Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

Go on Facebook and see what people consider a grail.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 am

egrimens wrote:
matowest wrote:If it can be easily obtained on the aftermarket for under $160 shipped to your door, it is not a grail. It is an impulse buy.
If it was released today and you missed the opportunity to buy it for cost, it is not a grail. It is a missed opportunity.

This is just wrong.

I'm not saying Doom will be a "Grail" by any stretch of the word, but you might want to take a look at the sales history for Durieux's Jaws (that's a "Grail" right?) for the first couple of days...
Some things can take time to become grails, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist at one point as a relatively more attainable item.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:59 am

howdyall wrote:Gary doesn't do grails
laughed out loud :lol:
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:06 am

jkw3000 wrote:
egrimens wrote:
matowest wrote:If it can be easily obtained on the aftermarket for under $160 shipped to your door, it is not a grail. It is an impulse buy.
If it was released today and you missed the opportunity to buy it for cost, it is not a grail. It is a missed opportunity.

This is just wrong.

I'm not saying Doom will be a "Grail" by any stretch of the word, but you might want to take a look at the sales history for Durieux's Jaws (that's a "Grail" right?) for the first couple of days...
Some things can take time to become grails, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist at one point as a relatively more attainable item.
Pre-hype on a piece can lead to FOMO and drive it up prior to drop only have it fall off afterwards.

Shaw Get Out was a classic case of this via FB threads. Dan really got that FOMO going prior to drop. Funny stuff. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:13 am

^^^luls I remember that. There were many a “Get Out Waffles” if I remember correctly.

FB groups are the worst, especially the FB poster collecting “celebrities” :lol:
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:25 am

not really. Dan just wanted to cover his bases and asked for a hand, then people thought it was going to flip to the heavens.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:38 am

35mmpaul wrote:not really. Dan just wanted to cover his bases and asked for a hand, then people thought it was going to flip to the heavens.
The whiff of potential ROI drives many substandard products to a quick sellout.

Quickly followed by 'remorse', 'car troubles', wife's 'dislike' of the art or them suddenly 'landing a major ISO'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 am

rubberneck wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:not really. Dan just wanted to cover his bases and asked for a hand, then people thought it was going to flip to the heavens.
The whiff of potential ROI drives many substandard products to a quick sellout.

Quickly followed by 'remorse', 'car troubles', wife's 'dislike' of the art or them suddenly 'landing a major ISO'.
PB Backed out, baby was unexpectedly born, lost my job right after the drop...
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:52 am

One time I really did have a pb back out tho. I ended up selling them for cost to someone else, now they sell for tons! what a dummy!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:56 am

If it's readily available for sale at any price, it ain't a grail. #grails4poors
Last edited by Codeblue on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:59 am

matowest wrote:
egrimens wrote:

This is just wrong.

K, but like, literally no one was calling Jaws a grail on drop day. Took a while. Doom might become a grail in a few years (it won't), but it's not a grail on day one, which was largely my point.
I still stand by my initial assessment that it sucks.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Codeblue wrote:If it's readily available for sale at any price, it ain't a grail. #grails4poors
Hot take: all grails are grails 4 poorz

If the top end of your “hobby” is the $500-1k range, that says it all.
matowest
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:09 pm

KSUvet wrote:
matowest wrote:
egrimens wrote:

This is just wrong.

K, but like, literally no one was calling Jaws a grail on drop day. Took a while. Doom might become a grail in a few years (it won't), but it's not a grail on day one, which was largely my point.
I still stand by my initial assessment that it sucks.
It's no Batman Eats A Sandwich, that's for sure
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Luls. They really consider that fudge grails? I was thinking 1k+ is what they were talking about.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Expensive and nobody's selling. Plenty of expensive things out there, part of the point of a grail is just how hard it is to get a bite even if you have what many would consider a pretty substantial offer. But I guess that factors into "expensive" I suppose.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.