Black Dragon Press

General art-related discussion.
fallchild
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

mfaith wrote:Ran is an amazing movie. Even if you don't go for the poster, you should totally check out the film.
Definitely will check it out! Hopefully this weekend!
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am

ethnosax wrote:Ran isn't that popular of a title??

//facepalm//
I'm not saying it uknown or not respected but it's fanbase is smaller than E.T, Jaws, Jurrassic Park, Alien or Blade Runner.
With the time edition variant, the fans of Mr Ruas have option to get the art wihout too much hassle and for much better price, with the chance of winning the sketch.
So that would leave only the fans of the movie trying to get the variants.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

Which version are yall going for? I'm gonna grab a TARO (yellow), but I also kinda want a JIRO (red). TARO is definitely my favorite because of a few things; the bigger size, the yellow, its landscape orientation. The non standard size is more of a hassle to frame, but will be totally worth it in the end. (Can't wait to see Peacedog give it the proper treatment.) I dig the red too. It's nice that it's super easy to get on the wall and the dude is huge on the print. Love the Akira Kurosawa credit. I have a Ruas True Detective (Yellow King) I'd swap for a JIRO (or I'll trade/sell something else from the collection).
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

RottenAtom wrote:Which version are yall going for? I'm gonna grab a TARO (yellow), but I also kinda want a JIRO (red). TARO is definitely my favorite because of a few things; the bigger size, the yellow, its landscape orientation. The non standard size is more of a hassle to frame, but will be totally worth it in the end. (Can't wait to see Peacedog give it the proper treatment.) I dig the red too. It's nice that it's super easy to get on the wall and the Taro is huge on the print. Love the Akira Kurosawa credit. I have a Ruas True Detective (Yellow King) I'd swap for a JIRO (or I'll trade/sell something else from the collection).
Presale WT ftw! :pint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Bradsdaman
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:03 am

I just grabbed the yellow edition, and think it is going to look awesome in person. Free international shipping was an unexpected and awesome touch.
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 am

As predicted a very easy drop
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:05 am

Looks like yellow is sold out.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:06 am

rubberneck wrote:Presale WT ftw! :pint:
Indeed! Too much paper (and none of its green) :lol:

In response to the now-deleted post about the guy being the same size on them all - you may be right. In my mind he'd be bigger on the 24x36s but I'm not really sure.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 am

Taro looks so badass (they all do, but love Taro).
Bradsdaman
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 am

It actually sold out a little faster than I thought it was going to. Raus is not one of the artists you normally expect to sell out in five minutes.

I' don't think I've ever purchase print from Black Dragon Press before, but I just though it was an awesome image.
fallchild
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am

Snagged the timed and the Vania Red Death print finally!
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 am

Ended up grabbing a Jiro (red). As much as I love the yellow version, it probably wouldn't make the wall due to the odd sizing. Plus, I think the title placement works just a bit better on the red.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 am

RottenAtom wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Presale WT ftw! :pint:
Indeed! Too much paper (and none of its green) :lol:

In response to the now-deleted post about the guy being the same size on them all - you may be right. In my mind he'd be bigger on the 24x36s but I'm not really sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am

What's everybody's favorite Akira Kurosawa film? Why?

I'm a huuuge RAN fan. In 2010, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston played several AK films leading up to a newly-restored 25th anniversary screening of RAN. I was drymounting blown away. It was one of those transcending theatrical experiences. I saw it in Austin for the 30th anniversary and was once again amazed.

One time I came out of the dentist office all doped up and went to Border's Books to look for some DVDs while I healed up from wisdom-tooth extraction. I stumbled on the out of print RAN Criterion DVD. It's probably the favorite DVD I own (that or Brazil Criterion set). The RAN DVD is still the best way to view the film at home - (the Studio Canal version doesn't look as good).

I often regret not picking up that AK50 Criterion set that had like all of his films in it.
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 am

allyouzombies wrote:Ended up grabbing a Jiro (red). As much as I love the yellow version, it probably wouldn't make the wall due to the odd sizing. Plus, I think the title placement works just a bit better on the red.
This is pretty much the conclusion I came to. You get more image with Taro but I just couldn't pass up that red.
Last edited by IronRinn on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.