Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:22 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:I'm not convinced this "Completely carted in one second" is done by only people....

Randomize poster identifiers with each serving of the page.
Remove everything that can tie the URL to the particular print itself.
Remove any references to the name of the item from all HTML.
Force the page to require javascript. Would screw over a group of people, but it would knock out a particular category of bot.

That's all probably pretty hard if you're stuck augmenting shopify, but I don't have enough experience with that to know for sure.
100k followers on their Facebook Page
100k Followers on their Twitter Page

So for Drive, if .04% of their following showed up to purchase it would've been carted. So yes it's possible.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Some valid points, but the issue has been and always will be just human nature. There used to be no carting with Mondo, people asked for carting/cart holds, and lo and behold we have some minor capacity to cart with all the complaints it entails. Somebody's always going to get screwed. Doesn't mean we can't improve the system, certainly, but the fault may not lie in our stars and all.
I wonder if the after market pricing spike is part of what frustrates people. Mondo could just jack prices and bring it inline with demand.
kember
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Reselling Mondo posters isn't a business, the markups are too risky and minimal to warrant any interest from anyone looking to make actual money.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that more than 400 humans around the world might want the same thing they do, and are willing to sit refreshing a page to get it.

Throw in a couple of students with nothing better to do that see an opportunity to make a quick bit of cash, and you've got instant sellout.

What's hard to explain to someone is the speed you have to work at, which is why it's pointless trying to get a friend that doesn't collect paper to try and help you out. "I entered my password and it was gone, what the hell!" isn't really an excuse, you just have to be faster, copy paste your password at the very least.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 pm

kember wrote:Reselling Mondo posters isn't a business, the markups are too risky and minimal to warrant any interest from anyone looking to make actual money.

Why do people find it so hard to believe that more than 400 humans around the world might want the same thing they do, and are willing to sit refreshing a page to get it.
Same people who think 9/11 was an inside job, etc, probably. Logic is lost on some... Kind of surprised Mondo even made a post about it.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:30 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Some valid points, but the issue has been and always will be just human nature. There used to be no carting with Mondo, people asked for carting/cart holds, and lo and behold we have some minor capacity to cart with all the complaints it entails. Somebody's always going to get screwed. Doesn't mean we can't improve the system, certainly, but the fault may not lie in our stars and all.
I wonder if the after market pricing spike is part of what frustrates people. Mondo could just jack prices and bring it inline with demand.
But then Ebay prices would rise as well?
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:36 pm

I wonder if there's too significant amount of prints going into boxes, and higher prices could balance that back toward living on walls instead of in boxes?

I'd be surprised if that print ends up on 400 walls despite the number of followers on facebook and twitter.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

So then people will complain that prices are too high.

You really want to pay $150 for an Alien poster? Or an American Honey poster?
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:So then people will complain that prices are too high.

You really want to pay $150 for an Alien poster? Or an American Honey poster?
Me? Definitely not. Ghibli related artwork? I could absolutely pay that much (and have paid way more).

But would 400 people pay that much? Maybe. It would certainly make the business more risky, but if a print doesn't have a large appeal, they can just sell it for less to more of their 100,000 person pool.
Last edited by rerocustom1989 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:I wonder if there's too significant amount of prints going into boxes, and higher prices could balance that back toward living on walls instead of in boxes?

I'd be surprised if that print ends up on 400 walls despite the number of followers on facebook and twitter.
Framing everything does not make you a more virtuous fan. Plenty of folk collect paper and don't frame it. They still enjoy looking at the art, despite not having it draped off every available piece of wall space.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 pm

bert wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:I wonder if there's too significant amount of prints going into boxes, and higher prices could balance that back toward living on walls instead of in boxes?

Framing everything does not make you a more virtuous fan. Plenty of folk collect paper and don't frame it. They still enjoy looking at the art, despite not having it draped off every available piece of wall space.
Perhaps. For people with flat files 30 posters deep, how often is the print that's 14 down looked at?
Last edited by rerocustom1989 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:45 pm

One could argue the higher prices would warrant putting it in a box even moreso, where it's safe. You're not wrong in thinking people are just gonna flatfile em though, because we're all terrible, terrible people. :lol:

The aftermarket is the aftermarket, very few times can people predict something's gonna be a huge hit that'll go for X amount of dollars. Heck most of the furor/butthurt was probably fueled by a year without a Mondo Stout release and several timed editions placating folks. I wouldn't have expected another Drive print to generate this level of interest, but I'm also not very bright so whatevs.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 pm

I doubt that will happen. It wont help.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:47 pm

RPuzio77 wrote:Being a 13er, I missed the glory days of Mondo drops, like Moss or Stout Star Wars, or name your Horkey, or any of the other great prints, that being said what would the FALLOUT be like today with one of those missed drops?
I carted the Moss SW trilogy and lost and my butt still hurts about it.

At the time, I may even have commented on the Mondo FB page (I was sort of a noob still).

I cannot imagine the teeth-gnashing, hair-pulling, triggering that would happen now.
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

jkw3000 wrote:

I wouldn't have expected another Drive print to generate this level of interest, but I'm also not very bright so whatevs.
Me neither! Woulda ran tests man!
sincere86a
Art Expert

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:55 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:Perhaps. For people with flat files 30 posters deep, how often is the print that's 14 down looked at?
What difference does it make though? I have several Stouts sitting in a file. Does that somehow make me less of a fan than someone else?