Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu May 11, 2017 2:46 pm

thanks for posting that Role Recall - hadn't seen it. Nice little piece.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 11, 2017 2:49 pm

hunterjax wrote:@rubberneck - Yes! on Nil by Mouth.

I mean, he definitely has had more important roles than the two I put, but I just enjoy those the most. Most likely my favorite actor - would be hard pressed to think of someone who's work I've enjoyed more. Maybe DeNiro and Daniel Day Lewis . . . but would be a tough choice.

This fact still amazes me. I prefer it to 5th element and saw it 3 times on theatrical release. My first ever CD was the OST. 8)

Besson planned Léon as a filler project. At the time, the director had already started working on The Fifth Element (also starring Gary Oldman), but production was delayed due to lead actor Bruce Willis' schedule. Rather than dismiss the production team and lose his creative momentum, Besson wrote Léon. It took him 30 days to write and the shoot lasted 90 days. Besson got the idea for Léon while working on his previous movie, La Femme Nikita. In that film's third act, Victor the Cleaner (played by Reno) appears to deal with the aftermath of Nikita's botched mission. Realizing the character was underused in the movie, Besson decided to create a story that focused on the activities of such a man. Both Victor and Léon appear dressed in a long wool coat, sunglasses, and a knit cap. The Professional's working title was The Cleaner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu May 11, 2017 2:53 pm

rubberneck wrote:
hunterjax wrote:@rubberneck - Yes! on Nil by Mouth.

I mean, he definitely has had more important roles than the two I put, but I just enjoy those the most. Most likely my favorite actor - would be hard pressed to think of someone who's work I've enjoyed more. Maybe DeNiro and Daniel Day Lewis . . . but would be a tough choice.

This fact still amazes me. I prefer it to 5th element and saw it 3 times on theatrical release. My first ever CD was the OST. 8)

Besson planned Léon as a filler project. At the time, the director had already started working on The Fifth Element (also starring Gary Oldman), but production was delayed due to lead actor Bruce Willis' schedule. Rather than dismiss the production team and lose his creative momentum, Besson wrote Léon. It took him 30 days to write and the shoot lasted 90 days. Besson got the idea for Léon while working on his previous movie, La Femme Nikita. In that film's third act, Victor the Cleaner (played by Reno) appears to deal with the aftermath of Nikita's botched mission. Realizing the character was underused in the movie, Besson decided to create a story that focused on the activities of such a man. Both Victor and Léon appear dressed in a long wool coat, sunglasses, and a knit cap. The Professional's working title was The Cleaner.
90 days. In the midst of another MASSIVE picture shoot.

The Professional/Leon is still one of my favorite films. Also saw it in release a bunch - tried to drag everyone I could to it, including two different first dates, ha.
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

I rented Leon on VHS when I was 10, just because I was intrigued by the critic quote on the front: "Makes 'Speed' look like a slow ride to grandma's house." Ultimately, comparing Leon to Speed is like comparing Boyz In The Hood to Don't Be A Menace, but hey! It got me to watch the movie. In my top ten of the 90s for sure.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Leon's def my favorite Besson.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
steelbooklover
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 12, 2017 10:16 am

Print version of the artwork being planned? I think it's really nice but usually don't go for vinyl.
agr719
Art Expert

Fri May 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Interesting how they fixed the art for the vinyl, but still released the print as-is last year (unless I'm remembering that wrong).

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/alien- ... ork-update
Mondo wrote:We wanted to take a moment to update everyone on an art revision we made to our recent album release: ALIEN - ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK 2XLP.

A few of our die-hard ALIEN fans reached out to us upon the soundtrack’s announcement that the xenomorph depicted on the album’s cover was incorrect. Turns out we were so excited by Kilian’s incredibly detailed art that we didn’t notice that the Xeno was off model.

We love this film so much and always strive for accuracy, so when we brought it up to Kilian he was more than happy to jump back in and make the adjustment. The one good thing about long vinyl manufacturing lead times is that we were able to make a revision to the artwork and not effect the production.

Thanks to all of our xeno-loving fans out there for keeping us on our toes, and we look forward to getting these out to you this Fall.

mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 12, 2017 12:55 pm

agr719 wrote:Interesting how they fixed the art for the vinyl, but still released the print as-is last year (unless I'm remembering that wrong).

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/alien- ... ork-update
Mondo wrote:We wanted to take a moment to update everyone on an art revision we made to our recent album release: ALIEN - ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK 2XLP.

A few of our die-hard ALIEN fans reached out to us upon the soundtrack’s announcement that the xenomorph depicted on the album’s cover was incorrect. Turns out we were so excited by Kilian’s incredibly detailed art that we didn’t notice that the Xeno was off model.

We love this film so much and always strive for accuracy, so when we brought it up to Kilian he was more than happy to jump back in and make the adjustment. The one good thing about long vinyl manufacturing lead times is that we were able to make a revision to the artwork and not effect the production.

Thanks to all of our xeno-loving fans out there for keeping us on our toes, and we look forward to getting these out to you this Fall.

The Mike Saputo Alien print from also featured the wrong Xenomorph.
agr719
Art Expert

Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm

I think that one's correct, actually. I think.

http://expressobeans.com/public/detail. ... 156/298289
mcnail wrote:Ha, EB, y'all crazy.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon May 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Image Image

So it goes...
pittidesart
Art Expert

Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 pm

agr719 wrote:I think that one's correct, actually. I think.

Yes it is correct, the original suit had a clear dome to show the skull underneath
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
finneganm wrote:You going to start making rugs?
rubberneck
Art God

Mon May 15, 2017 5:45 pm

pittidesart wrote:
agr719 wrote:I think that one's correct, actually. I think.

Yes it is correct, the original suit had a clear dome to show the skull underneath
But not too much, Ridley decided without eyes it was more creepy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am

I forgot about the drop until I saw Mondo's tweet. Went to the site and saw this Shopify message:

"This page is temporarily unavailable because a device from your location is sending large amounts of web requests. Visitors from other locations can still view the page."

I would understand why I'd get this had I been on the site refreshing for a 20 minutes, but that wasn't the case (at least, not today).

Is anyone else getting this?
jayper
Art Expert

Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am

onesheet wrote:I forgot about the drop until I saw Mondo's tweet. Went to the site and saw this Shopify message:

"This page is temporarily unavailable because a device from your location is sending large amounts of web requests. Visitors from other locations can still view the page."

I would understand why I'd get this had I been on the site refreshing for a 20 minutes, but that wasn't the case (at least, not today).

I saw that last week with the Obey drop. Seems Shopify is doing temporary IP bans.

You on corporate internet? If you truly weren't refreshing, it could be someone else in your building.
onesheet
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 pm

jayper wrote:
onesheet wrote:I forgot about the drop until I saw Mondo's tweet. Went to the site and saw this Shopify message:

I saw that last week with the Obey drop. Seems Shopify is doing temporary IP bans.

You on corporate internet? If you truly weren't refreshing, it could be someone else in your building.
Good question and was wondering the same thing. There is a tiny possibility someone else in our small office may be visiting Mondo or another Shopify site, but it's highly doubtful. Maybe it's my C4C extension? Will have to test.