Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23205
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:36 am

Academy Awards mean nothing in retrospect, but that's a whooooole other conversation. :P

Gladiator's not a bad film at all, not brilliant (it's like a subgenre in itself - historical fiction, just-but-badass male lead wronged in some way involving his family, fight against an oppressor to save their land) but I'd say pretty well-executed. I mean, "Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next" is pretty badass any way you slice it. :P Definitely not as big in the kind of circles that collect Mondo posters though, so guessing this gets in the hands of the far more casual fans (and good for them, god knows we hoard enough Marvel/SW/scifi/Tarantino stuff anyway).

Now The Patriot though...that was a trainwreck.
Last edited by jkw3000 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Particle
Art Expert
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 am
Location: New York City

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 am

c0bbz wrote:
Particle wrote:

Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
He's a terrible person, but has time and time again proved he's capable of making great art. It's come up in here before, but I fully believe in separation of art and artist, unless the artist's reprehensible traits are actually present in the work of art at hand (see: Passion of the Christ).

One (or even a few) drunken anti-semitic rants from someone who has spent most of his life working in Hollywood does not make you a bad person. Let the one who has never made a racist or bigoted commet in their life cast the first stone.
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23205
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 am

Particle wrote:
c0bbz wrote:
Particle wrote:

Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
He's a terrible person, but has time and time again proved he's capable of making great art. It's come up in here before, but I fully believe in separation of art and artist, unless the artist's reprehensible traits are actually present in the work of art at hand (see: Passion of the Christ).

One (or even a few) drunken anti-semitic rants from someone who has spent most of his life working in Hollywood does not make you a bad person.
Starring in Expendables 3 does. ;)
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
jal9000
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: North Texas

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 am

beetlejuice wrote:Did Home Alone and Tom and Jerry ship out yet?
I got mine several weeks ago.
User avatar
c0bbz
Art Expert
Posts: 2980
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:50 am

Particle wrote:
c0bbz wrote:

One (or even a few) drunken anti-semitic rants from someone who has spent most of his life working in Hollywood does not make you a bad person. Let the one who has never made a racist or bigoted commet in their life cast the first stone.
I'd wager that making an semitic movie does, though.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
Particle
Art Expert
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 am
Location: New York City

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

c0bbz wrote:
Particle wrote:
c0bbz wrote:

One (or even a few) drunken anti-semitic rants from someone who has spent most of his life working in Hollywood does not make you a bad person. Let the one who has never made a racist or bigoted commet in their life cast the first stone.
I'd wager that making an semitic movie does, though.
I don't think it's an anti-semetic movie. Identifying the Jews as the ones responsible for killing Jesus is not, by iteself, an ant-semetic statement. It is actually a popular interpretation of the events in the Bible, like it or not, all four gospels imply Jews brought Jesus to trial for punishment by the Romans because they themselves could not punish other Jews. I think the movie makes a point to exagerate this interpretation, to perhaps even an unfair point, I will agree, and this is what offends Jews. But you can't call the movie anti-semetc without calling the Bible anti-semetic.
User avatar
DeadHand
Art Expert
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 am
Location: Chicago

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Particle wrote: Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
Sorry I wasn't trying to start something. I was just saying his more controversial comments have tainted his legacy for quite a few. I should have worded it better and would have if I had known it was an issue or past issue.

I just think of Braveheart and Gladiator as occupying a similar realm. So it came to mind (in terms of movies that don't get mentioned) and I talked more than I should have. And I was too casual with my phrasing.
Particle
Art Expert
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 am
Location: New York City

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:09 pm

DeadHand wrote:
Particle wrote: Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
Sorry I wasn't trying to start something.

No need to apologize, I am always looking for a good, decent, or even a poor reason to debate Mel Gibson.
User avatar
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:15 am
Location: New York

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Particle wrote:
c0bbz wrote:
Particle wrote:
c0bbz wrote:

One (or even a few) drunken anti-semitic rants from someone who has spent most of his life working in Hollywood does not make you a bad person. Let the one who has never made a racist or bigoted commet in their life cast the first stone.
I'd wager that making an semitic movie does, though.
I don't think it's an anti-semetic movie. Identifying the Jews as the ones responsible for killing Jesus is not, by iteself, an ant-semetic statement. It is actually a popular interpretation of the events in the Bible, like it or not, all four gospels imply Jews brought Jesus to trial for punishment by the Romans because they themselves could not punish other Jews. I think the movie makes a point to exagerate this interpretation, to perhaps even an unfair point, I will agree, and this is what offends Jews. But you can't call the movie anti-semetc without calling the Bible anti-semetic.
I don't want to start an argument. You're of course entitled to your opinion. But that's a false equivalency for one very important reason: the catholic church denounced that interpretation of the bible years ago, because of the hate it incited towards Jews. It's one of the main reasons jews were persecuted for thousands of years, and historians have repeatedly stated that it's not really accurate. Pilate was no hero, and was not forced to kill jesus. To create a movie based on "passion plays," which was a driving force in inciting hatred towards jews is completely different than the average off hand bigoted remark.

I don't disagree that we've all said stupid things. But, to me, this guy actually believes the crazy fudge that comes out of his mouth.
User avatar
c0bbz
Art Expert
Posts: 2980
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 pm

DeadHand wrote:
Particle wrote: Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
Sorry I wasn't trying to start something.
You've incited actual discussion in the Mondo thread. What the hell are you apologizing for?

And Particle, what Prisco said.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
User avatar
jayper
Art Expert
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 pm

How likely is it that Mondo is still working on shipping out remaining Batman prints from the Anniversary show?

I received all of mine weeks ago, but I bought a "pre-order" on eBay for a missing piece and they continue to claim that it hasn't shipped yet...

Getting nervous.
User avatar
Darkknight37
Art Expert
Posts: 7841
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Up! +1 Var!
User avatar
jayper
Art Expert
Posts: 2032
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 am

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Gladiator up! Got a regular!!!!!
User avatar
TonyC
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:57 am

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:36 pm

+1 Reg. Early drop today, wasn't even F5ing yet.
User avatar
swabie2424
Art Expert
Posts: 2188
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:45 pm
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:36 pm

+1 reg. (Liked the color better)

I'm such a sucker for Ansin. Just love that guy's work.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Post Reply