Nautilus Art Prints Discussion Thread

General art-related discussion.
strongstuff
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am

allyouzombies wrote:The Gold Rush is my favorite, but they're all very cool. Although the Whalen looks a little phoned in tbh.
yep. totally phoned in.
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 am

strongstuff wrote:
allyouzombies wrote:The Gold Rush is my favorite, but they're all very cool. Although the Whalen looks a little phoned in tbh.
yep. totally phoned in.
Ha! It's actually one of my favorites that you've done, Tom (and I've been a fan of yours since starting the hobby--your SW set was one of my first purchases). Really great work on this! That one and the Gold Rush are just fantastic. Great Dictator is wonderful, but would feel a little weird to hang. And I'm kind of surprised that there's The Circus but not Modern Times or City Lights. Maybe more on the way?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:35 am

Cool series! Probably a licensing thing, but I would've also liked to see Modern Times and City Lights represented (over The Circus and The Great Dictator). The Burton poster if probably my favorite of the lot though. I hope these are popular and there are more releases for silent comedies (particularly the work of Buster Keaton, the undisputed master, imo).
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:36 am

RottenAtom wrote:(particularly the work of Buster Keaton, the undisputed master, imo).
:notworthy:
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:(particularly the work of Buster Keaton, the undisputed master, imo).
Agreed. More Chaplin, and then Nautilus or Black Dragon should work on the Keaton license--especially The General and Sherlock Jr.
DuoSonic
Art Expert

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 am

RottenAtom wrote:Cool series! Probably a licensing thing, but I would've also liked to see Modern Times and City Lights represented (over The Circus and The Great Dictator).
Same here!
ethnosax wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Agreed. More Chaplin, and then Nautilus or Black Dragon should work on the Keaton license--especially The General and Sherlock Jr.
Agreed! I'm a big Chaplin and Keaton fan.

This is a nice series. Great work, all!
IronRinn
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

Not a bad one in the bunch. Great work.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 am

strongstuff wrote:
yep. totally phoned in.
Huh. I thought the Whalen was one of the stronger pieces from him in a while and maybe my favorite of the bunch.

:cheers:

Edit: Well, that's embarrassing on my part. :lol:
I'm not someone else.
CS1987
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 am

I really want to see a Buster Keaton series! I've been searching, but I can't find anything of his on Expresso.
Anyone else have any luck?

I plan on trying to get one of the Chaplin prints, but I'm just not as familiar with his work. Which one of these prints do y'all see being the most popular? Gold Rush?

By the way, I could also watch Georges Melies films all day long.
I already purchased 'A Trip to the Moon'-Phantom City Creative. (My favorite poster).
patquelly
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 am

These look great. I'll probably have to go for a set.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:06 pm

CS1987 wrote:I really want to see a Buster Keaton series! I've been searching, but I can't find anything of his on Expresso.
Anyone else have any luck?
Haven't seen anything for his early stuff. Mondo released a cool poster for the 1965 short film, 'Film' that he starred in (written by Samuel Beckett).

CS1987 wrote:By the way, I could also watch Georges Melies films all day long.
I already purchased 'A Trip to the Moon'-Phantom City Creative. (My favorite poster).
Great poster. Gifted one to my mom and she has it framed up in the TV room :pint:
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Wow, I never saw that Keaton poster. Thanks for sharing it!

As for which Chaplin will be the most popular--as you can read here, it looks like people are happy with all of them. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner. I may just get a set and then decide later which ones to hang and which (if any) to trade.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 pm

ethnosax wrote:Wow, I never saw that Keaton poster. Thanks for sharing it!
ethnosax wrote:As for which Chaplin will be the most popular--as you can read here, it looks like people are happy with all of them. There doesn't seem to be a clear winner. I may just get a set and then decide later which ones to hang and which (if any) to trade.
Agreed. Taster's choice.
PatHobby
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I hope these are popular and there are more releases for silent comedies (particularly the work of Buster Keaton, the undisputed master, imo).

Yes, please. I've been wanting a poster for The General for a loooooong time.

Also, man, are the title treatments on these GREAT.
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:57 pm

love that burton.

So are these all licensed through the Chaplin estate?