Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:53 pm

I don't know. I think the Ortiz is a really cool poster. The only thing I like about this is the credits.
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:54 pm

I still need to watch dat movie. Looks like it's on hulu.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:00 pm

You'll drymounting love it blue.

Love the Kurtz! That scene is the centerpiece of the whole movie. Plus, sexy time.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Iracles
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Kurtz is hit or miss for me, and this one is a hit. Like the colours better on the variant, but will likely go w/the regular ($100 is pushing it for me).
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm

thats been the price point of the last few of his releases.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 pm

He gets dat Mondo blue chip artist monies.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
playa787
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Not sure I dig the composition. Maybe it's the colors but my gaze is drawn to the top third where there isn't much going on but the dad's dumb face. Maybe that's the point , I dunno \_(ツ)_/¯
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:22 pm

playa787 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:01 pm
Not sure I dig the composition. Maybe it's the colors but my gaze is drawn to the top third where there isn't much going on but the dad's dumb face. Maybe that's the point , I dunno \_(ツ)_/¯
Does the guy have artistic talent? Sure but all of his stuff looks so drymounting flat and the composition is always awful.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm

wall-e though.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:48 pm

I should watch Parasite sometime. I don't own any of Kurtz's art but since this is a timed edition I'll get this one. It's gorgeous, both editions are.
Iracles
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm
thats been the price point of the last few of his releases.
Yeah, no issue with the variant being $100, just saying that it is making my decision easier.
NiffWho
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 am

I realize this is what MT goes nuts for, but the amount of t̶r̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶ likeness he crams into a print just really shows how bottom-of-the-barrel his conceptual abilities are. It just looks like a screencap after a while. (And when he doesn't lean in that direction, his work is accused of plagiarism.)

This print is one of the better things he's done in a while, though.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:41 am

finneganm wrote:
The only thing I like about this is the credits.
On the variant. Reg title kinda looks like its for a Fincher movie.

I don't care for this one. Well-illustrated, but not an image I want to look at over and over. Its too on the nose and feels like too much is cramped in. Not a fan of that peach or the too-obvious onlooker. Not feeling the colors either.

Also, I thought the write-up for the poster was odd. They spend a lot of words trying really hard to convince people that Parasite is a good film. Parasite won Best Picture for a reason and its beloved around the world. We don't need the heavy-handed convincing.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am

RottenAtom wrote:
finneganm wrote:

I don't care for this one. Well-illustrated, but not an image I want to look at over and over. Its too on the nose and feels like too much is cramped in. Not a fan of that peach or the too-obvious onlooker. Not feeling the colors either.

Also, I thought the write-up for the poster was odd. They spend a lot of words trying really hard to convince people that Parasite is a good film. Parasite won Best Picture for a reason and its beloved around the world. We don't need the heavy-handed convincing.
Yeah but saying it won best picture for a reason means drymount all. Plenty of films that should have won or been nominated haven't. Also you have best picture winners like crash/shape/green book. I loved Parasite though fwiw.

Every single poster he does just looks like a screen grab. Do not get everyones obsession with this dude or the Mondos crowd to never ever want anything but a bunch of faces slapped on a poster.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:58 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:47 am
RottenAtom wrote:
finneganm wrote:

Yeah but saying it won best picture for a reason means drymount all. Plenty of films that should have won or been nominated haven't. Also you have best picture winners like crash/shape/green book. I loved Parasite though fwiw.

Every single poster he does just looks like a screen grab. Do not get everyones obsession with this dude or the Mondos crowd to never ever want anything but a bunch of faces slapped on a poster.
Omit my Best Picture line and the sentiments are the same. All I'm saying is that Parasite is beloved by the film community and Mondo shouldn't have to sell it so hard or spend energy trying to convince the basic bitches.