FAMP Art - Awesome Movie Poster Art Releases

General art-related discussion.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm

Looks very nice, but I thought the 'official' translation of the title was now "Bicycle Thieves?" FAMP, can you give any insight into this?

Looks great regardless.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:31 pm

allyouzombies wrote:Looks very nice, but I thought the 'official' translation of the title was now "Bicycle Thieves?" FAMP, can you give any insight into this?

Looks great regardless.
Sure can, and thanks.

Yes, the actual translation is Bicycle Thieves but back in 1949 the film was released here in the US as The Bicycle Thief. Not going to go into the reasons why but that's how it was released here. We thought about which title we wanted to go with and since the studio we are working with releases and promotes the film as The Bicycle Thief we felt it was best to stick with what they were running with. The film has since been re-released in various titles like The Bicycle Thief, The Bicycle Thieves, and Bicycle Thieves.

Knowing this we wanted to do a variant of the print in Italian to make sure that we at least had the official title of the movie. The Italian title is in the correct plural form.

Technically the print is both right and wrong depending on what era you look at it from. You'll have US-based release purists saying the title is wrong if we made it plural and then re-release folks that get pissy if we went with the singular title. While the scope of the film is all about the plural versions the studio felt set on the original domestic release title and in the end so did we.

Hope that helps
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Totally makes sense; appreciate the insight.

And thanks for tackling some classic Italian cinema. You guys should totally do a Fellini film in the future.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

allyouzombies wrote:Totally makes sense; appreciate the insight.

And thanks for tackling some classic Italian cinema. You guys should totally do a Fellini film in the future.
We need to see how this goes. We have one of his films in our sights but the art and biz aspects need to line up to make it worth moving forward with. We really want to
buddhawake
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm

FAMPart wrote:

We need to see how this goes. We have one of his films in our sights but the art and biz aspects need to line up to make it worth moving forward with. We really want to
Anything Fellini will make me cry if you do. So this means you will be working with Criterion in the future? They have the film so I figured that is who you mean by the studio.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:06 pm

buddhawake wrote:
FAMPart wrote:

Anything Fellini will make me cry if you do. So this means you will be working with Criterion in the future? They have the film so I figured that is who you mean by the studio.
Not necessarily, but would love to. Rights on all these titles are scattered so we know who we'll be working with if we can find the interest. May take a different strategy for this one.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:05 am

Nice work, FAMP. Looking good :pint:

(Also, bring on the poster for Kurosawa's Ran!)
buddhawake
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 pm

They are there now. Got both the Reg and Variant.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Want to thank those who picked up a Bicycle Thief print (or set). I've got them in hand, will post some pics (potentially tonight), but we're looking to have most shipped out on Saturday.

If you like them in person feel free to spread the love.
buddhawake
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:25 pm

FAMPart wrote:Want to thank those who picked up a Bicycle Thief print (or set). I've got them in hand, will post some pics (potentially tonight), but we're looking to have most shipped out on Saturday.

If you like them in person feel free to spread the love.
sweet. I ordered my set yesterday at lunch time. Can't wait.
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 pm

New update from FAMP!
As the year comes to an end we want to bring you up to speed with what’s been going on behind the scenes here at FAMP Art.
Firstly, as you may have noticed we haven’t announced a print for December. That’s because we’ve decided after careful consideration not to release one this month. The films aren’t right for the holiday season and, if all goes according to plan, we’ll be dropping a nice big title [by our standards] for February.
Secondly, as we continue to learn and evaluate what we’re doing we’ve also decide to evolve the business slightly. We are no longer going to stick to the one print a month rule that we established. We’d rather not create mediocre prints due to keeping to a time table and would rather release quality prints when the time is right. We’re working on a lot of things right now, including a fun little side project, that we know people will be excited for. I’m sure in due time we’ll go back to releasing prints once a month but boy, change is-a-coming and it is change we like.
Lastly, and most importantly, we want to wish everyone happy holidays and hope you all have a fantastic new year. We appreciate your continued support and want to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.
And a (very) little teaser.

Reminded me of Snowpiercer at first glance. Which would be amazing!
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:41 pm

ColeParks wrote:New update from FAMP!
As the year comes to an end we want to bring you up to speed with what’s been going on behind the scenes here at FAMP Art.
Firstly, as you may have noticed we haven’t announced a print for December. That’s because we’ve decided after careful consideration not to release one this month. The films aren’t right for the holiday season and, if all goes according to plan, we’ll be dropping a nice big title [by our standards] for February.
Secondly, as we continue to learn and evaluate what we’re doing we’ve also decide to evolve the business slightly. We are no longer going to stick to the one print a month rule that we established. We’d rather not create mediocre prints due to keeping to a time table and would rather release quality prints when the time is right. We’re working on a lot of things right now, including a fun little side project, that we know people will be excited for. I’m sure in due time we’ll go back to releasing prints once a month but boy, change is-a-coming and it is change we like.
Lastly, and most importantly, we want to wish everyone happy holidays and hope you all have a fantastic new year. We appreciate your continued support and want to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts.
And a (very) little teaser.

Reminded me of Snowpiercer at first glance. Which would be amazing!

Definitely Snowpiercer
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:43 pm

captainhavoc wrote:
Definitely Snowpiercer
That makes me so excited! Thanks for that comparison pic :D
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45 am

:shock: (I love Snowpiercer)
ColeParks
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm

I came back to this thread to see the teaser image again just to get a bit more excited, and I am going to go out on a limb and guess it's by Matt Ferguson. He's been getting really popular as of late and this definitely looks like his style. Which would be awesome!

Can't wait for the reveal FAMP!