Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:54 pm

VenomAT wrote:
Zer0T0lerance00 wrote:The one thing about this Jaws release I don't understand is why only charge $150 for the print. Doesn't make any sense.
Actually wondered that as well including release size. Is that the movie company setting that mandate or does Mondo have a magic formula, as they could easily have sold those for 300 without blinking an eye or done a timed release and made a fortune (even with exclusivity being a consideration this would have sold thousands)

Yep, this was not a standard print drop, this was JAWS. May as well have been the one sheets from Star Wars. One of the most iconic films of all time, this was hyped on everywhere from Gizmodo to Newsweek. An edition of 1000 each wouldn't even have sufficed. That load is enormous but ALL would sell.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm enjoying the annual pre-July 4th Mondo Jaws drop butthurt.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Devours wrote: Yep, this was not a standard print drop, this was JAWS. May as well have been the one sheets from Star Wars. One of the most iconic films of all time, this was hyped on everywhere from Gizmodo to Newsweek. An edition of 1000 each wouldn't even have sufficed. That load is enormous but ALL would sell.
Yeah this is the only thing that bothers me. I know there will always be people faster than me. But for the attention and desire they know this was going to get, they should've made this edition bigger or the price higher. I understand it probably wasn't up to them, but anyway that is always what I have a problem with.

"Recreation of one of the most iconic movie posters of all time, signed by the original artist......hmm edition of 280 seems about right" lol
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:04 pm

jkw3000 wrote:I'm enjoying the annual pre-July 4th Mondo Jaws drop butthurt.
The fireworks on FB and Twitter have really been a Jaw-dropping experience, really blowing me out of the water.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
whiskaz
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:06 pm

On the flipside (...) the low edition size is kind of refreshing. I was pretty burnt out (even skipped that BttF from bgn awhile back) but probably would have jumped on this had it been timed, even at that price point.

I would like to know how the decision was made but I'm just going to assume "licensing".
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:13 pm

bmd1191 wrote:"Recreation of one of the most iconic movie posters of all time, signed by the original artist......hmm edition of 280 seems about right" lol
probably a rights issue. especially with the 'no shipping outside the us'' and not being able to use 'soundtrack on universal'
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:14 pm

whiskaz wrote: I would like to know how the decision was made but I'm just going to assume "licensing".
I mean, they can sell one internationally but not the other - I gotta imagine licensing was a factor.

Well, that and not forcing Kastel to sign a thousand prints. Ain't got no time for that fudge.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
whiskaz wrote: I would like to know how the decision was made but I'm just going to assume "licensing".
I mean, they can sell one internationally but not the other - I gotta imagine licensing was a factor.

Well, that and not forcing Kastel to sign a thousand prints. Ain't got no time for that fudge.
True re: international sales.

Any clue how many hcg bttf sold? Of course I guess they charged extra for a sig... Still about the same price. I had to pretend like that release didn't exist/happen. Just went on about my business.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Knowing won't put a print in your flat file.
mexicoisfun
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Due to work I am not able to play the F5 game so a bot for most drops is the only way I can pick up prints. That being said this sell out wasn't due to bots. I ran 3 and because of the way Mondo dropped this, the jaws prints were in the posters section and then 20 seconds later on the main page. Bots just scrape the main page and the print was sold by the time they dropped there. I'm having talks with a dev right now for a modified bot that will get around this. I know most people hate bots, but I'll take any edge I can get. I don't want to pay premium on the aftermarket if I can avoid it. This was simply a numbers game, 280 prints VS the world. Congrats to everyone that scored! I really wanted this to put next to my Struzan Thing.
flip flip flipadelphia
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:21 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:23 pm

mexicoisfun wrote:Due to work I am not able to play the F5 game so a bot for most drops is the only way I can pick up prints. That being said this sell out wasn't due to bots. I ran 3 and because of the way Mondo dropped this, the jaws prints were in the posters section and then 20 seconds later on the main page. Bots just scrape the main page and the print was sold by the time they dropped there. I'm having talks with a dev right now for a modified bot that will get around this. I know most people hate bots, but I'll take any edge I can get. I don't want to pay premium on the aftermarket if I can avoid it. This was simply a numbers game, 280 prints VS the world. Congrats to everyone that scored! I really wanted this to put next to my Struzan Thing.
Print wasn't sold out by the time it made the front page.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:23 pm

mexicoisfun wrote:Due to work I am not able to play the F5 game so a bot for most drops is the only way I can pick up prints. That being said this sell out wasn't due to bots. I ran 3 and because of the way Mondo dropped this, the jaws prints were in the posters section and then 20 seconds later on the main page. Bots just scrape the main page and the print was sold by the time they dropped there. I'm having talks with a dev right now for a modified bot that will get around this. I know most people hate bots, but I'll take any edge I can get. I don't want to pay premium on the aftermarket if I can avoid it. This was simply a numbers game, 280 prints VS the world. Congrats to everyone that scored! I really wanted this to put next to my Struzan Thing.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm

uhhhh...
whiskaz
Art Expert

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Maybe start by hiring a better dev...