Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
Chandler53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:24 am

Maybe they can combine shipping from the 2019 Flat File sale with the 2020 Flat File sale! Gotta think positive.
cotis
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am

Buckhammer wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am
I don't think its the art output, the art is fine, I think alot has to do with expectations, licensing issues ( no credit blocks, likenesses are for the most part gone, licensors are becoming more involved in the design, etc) ,what alot of people seem to be whining about, no more of the big three ( moss, stout, or horkey for whatever reasons)....and the constant output of the same old licenses ( I understand its a business and they need to produce product that sells).

I do agree with the CS.... a huge dropoff. I know they are in the middle of a warehouse move. This could be the issue, and I hope its resolved.

I do think alot of this frustation could be traced to the private commission trend. How could Mondo compete with it, the PC's have no restrictions, no rules. Offbeat IP's can be done and theres no business risk. It is what it is, but I do feel if PC's were not around, I do not think there would be so much talk about art output.
spoken like a tru alt artist that has done private commissions :wink:
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:14 am

Buckhammer wrote:
I do think alot of this frustation could be traced to the private commission trend. How could Mondo compete with it, the PC's have no restrictions, no rules. Offbeat IP's can be done and theres no business risk. It is what it is, but I do feel if PC's were not around, I do not think there would be so much talk about art output.
That is where the so called qualified art directors should be working hard to produce unique and compelling output that is superior to commissions.

As much as commissions have free reign, the supposed differentiatior of Mondo is their qualified staff and ability to have their product licensed (albeit sometimes constrained) that appeals to many die hard collectors. In this more competitive environment, Mondo needs to either find fresh new licenses or spend more to acquire likenesses and credit blocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:23 am

rubberneck wrote:
Buckhammer wrote:
That is where the so called qualified art directors should be working hard to produce unique and compelling output that is superior to commissions.

As much as commissions have free reign, the supposed differentiatior of Mondo is their qualified staff and ability to have their product licensed (albeit sometimes constrained) that appeals to many die hard collectors. In this more competitive environment, Mondo needs to either find fresh new licenses or spend more to acquire likenesses and credit blocks.
I think for me is that the boutique feel is gone more than anything. I used to look forward to every Thursday waiting for that email to see what great art was coming out that week. I cannot fault them for wanting to grow and become huge. As for new licenses, I mean, I have seen smaller new licenses sit while Star Wars and Marvel sell out. this is where I think they should go back to the boutique style, smaller runs and less output but I cannot see them going that way anymore. I guess we all can find something to gripe about but the fact remains, they are growing and will continue to do so without our opinions.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
ghornett
EB Trainee

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am

So wait they are moving warehouses, offices, and websites at the same time?
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:46 am

ghornett wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:27 am
So wait they are moving warehouses, offices, and websites at the same time?
39 listed employees on the site excluding the independent printing companies and their staff, sounds like a big operation these days. Makes sense they are up-sizing facilities and logistics. That does mean more overhead and salaries so prices will continue to creep up.

But like any business if their lose their core customers or the perceived 'personal touch' then it could have an impact on sales/revenue.

Bottleneck Gallery are managing to walk that tightrope quite well, imo. Still getting the personal correspondence from BN crew and providing the ability to combine shipping and refund multiple independent orders. TBH tho, I've had no issue with Mondo to date and have all queries addressed in a timely fashion. This new move may to be to address the recent (ahem) bottleneck...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:16 pm

rubberneck wrote:
Buckhammer wrote:

This. The art direction is something that gives them the edge over almost any Private Commission. Well that should be the case anyway. They have lost that edge for sure, despite a handful of quality releases last year. Definitely doesn't feel the same but maybe that is partly because of the loss of 'newness' to me after collecting for quite a while now. Everything changes eventually.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:59 pm

rubberneck wrote:
Bottleneck Gallery are managing to walk that tightrope quite well, imo. Still getting the personal correspondence from BN crew and providing the ability to combine shipping and refund multiple independent orders. TBH tho, I've had no issue with Mondo to date and have all queries addressed in a timely fashion. This new move may to be to address the recent (ahem) bottleneck...
With a dedicated staff of 3 no less. I think even one year yazoo said BNG was the biggest buyer of tubes in the US.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:59 pm
rubberneck wrote:
With a dedicated staff of 3 no less. I think even one year yazoo said BNG was the biggest buyer of tubes in the US.
This is incredible to me. Without having to make any comparisons at all, BNG's customer service is the best I've ever dealt with in multiple collectible areas.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm

I also feel like as the whole poster scene has gotten bigger, not just Mondo's business, that the output is lacking in originality. The majority of releases just don't feel like AMPs anymore in the way that things like Moss' or early Stouts and Ken Taylors felt like truly alternative takes on traditional movie posters.

Now most (obv, not all) releases feel like "just" better illustrated versions of studio official releases. To me, I've bought much less in the last two years than I did in the previous ten just because I feel like the output is very vanilla. I also realize a big part of that is the more heavy involvement of licencors, but I also feel like that should be pushing art directors to be more innovative in their approach to those properties. If you don't have likeness rights that should give you even more freedom to be experimental and interesting.

I don't know, I just feel like we get a ton of floating head/characters-in-center type posters than posters that work from themes or ideas that movies represent.
Art Freak

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:04 pm

WolfBrewer wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:37 am
Mondo customer service is the absolute worst these days.
Pretty much.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
kansasbbq
Art Freak

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Steamboat Willie ships in May. Why not wait and sell it in April or May?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Relevant
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm

kansasbbq wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:26 pm
Steamboat Willie ships in May. Why not wait and sell it in April or May?
They probably are short on cash flow.

It's bizarre to me that they are moving in this direction where they are essentially marketing themselves as a merch company with "buy now!!" messaging but sticking with the shipping times of a boutique company.

[e.g] the fact that they are selling $25 distributed five inch books with February shipping "estimates" and you can get the same fudge on amazon for half price and next day shipping.

I don't care how big of warehouse you move to, you can't market to general consumers and retain four-five month shipping. I guarantee that their "new website" whenever it gets designed will be something that pushes inventory, like showing more products per page and flash sales and yada yada yada.
ghornett
EB Trainee

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Wasn't the flatfile sale a huge injection of cash?