Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:47 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
mfaith wrote:
rubberneck wrote:love these shows on netflix where you get all at once.
I know I'm in the minority, and i fully expect a bunch of name calling and piling on me for saying this, but i actually don't really like the Netflix release model. Where everyones just binge watching their content. I think it's somewhat harmful even. It kills the whole talking around the watercooler community aspect of fandom for a show. Remember when Sopranos was airing? Gauranteed the only thing everyone was talking about on monday morning was what happened on last night's sopranos. It became an event each week. Alllowed the creators to build suspense and then cash in on it with cliffhangers and plot twists etc. Putting everything out at once definitely satisfies the "I want it now" constituency but i think at the end of the day it's diminishing the overall experience.
I actually hate fudge like this. Game of Thrones has been consistently ruined for me because of people frothing at the mouth week to week to tell you who died and fudge.
Which is where I find it to be a mixed bag. I love binging when certain shows work better as a huge longform narrative (the connective strands tend to work better when your memory is fresh), but online culture's inability to stay quiet about it for long is the real issue - either you've binged ASAP or you're going to be swamped with spoilers by people/articles that binged ASAP. Some shows take on a near-mythic life of its own when given the week-to-week water cooler treatment, which is fun for conversation and great for building suspense, but you also see spoilers become an issue (like GoT) or the show falls into the danger of that myth-building becoming bigger than the show itself (like Lost).

It's all just different formats for consumption and I'm totally fine with having the options. More than anything I think people just need to be better about keeping cool stuff to themselves, be it binged or week to week, until a good place/platform for talking about it becomes apparent.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
AliRock110
Art Expert

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm a fan of the Netflix model, I just try to stay away from anything pertaining to those shows on the internet until I've gotten my binge on. But something like GOT presents two simple choices. Watch week to week or don't use social media until you've binged. No prob for me. I'll watch week to week and binge the season after its done to catch the nuances that were missed during the 1st viewing.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Until I started actually watching GoT (around the time Season 5 was starting up), I found it very easy to avoid spoilers. I didn't know any of the characters, etc. Accidentally reading a facebook post or news headline... made no difference. I don't think there was a single surprise ruined in all 4 of the first seasons. I start watching season 5, almost week to week. The finale airs, I'm planning to watch it Monday evening, first thing. I skim FB and what do I see... a characters name followed by major spoiler. Ugh. So yea, some shows I watch week to week, some I binge. Both have pros/cons. When I binge, I probably miss as much as I forget when I watch week to week or season to season. I don't have the time or desire to go back and rewatch seasons to refresh my memory either :P
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:48 am

Not a fan of the Netflix model either. I find binge-watching a little obscene, to be honest. Spending half the day on a couch watching one show seems a little crazy to me.

Seems like there are more shows than people nowadays. It's a little insane.
ApeironCreative
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:02 am

I like to watch shows in 3 episode blocks. Its enough content back to back to really get into it but not so much that you just feel exhausted watching it. Also, I find if I watch in multiple episode blocks I haven't forgotten the small details in the show by the time the next 3 come along.
Custom framing in the Greater Vancouver area - http://www.ApeironCreative.ca
Count
Art Expert

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:55 am

I watch 2 or 3 episodes at a go whenever I feel like it. One show at any one time, so I'll only move on to something else after I'm done with a season. I like watching stuff at my own time and pace so Netflix's model works for me. Especially for shorter seasons like Stanger Things, I much prefer they dump the entire season at one go.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:14 am

mfaith wrote:
rubberneck wrote:love these shows on netflix where you get all at once.
I know I'm in the minority, and i fully expect a bunch of name calling and piling on me for saying this, but i actually don't really like the Netflix release model. Where everyones just binge watching their content. I think it's somewhat harmful even. It kills the whole talking around the watercooler community aspect of fandom for a show. Remember when Sopranos was airing? Gauranteed the only thing everyone was talking about on monday morning was what happened on last night's sopranos. It became an event each week. Alllowed the creators to build suspense and then cash in on it with cliffhangers and plot twists etc. Putting everything out at once definitely satisfies the "I want it now" constituency but i think at the end of the day it's diminishing the overall experience.
I understand your sentiments. If I really love a show, I'll purposely put off watching the last couple of episodes to prolong the experience. I try not to watch more than a few episodes a day. It goes by a little too quickly now, I forget the show even existed by the time the next season is ready, and the patience level of everyone is diminishing.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Just received my POTA event edition vinyl, sound chip sample raises a smile.

Had the special edition score on cd for years, it also has the Escape suite as well. Fingers crossed for that ost on vinyl. Devin mentions it in his write up, so here's hoping.

Hoping for SF poster leftovers as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:58 pm

The Adam Simpson Vertigo variant arrived (finally!) yesterday. Beautiful print. A nice midcentury-modern vibe that fits the movie perfectly, and the way Adam chose to portray the story makes a lot of sense for the convoluted, twisted narrative structure in the movie. Vertigo gets a lot of poster attention, and this is one of my favorites.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Simpson is very underrated.
Zer0T0lerance00
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 am

bulkhead72 wrote:Simpson is very underrated.

Yes. His Rear Window and Vertigo are both awesome, especially the variants. Would love to see him use the same style for Rope.
bapaik
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 pm

I want him to do a Clue print so badly.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Zer0T0lerance00 wrote:
bulkhead72 wrote:Simpson is very underrated.

Yes. His Rear Window and Vertigo are both awesome, especially the variants. Would love to see him use the same style for Rope.
The 39 Steps is my favorite of his Hitchcock prints.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Yep, I picked up the variant the other day. So good.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:42 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Yep, I picked up the variant the other day. So good.
That's the one. The colors match the b&w of the movie really well. Underrated print and movie. Nice pick up :pint: