Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:56 pm

Bikejoh wrote:tl;dr required little design by Jay Shaw but a ton of impressive craftsmanship by Dan Black.. so who's the artist?
Set Photographer #3

edit:....Lawrence Schiller, maybe (thank you google!)
Last edited by DeadHand on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:58 pm

Likenesses are spot on!
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:00 pm

I'm very curious to see pictures of these when people get them, regardless . Since Dan seems like some sort of screenprinting genie.
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:20 pm

DeadHand wrote:I'm very curious to see pictures of these when people get them, regardless . Since Dan seems like some sort of screenprinting genie.
Dan IS a screenprint genie, as is the other half of Landland Jessica Seasmans. That studio cranks out quite an impressive array on a yearly basis whether it be gig poster or movie related.
pleasediedistro
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:51 pm

hey, I just said "seems" because he could very well be some variety of wizard or warlock instead. 8)
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:52 pm

DeadHand wrote:hey, I just said "seems" because he could very well be some variety of wizard or warlock instead. 8)
This is true who knows maybe he dabbles in alchemy and the blood of the innocent is mixed in with the ink so it looks that good. :twisted:

edit: I took this too far
pleasediedistro
mike123230
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:07 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
DeadHand wrote:hey, I just said "seems" because he could very well be some variety of wizard or warlock instead. 8)
This is true who knows maybe he dabbles in alchemy and the blood of the innocent is mixed in with the ink so it looks that good. :twisted:

or not far enough?
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
matowest wrote:
weshallallbe wrote:
Bikejoh wrote: What exactly did he do for this one? Title block?

I think charter was referring to the print for The American Dreamer. Either way I'm very much in favor of more Jay Shaw. His top 10 list this week was the best list (for anything) I've looked at in a long time.
He was joking. Because the poster is basically a photo and required virtually no design beyond the title block.
Except it required a very intricate process to print that I will only share once in here with you I am quoting directly from Dan Black himself, so before you start putting down a screenprinted photo let it be known that it's not just a photo.

"Those prints were essentially just printed CMYK, or, I guess it'd be YMCK if you wanna be specific...there wasn't really anything super custom about it, I don't think, aside from the fact that I ran the black through a diffusion dither, while printing the other three colors as standard halftones..."

CMYK, other wise known as four color process printing, is a process that separates an image into 4 different color values (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) small dots of each color are printed at different angles to print the created image, usually done on a rotating printer with separate screens on top for a faster process I know 100% for a fact that this poster was done with a semi automatic cameo press and was not an easy feat to print because it was not done with a press that would warrant ease of process. I feel like people will look at that poster that Jay did and say he didn't do much and you are not wrong but take the time to recognize the amount of craftsmanship and time that was put into screenprinting that image before just calling it a poster, because it is a screenprint, not some glicee spit out by a digital printer, this was done by hand.
FWIW, I wasn't knocking the art. Just explaining the joke. While it does look like a plain old photo, I'm sure screenprinting that photo took some doing. I have respect for the work involved by all.
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:34 pm

mike123230 wrote:
circlexcomplete wrote:

or not far enough?
LOL
pleasediedistro
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Who knew limited paper could be so complicated...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
circlexcomplete
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 pm

matowest wrote: FWIW, I wasn't knocking the art. Just explaining the joke. While it does look like a plain old photo, I'm sure screenprinting that photo took some doing. I have respect for the work involved by all.
FWIW people go to school to study printmaking and get 4 year degrees up to mfa focused in printmaking, I'd say it takes a lot more than just doing; printmaking in itself is another form of art. But what do I know, I'm just another face in the crowd lol it's all good just pointing out that everyone mentions jay shaw and then forgets to mention dan black, I'd say jay and dan split the work up 20/80 on this one, Jay got to have fun in adobe and Dan got to print it which is a labor of love that if you saw for yourself intimately would mean something entirely different to you.
pleasediedistro
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
matowest wrote: FWIW, I wasn't knocking the art. Just explaining the joke. While it does look like a plain old photo, I'm sure screenprinting that photo took some doing. I have respect for the work involved by all.
FWIW people go to school to study printmaking and get 4 year degrees up to mfa focused in printmaking, I'd say it takes a lot more than just doing; printmaking in itself is another form of art. But what do I know, I'm just another face in the crowd lol it's all good just pointing out that everyone mentions jay shaw and then forgets to mention dan black, I'd say jay and dan split the work up 20/80 on this one, Jay got to have fun in adobe and Dan got to print it which is a labor of love that if you saw for yourself intimately would mean something entirely different to you.
Jesus Christ, man. I was trying to walk back my comment, which was never actually intended as a slam on the artist, printer or print in the first place.

May you buy a dozen, sir
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:50 pm

circlexcomplete wrote:
Not bad for an art connoisseur...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm

So... that Bone Tomahawk is pretty great. I like the subtlety. Anything too over the top would've got a pass, but I can hang this and it's a perfect excuse to school guests on this film masterpiece. "Splitting good time!" Nice.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:54 pm

1. Dan Black is the man.
2. Screen printing is an art form.
3. Why the drymount are we arguing about a Jay shaw poster?
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.