, or how you can fit one in your pocket, for starters.
to see some of my photography, click down below!
http://www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography
Packatrix
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Kind of agree with some of the Alex Ross IG comments - it somehow isn't as dynamic as it should be based on the scene, and the pose... it almost looks like a render of a partially completed 3D model - partially in the sense that it hasn't had all its materials/shaders work done.

Would it benefit from some depth of field style effects, or more forced perspective on the hand closest to the camera...

However, the two images for the Vinyl, are BOTH absolutely fantastic, to my mind exceeding the old Durieux and Mitchell prints, as much as I love them.

Think the Jay Shaw has the same impact on me as the brilliant Tong IG print.

Really, really hope they both make it out as prints as well, although i'm not sure how a silkscreen would work on the Edmiston. I bodged an 8 colour gif for giggles...

Be interesting with some GITD inks...
Last edited by Packatrix on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopHatZombies
Art Expert

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Packatrix wrote:However, the two images for the Vinyl, are BOTH absolutely fantastic, to my mind exceeding the old Durieux and Mitchell prints, as much as I love them.
Durieux Iron Giant all day.
Image ImageImage
bootstrut
Art Expert

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:59 pm

TopHatZombies wrote:
Packatrix wrote:However, the two images for the Vinyl, are BOTH absolutely fantastic, to my mind exceeding the old Durieux and Mitchell prints, as much as I love them.
This. All day, every day.
Packatrix
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:27 pm

TopHatZombies wrote:
Regarding the Durieux, it's a lovely pose/moment, but i've never been moved by the composition and/or colour choices. I think I can understand why it works so well for so many folks on here though.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Packatrix wrote:
TopHatZombies wrote:
Regarding the Durieux, it's a lovely pose/moment, but i've never been moved by the composition and/or colour choices. I think I can understand why it works so well for so many folks on here though.
It makes me say "Aww man, that's what Durieux did with IG?" But I agree, I understand why some people love it.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Mondo thread returns, and the forum blows up. Seems right. :lol:
So it goes...
pisker
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:01 pm

TopHatZombies wrote: Durieux Iron Giant all day.
My Noob Confession: I used to actually type out "Drymount"
sluffmo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Understatement.
toobs
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:16 pm

sluffmo wrote:
Understatement.
It's great but i think Tong Variant takes the cake
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Glad they are showing the remastered Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I'm fighting the urge to see the re-release prior to Mondo-Con.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:18 pm

i think this belongs in here. 8)

アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:28 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
BavarianErin wrote:Here's what we're talking about, in case you need a reminder.

I like the firey/smoke trail/exhaust, just not the ocean/land.

Also, I'm happy for Mondo's Alex Ross fans, it must be very exciting.
I think it actually comes off a little flatter dimension-wise the more I look at it...I love how well he's drawn it but IG doesn't feel as separate from the earth/ocean as I would imagine.

Ah well, it's Alex Ross, it still looks nice and I'd still buy it.
a fan of Alex Ross but if I hadn't been told I never would have guessed that was his work.

would love it if they could get Kevin O'Neill to do a print for them (I would have said the League if Extraordinary Gentlemen if the movie had been (a lot) better)
playa787
Art Expert

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:30 pm

I think Alex Ross' popularity peaked a long time ago. And while his ensembles are great I think his art might have been just a novelty in the comics world, just because it was different at the time. But that's just me
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.