fix your sigs!
Sorry
Much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am

Congrats on the well-deserved sell out. Great work by Joao on these.
As far as version preference, my initial gut reaction was in favor of Taro. The landscape seemed to give it more presence; made it feel more grandiose. But then I started to feel that maybe with the tighter focus on the rider (allowing that to be larger), coupled with the bold reds of the flags, maybe it's Jiro? So needless to say I was on the fence. What tilted it in favor of Jiro was seeing how Joao's original composition and concepts were all of the portrait orientation. So I guess I like that it is a bit more true to his original vision. But really, either way you shake it, they're both quite remarkable.
So it goes...
Aedward5
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 am

Anyone having second thoughts on their Jiro purchase? Hit me up, I'll gladly take it off your hands at cost. I was stuck in a meeting with my upper boss during the drop. :(
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am

mfaith wrote:Congrats on the well-deserved sell out. Great work by Joao on these.
As far as version preference, my initial gut reaction was in favor of Taro. The landscape seemed to give it more presence; made it feel more grandiose. But then I started to feel that maybe with the tighter focus on the rider (allowing that to be larger), coupled with the bold reds of the flags, maybe it's Jiro? So needless to say I was on the fence. What tilted it in favor of Jiro was seeing how Joao's original composition and concepts were all of the portrait orientation. So I guess I like that it is a bit more true to his original vision. But really, either way you shake it, they're both quite remarkable.
But will this all fit in your ebay listing?

rubberneck
Art God

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 am

Aedward5 wrote:Anyone having second thoughts on their Jiro purchase? Hit me up, I'll gladly take it off your hands at cost. I was stuck in a meeting with my upper boss during the drop. :(
See hype above, you can have mine for double cost... :pint:

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 am

Enjoyed reading about your favorite AK films. So many great ones to choose from. After seeing a theatrical production of The 39 Steps a couple nights ago, I was planning on making it a Hitchcock weekend, but this drop/thread make me want to watch a bunch of AK films. Too many movies, not enough time!
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:11 am

mfaith wrote:Congrats on the well-deserved sell out. Great work by Joao on these.
Aah! Shoulda got a Jiro too :lol:

ISO
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

RottenAtom wrote:Enjoyed reading about your favorite AK films. So many great ones to choose from. After seeing a theatrical production of The 39 Steps a couple nights ago, I was planning on making it a Hitchcock weekend, but this drop/thread make me want to watch a bunch of AK films. Too many movies, not enough time!
We just watched The 39 Steps a couple nights ago! Though it's often rather dismissively praised as a good example of "early Hitchcock," in fact I think it's just a stellar movie, no qualifications needed. Pretty good Criterion edition--glad they're getting back into Hitchcock lately, and I'm really looking forward to Rebecca later this year.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:15 am

ethnosax wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Enjoyed reading about your favorite AK films. So many great ones to choose from. After seeing a theatrical production of The 39 Steps a couple nights ago, I was planning on making it a Hitchcock weekend, but this drop/thread make me want to watch a bunch of AK films. Too many movies, not enough time!
We just watched The 39 Steps a couple nights ago! Though it's often rather dismissively praised as a good example of "early Hitchcock," in fact I think it's just a stellar movie, no qualifications needed. Pretty good Criterion edition--glad they're getting back into Hitchcock lately, and I'm really looking forward to Rebecca later this year.
It was a 4 person play with over 150 characters. They took a very comic approach - it was more like Mel Brooks doing Hitchcock than Hitchcock - but it was very funny and all 4 actors were excellent. There were lots of references to and music from other Hitchcock films. Gonna write it up this weekend.

Yes, bring on Rebecca and any Hitchcock/Criterion pairing.
Weaksauce
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am

Any love for Thomas Danthony's piece if you don't look at the price?
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 am

Weaksauce wrote:Any love for Thomas Danthony's piece if you don't look at the price?
I was going to ask, but I'm too much of a coward: I genuinely have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting out of that piece, and I have no knowledge of Danthony. Would someone help me understand what this is, and why it's brilliant? (I'm fine with minimalism, fine with abstract art; I just don't know what to see here...)
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 am

ethnosax wrote:
This scene from 39 Steps is one of the all time greats: https://youtu.be/aalwXQINtio?t=73
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 am

Jiro was my favorite. Bummed that I wasn't in a good position to pick it up, but happy to see both limited runs sell out for BDP.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Weaksauce
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:55 am

ethnosax wrote:
Weaksauce wrote:Any love for Thomas Danthony's piece if you don't look at the price?
I was going to ask, but I'm too much of a coward: I genuinely have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting out of that piece, and I have no knowledge of Danthony. Would someone help me understand what this is, and why it's brilliant? (I'm fine with minimalism, fine with abstract art; I just don't know what to see here...)
Dunno, but it reminds me of his gun piece:

Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

a katana coming from behind a flag. Boom.