Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:37 pm

jkw3000 wrote:To think I spent 3 years and $50k in F5 University....ALL FOR NOTHING.
“I love the poorly educated”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
fnord
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:38 pm

jkw3000 wrote:To think I spent 3 years and $50k in F5 University....ALL FOR NOTHING.
A quality F5 admin job pays $75k+, not the worst investment.

/sysadmin joke/
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 pm

aivc wrote: Nah, I can guarantee you, it's worse. Objectively worse.
I'm just letting you know so you can start working on something better. Because come Stout time, you're gonna get a dose of reality instead of a poster.
LOL STOUT TIME, I have no clue why everyone has such a boner for that guy, if I want one of his prints I'll buy it on secondary market or try my luck in his AP raffle, to be honest his Thing print and Inglorious Bastards print are all I have ever wanted will ever want from him. Unless by some miracle he ever makes a print for Indiana Jones or the new Blade Runner film count me out, more for all you Stout lovers.
pleasediedistro
Jasper73
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:46 pm

:lurk:
ImageT.K.C.
punch
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:48 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
aivc wrote: Nah, I can guarantee you, it's worse. Objectively worse.
I'm just letting you know so you can start working on something better. Because come Stout time, you're gonna get a dose of reality instead of a poster.
LOL STOUT TIME, I have no clue why everyone has such a boner for that guy, if I want one of his prints I'll buy it on secondary market or try my luck in his AP raffle, to be honest his Thing print and Inglorious Bastards print are all I have ever wanted will ever want from him. Unless by some miracle he ever makes a print for Indiana Jones or the new Blade Runner film count me out, more for all you Stout lovers.
So that means you'll score a stout for me next drop?? With your sweet URLs.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Questions why people have boners for Tyler's work.

Says he'll buy a Stout 'Indiana Jones' and Stout 'Blade Runner' sight unseen.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:50 pm

If you like Stout's Thing and IB, then you like Stouts.It's no good telling yourself otherwise just cuz they're impossible to score.
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:If you like Stout's Thing and IB, then you like Stouts.It's no good telling yourself otherwise just cuz they're impossible to score.
I like those movies in particular and would hang art on my wall from them, not gonna run out and hang a poster for a movie I don't even enjoy or don't see the aesthetic appeal in art wise, those two posters stand out to me. I am not buying Mondo posters to flip them like I'm sure some people do, in fact in that documentary about screen printing gig posters in 2013 artists Kevin Tong and Tyler Stout talked about how much they dislike secondary market resale of their art because they want everyone to be able to enjoy it and they see no profit from that market because it just that secondary, but that is Mondo for you they make prints with commercial appeal that thousands of people see and say "I'm gonna get that" and those thousands of people show up to the front page of mondotees.com to be letdown because 125 people hit checkout before you. The solution for Stout posters in my opinion is open timed editions of an hour or less because people really do want his art and there is never enough of it to go around, I've seen people pay outrageous amounts for post cards and handbills with his art even.
pleasediedistro
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:19 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
Diabolos80 wrote:If you like Stout's Thing and IB, then you like Stouts.It's no good telling yourself otherwise just cuz they're impossible to score.
I like those movies in particular and would hang art on my wall from them, not gonna run out and hang a poster for a movie I don't even enjoy or don't see the aesthetic appeal in art wise, those two posters stand out to me. I am not buying Mondo posters to flip them like I'm sure some people do, in fact in that documentary about screen printing gig posters in 2013 artists Kevin Tong and Tyler Stout talked about how much they dislike secondary market resale of their art because they want everyone to be able to enjoy it and they see no profit from that market because it just that secondary, but that is Mondo for you they make prints with commercial appeal that thousands of people see and say "I'm gonna get that" and those thousands of people show up to the front page of mondotees.com to be letdown because 125 people hit checkout before you. The solution for Stout posters in my opinion is open timed editions of an hour or less because people really do want his art and there is never enough of it to go around, I've seen people pay outrageous amounts for post cards and handbills with his art even.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Perfect, Acid. :2thumb:
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Timed edition stout? Never been suggested before.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
AliRock110
Art Expert

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

iambillyg wrote:Questions why people have boners for Tyler's work.

Says he'll buy a Stout 'Indiana Jones' and Stout 'Blade Runner' sight unseen.
It's good art, but derivative of Drew Struzan with less detail and more clutter, it's original, but not so original if you think about it. I can't help, but feel like Tyler Stout spent a lot of time staring at Drew's work on the front of VHS boxes at his local video store growing up.
pleasediedistro
jkw3000
EB Team

circlexcomplete wrote:
This place didn't exist before 2016 to you, huh?
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
fleurgasm

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:30 pm

I really like this place.