Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:50 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Someone on FB mentioned the anal collectors for Funko Pops and their obsessive scrutiny over box condition is something to behold. $15 toys with expectations of antique handling and packaging.

Same with SW Black Series collectors. Rants on FB about how Amazon warehouse staff 'mishandled' their collectibles. Sending long winded emails to amazon on how to ship and pack their product. Some unintentional hilarious and freakish comments. 8)
Funko fans are for sure the worst on overly worrying about the packaging. This coming from someone who started collecting baseball cards and comics long ago.
I bought a ton of Funkos for my kids . . . almost all are out of package and collecting dust on their bookshelves. They are sort of outgrowing them now, so I need to clean, repackage, and get them sold now before that market busts, which I think is about 6 months away. Talk about over-saturation. It's like 90s eXXtreme Studios Liefeld comics all over again.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

hunterjax wrote:I bought a ton of Funkos for my kids . . . almost all are out of package and collecting dust on their bookshelves. They are sort of outgrowing them now, so I need to clean, repackage, and get them sold now before that market busts, which I think is about 6 months away. Talk about over-saturation. It's like 90s eXXtreme Studios Liefeld comics all over again.
As someone who goes to both Mondo and Funko events....mondo stuff will easily "Bust" before Funko. They have a much bigger loyal fanbase than mondo could ever hope for.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

I have never seen grown men(children) act the fool as much as I have over some Funko fudge. Literally the most pathetic thing I've eva seen.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm

Codeblue wrote:I have never seen grown men(children) act the fool as much as I have over some Funko fudge. Literally the most pathetic thing I've eva seen.
Come on you have been on EB long enough to know there are plenty of man child's in this hobby too.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:02 pm

#neverforget
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:04 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
hunterjax wrote:I bought a ton of Funkos for my kids . . . almost all are out of package and collecting dust on their bookshelves. They are sort of outgrowing them now, so I need to clean, repackage, and get them sold now before that market busts, which I think is about 6 months away. Talk about over-saturation. It's like 90s eXXtreme Studios Liefeld comics all over again.
As someone who goes to both Mondo and Funko events....mondo stuff will easily "Bust" before Funko. They have a much bigger loyal fanbase than mondo could ever hope for.
Really? wow, I guess I didn't realize just how big a market it was - I did see someone on FB in MT sell some rare ones to a European buyer for like $5000 for three Pops! I thought that was insane.

Maybe I should start getting them out the door. :D
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Codeblue wrote:I have never seen grown men(children) act the fool as much as I have over some Funko fudge. Literally the most pathetic thing I've eva seen.
#storytime
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 pm

If ya ever make it to SDCC you'll see. Basically EBers lining up for days in advance and then having dozens of other peeps jump in line. People literally pushing, fighting, and injuring each other for that fudge.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Codeblue wrote:If ya ever make it to SDCC you'll see.
I went to Fundays at SDCC last year. I also tried to get in the line for Mondo's drop of the Mike Mitchell Star Wars portrait.....guess which went more smoothly.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Codeblue wrote:If ya ever make it to SDCC you'll see. Basically EBers lining up for days in advance and then having dozens of other peeps jump in line. People literally pushing, fighting, and injuring each other for that fudge.
ah, I have a friend that goes every year and I usually ask him to pick some stuff up for me (Super7 exclusives mainly); I have never asked him to pick up Pops! (or Mondo for that matter) because he told me a similar story about a fight breaking out over My Little Pony pops . . . I laughed so much about it, even when I really wanted to have him pick up something for my daughter I couldn't put him through that.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:If ya ever make it to SDCC you'll see. Basically EBers lining up for days in advance and then having dozens of other peeps jump in line. People literally pushing, fighting, and injuring each other for that fudge.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Nope...can't pull the trigger
steve5635
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm

predator variant for me, picked up the rakka as well, always loved the skull artwork
toobs
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm

jmagee87 wrote:That golden ticket entitlement though
just entitlement in general of most new collectors in the past couple of years is insane, and don't get me started on "flaws" on prints, people expect 50% off when they see a 1mm scuff or bend in the border of prints
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 pm

I was just having a discussion about Funkos last night after watching Toys That Made Us on Netflix... wondering if that documentary was made twenty years from now... Funko would certainly be one of the brands that would be covered. I hate the things - I think they look lame.

But I agree, the Mondo "bubble" will "bust" way before Funko... mostly because Funko seems to get any and every license and franchise imaginable... these pop culture galleries are all pulling from the same handful of franchises.