Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
ChrisV
Art Expert

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 pm

"Let's have a huge convention with tons of exclusive prints before we worry about all those open editions that were paid for months ago!" Typical Mondo.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Alphamel1968
Art Enthusiast

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 am

Well, I've bought 2,000+ original movie posters but it's great that LD/Mondo can sometimes match even the best originals:

http://www.moviepostercollectors.guide
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 am

Alphamel1968 wrote:Well, I've bought 2,000+ original movie posters but it's great that LD/Mondo can sometimes match even the best originals:
Sometimes, but Jaws isn't one of them.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

LD Jaws isn't anywhere close to the Roger Kastel artwork.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am

Not much is.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 am

Kramerica wrote:LD Jaws isn't anywhere close to the Roger Kastel artwork.
Yeah not sure why people are crazy about it - without the title + tagline you would have no idea it was for the movie unless i'm missing any subtleties.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
Scottjohnston
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:13 am

Nobody thought LD Jaws was great when it was first preview either :lol:
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 am

#OpinionsMan
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 am

ccsmd598 wrote:
Yeah not sure why people are crazy about it - without the title + tagline you would have no idea it was for the movie unless i'm missing any subtleties.
Yes you are missing the subtleties and then some.

Of course taking away the text makes it less like a movie poster, but it assumes that most people who see it have actually seen the movie...it's not marketing a film with its initial release and with a legendary film like JAWS, doesn't need to sell tickets and can do something new.

The design invokes the old european 'lets take a holiday at the beach' travel posters of the 20s-40s, a refreshing take on the town and its environs as depicted in the film from the mid-70s.

The innocent and relaxing ambiance of folks enjoying a day at the beach works as an antithesis to the main drive of the original one sheet design which depicts the sheer terror of the shark moments away from killing a woman.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 am

I think LD Jaws is a good movie poster, it's just not nearly as good as the Kastel. My biggest regret is not buying more than one on the drop.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 am

wonkabars7 wrote:
ccsmd598 wrote:
Yes you are missing the subtleties and then some.

Of course taking away the text makes it less like a movie poster, but it assumes that most people who see it have actually seen the movie...it's not marketing a film with its initial release and with a legendary film like JAWS, doesn't need to sell tickets and can do something new.

The design invokes the old european 'lets take a holiday at the beach' travel posters of the 20s-40s, a refreshing take on the town and its environs as depicted in the film from the mid-70s.

The innocent and relaxing ambiance of folks enjoying a day at the beach works as an antithesis to the main drive of the original one sheet design which depicts the sheer terror of the shark moments away from killing a woman.
Fiiinnneeeeeeeee
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:28 am

I love the LD Jaws . . . but more because I prefer all his "travel" posters more than his movie posters (the California Zephyr poster being one of my favorite prints that I own). I'd like it just as much without the fin and if it was for "Nantucket" instead of Jaws.

As a Jaws poster, I definitely don't think it's the best out there - the cleverness of it helps, but it's almost "too cute" for it's own good. The Tannenbaum that BNG just put out is pretty amazing, obviously the Kastel is hard to beat. But I also really like PCC take and Matt Taylor's.

And no, I don't own the LD and I am casually ISO, so #antihype.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:32 am

I miss 2013.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:34 am

That goodfellas print is lame, why bother making it if you can't even get likeness rights? And then make two background characters the main focus of the print :roll:
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.