Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:08 am

Agreed on both counts. Gladiator and Braveheart are both well made, and have some nifty battle scenes. That's about it.
Image ISO FILM NOIR Image
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:09 am

DeadHand wrote:
fitz wrote:It is kind of odd just how huge Gladiator was when it came out to pretty much never be talked about anymore, it doesnt seem to have developed into a "classic" - mind that opening battle scene blew me away when I first saw it at the cinema.
It's been awhile since I've watched it, but I don't think the movie has much depth. FIght scenes and stuff are awesome and the actors do their best . But the characters aren't very substantial and the plot is pretty simple.

Braveheart doesn't seem to be that highly regarded nowadays either. Similar problem, I think. Though Braveheart is a bit better imo, that said certain aspects really cause one to :? - the insights into the prince's private life and "interactions" with the French princess. Though Mel Gibson being absolutely apeshit crazy likely has to do with this one not getting mentioned as much anymore. That and as mentioned it has some questionable content.

Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:11 am

Interestingly I think Gladiator has indeed stuck with plenty of people, but it hasn't attached itself to that larger pop-culture niche that nerd culture/film buffs use to keep certain movies/movie properties alive. I'd say movies like that and Braveheart are still fondly remembered but not necessarily by this (ie the movie poster collectors) group as a whole.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Particle
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:17 am

jkw3000 wrote:Interestingly I think Gladiator has indeed stuck with plenty of people, but it hasn't attached itself to that larger pop-culture niche that nerd culture/film buffs use to keep certain movies/movie properties alive. I'd say movies like that and Braveheart are still fondly remembered but not necessarily by this (ie the movie poster collectors) group as a whole.
I agree. This forum and this thread specifically is not where you will find the die hard fans, this thread is more of a Marvel/StarWars crowd with a little bit of Classic Film love. But they're out there, people love this movie.

Like I said, it's th next Jaws and also probably the next Croatoan combined with also Nesting and Stout THing. K thx bye
Jamilton
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 am

I drymountin loved Braveheart when it first came out. I still do honestly but haven't watched it in a good while. I think it's significantly better than Gladiator. Not to mention it won 5 Academy awards that year including Best Picture. Kind of surprised it hasn't been held up in high regard since then, but as someone said earlier.....Mel Gibson.
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:22 am

Particle wrote:

Let's talk about Mel Gibson for a moment.....
He's a terrible person, but has time and time again proved he's capable of making great art. It's come up in here before, but I fully believe in separation of art and artist, unless the artist's reprehensible traits are actually present in the work of art at hand (see: Passion of the Christ).
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 am

Jamilton wrote:I drymountin loved Braveheart when it first came out. I still do honestly but haven't watched it in a good while. I think it's significantly better than Gladiator. Not to mention it won 5 Academy awards that year including Best Picture. Kind of surprised it hasn't been held up in high regard since then, but as someone said earlier.....Mel Gibson.

FYI..Gladiator won 5 Academy awards too
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 am

Particle wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Interestingly I think Gladiator has indeed stuck with plenty of people, but it hasn't attached itself to that larger pop-culture niche that nerd culture/film buffs use to keep certain movies/movie properties alive. I'd say movies like that and Braveheart are still fondly remembered but not necessarily by this (ie the movie poster collectors) group as a whole.
I agree. This forum and this thread specifically is not where you will find the die hard fans, this thread is more of a Marvel/StarWars crowd with a little bit of Classic Film love. But they're out there, people love this movie.

Like I said, it's th next Jaws and also probably the next Croatoan combined with also Nesting and Stout THing. K thx bye
ISO Jaws/Croatoan/Nesting/Thing mashup.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
c0bbz
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:26 am

jlabbate wrote:

This means nothing.
Jamilton
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:28 am

jlabbate wrote:
Jamilton wrote:I drymountin loved Braveheart when it first came out. I still do honestly but haven't watched it in a good while. I think it's significantly better than Gladiator. Not to mention it won 5 Academy awards that year including Best Picture. Kind of surprised it hasn't been held up in high regard since then, but as someone said earlier.....Mel Gibson.

Ha! Didn't realize this. I guess my bias is showing. I dig Gladiator too but Braveheart just stuck with my young impressionable mind.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:28 am

c0bbz wrote:
jlabbate wrote:

This means nothing.
:P
matowest
Art Expert

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:30 am

c0bbz wrote:
jlabbate wrote:

This means nothing.
Everyone knows that when the Academy gave Crowe the Best Actor award for Gladiator they were really awarding his performance in The Insider the year before.
desch
Art Expert

c0bbz wrote:
jlabbate wrote:

This means nothing.
Yeah, didn't The English Patient beat out Fargo that one year? 'Nuff said c0bbz, you nailed it.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
sincere86a
Art Expert

c0bbz wrote:
jlabbate wrote:

This means nothing.
Crash won Best Picture once; and that flick is drymounting awful. :hanging:
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:35 am

+1

My dad will watch Gladiator every single time it's on TV (which is pretty much weekly). He loves it and he's not a movie guy at all. It's more of classic for the general public than the nerd crowd.