Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
Posts: 25713
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Posterlover90 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
Posterlover90 wrote:
Buckhammer wrote:all those Doom posters sold in 7 minutes yet that Birds poster took like 30 minutes or more... I just dont know anymore.
I think its three things with that DOOM print:

1. People are taking their chances that they can flip this
2. It's not often a company like Mondo releases a poster for a videogame
3. Noobs get a shot at acquiring a Mondoz poster.
Lots of entitled people in here. :roll:
RWYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0


"rara charta, gravi negotio"
howdyall
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:12 am

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:03 pm

was there a drop this morning?

I wasn't paying attention, nothing original on the radar
User avatar
Posterlover90
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 pm

YARBWYR :)
- Love screenprints, films, books and life -
User avatar
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:16 am

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Posterlover90 wrote: Lots of jaded people in here. :roll:
I'm just enjoying the entertainment of people who think they just snagged a grail.
Image
User avatar
bapaik
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Posterlover90 wrote:
bapaik wrote:I can't believe all of them sold out. Nothing against Gabz, just can't believe that many prints for DOOM sold out.
The game has sold over 2 million copies on PC alone.
It just takes about 0.03 percent of them who want a print of the game to sell out.
That's not a bad point. But you know that's not the case here...prints on ebay and all. I'm not doubting DOOM's popularity, more or less that this was an enormous run, sold out in a few minutes. In comparison, there have been lower numbered runs that last a long time.

Video games, aside -- it just surprised me that that many were sold.
User avatar
Posterlover90
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:08 pm

EgoDeath wrote:
Posterlover90 wrote: Lots of jaded people in here. :roll:
I'm just enjoying the entertainment of people who think they just snagged a grail.
Isn't that the thing though? It could very well be a grail to many who purchased because I don't think there is a single screenprinted poster of Doom (2016) out there.
This hobby seems to be more and more about the value and obscurity of a print instead of the initial purpose of it all: to have alternative art of properties you love on your wall.

By now the amount of flippers out there for these posters are probably well aware of what it can cost them or make them.
But it seems if it isn't something the majority in here likes, it get's taken apart by a couple of 'collectors'.

Happy for Gabz that they sold out so quick and for those who have it framed in their home within a couple of months time, hope they do more videogame posters in the future!
- Love screenprints, films, books and life -
User avatar
Posterlover90
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:09 pm

bapaik wrote:
Posterlover90 wrote:
bapaik wrote:I can't believe all of them sold out. Nothing against Gabz, just can't believe that many prints for DOOM sold out.
The game has sold over 2 million copies on PC alone.
It just takes about 0.03 percent of them who want a print of the game to sell out.
That's not a bad point. But you know that's not the case here...prints on ebay and all. I'm not doubting DOOM's popularity, more or less that this was an enormous run, sold out in a few minutes. In comparison, there have been lower numbered runs that last a long time.

Video games, aside -- it just surprised me that that many were sold.
I see where you're coming from.
But I think the outcome is the same, those flippers buy them to sell them with profit and if there was nobody constantly buying them the flipping would stop.
So there probably is a decent audience for them i think.
- Love screenprints, films, books and life -
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23207
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:12 pm

There's a run of 500 on this, and a reg run that went on Mondo, and it's relatively harder to find.

Image

Plenty of video game fans out there. Whether it's correct to value this as a ZOMG grail or whatever is beside the point that 600 copies for a print of a popular video game selling out is not that farfetched.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
bapaik
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:16 pm

GTFO WITH ALL OF YOUR LOGICAL ARGUMENTS I WONT STAND FOR IT.

Seriously, though, I shouldn't be surprised, but I just am.
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
Posts: 25713
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 pm

jkw3000 wrote:There's a run of 500 on this, and a reg run that went on Mondo, and it's relatively harder to find.

Image

Plenty of video game fans out there. Whether it's correct to value this as a ZOMG grail or whatever is beside the point that 600 copies for a print of a popular video game selling out is not that farfetched.
But we need these answers Joe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0


"rara charta, gravi negotio"
User avatar
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:16 am

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:18 pm

I just view a lot of what Mondo has done recently as capitalizing on their brand name and reputation in lieu of making thoughtful decisions about what they release.

I think the poster is neat though.
Image
User avatar
Posterlover90
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 pm

EgoDeath wrote:I just view a lot of what Mondo has done recently as capitalizing on their brand name and reputation in lieu of making thoughtful decisions about what they release.

I think the poster is neat though.
They sure seem to, but as long as the sheep keep buying it...
- Love screenprints, films, books and life -
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23207
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

EgoDeath wrote:I just view a lot of what Mondo has done recently as capitalizing on their brand name and reputation in lieu of making thoughtful decisions about what they release.
Fair point. Though I'm curious about all the other factors in play that kind of affect what they're doing, ie spreading themselves too thin, more compromises and restrictions as more licenses come in, sheer quantity affecting how we perceive "quality", etc.

As for Doom, I don't actually have any strong feelings for the property either way, but video game fans aren't that far off from this kind of hobbyist field, what with all the limited editions and conventions and camping out for console releases. We're all in the insane asylum, just for different reasons I guess.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52575
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Luls @ ya'll trying to be logical about the behavior of Mondos.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23207
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Image
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Post Reply