The allure of 'limited edition'

General art-related discussion.
jkw3000
EB Team

Mon May 19, 2014 5:29 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
allbloody wrote:
binky79 wrote:With the availability of so much non-limited edition art, why would anybody care? Sounds like somebody is sour about something they cant have.

agree! 100%
Tried making it clear that im interested in perspectives from artists and galleries that I thought some people here may have insight on. I was wrong. I suppose I'll seek them out myself.

You guys have really been something else.
What makes you think those perspectives aren't already in earlier pages? We've already had an artist or two chime in, and I can tell you the gallery reason is already back there somewhere. Just because it's not the answer you want doesn't mean it's not a valid reason.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Migs
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 19, 2014 5:39 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
allbloody wrote:
binky79 wrote:With the availability of so much non-limited edition art, why would anybody care? Sounds like somebody is sour about something they cant have.

agree! 100%
Tried making it clear that im interested in perspectives from artists and galleries that I thought some people here may have insight on. I was wrong. I suppose I'll seek them out myself.

You guys have really been something else.
I remember an artist (can't remember who at the moment) say most galleries push the cost of printing onto the artist. Probably not the biggest reason but something that would certainly affect the run sizes.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon May 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Mark Twain wrote:He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it – namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
Aside from the scarcity value attributable to these pieces, there is a logistical reason as well: nobody like to sit on inventory. So you try and gauge interest. Generally artists/galleries will try and produce a little less than the expected interest due to the idea above. If they grossly misjudge that interest, printing far too few pieces to satisfy demand, well that demand will simply feed upon itself creating more desire for the piece in question.

But please report back with whatever mystery reasons also exist.
That's what she said
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon May 19, 2014 5:48 pm

The real reason is because nobody wants to put the time, effort, or money into printing every single print indefinitely, forever.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
DonPiano wrote:I don't think you mean pushed either. Coerced is probably the better word to use.
Yea perhaps. Are there discussion boards for mondo bots here? I figure collectors here use them because they're busy during some of the drops. Lots of money to be made making one too. There's lots of freelancer request postings online it seems.
With the rate that Mondo's doing "popular" prints though, you may be better off investing in a hobo to stand in line at the gallery shows for ya. :P
Yea, I may venture down to Austin at the end of this month to go to the Ken Taylor show.
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Can I nominate this guy for EB member of the year? I have never seen one dude unite all EBers like this.

Its Tim Doyle + rerocustom1989 v. THE WORLD
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
seeker1115
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a Doyle piece on my wall. Gonna have to change that fudge out now after reading these last 18 drymounting pages of everybody repeating themselves and one dude not listening.
Woodyland is a kitten
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:06 pm

GiantBoyDective wrote:Image
Please, I don't need puppets to make my point. Say what you will about me, but I've never been afraid to put myself out there in the firing line. To start hiding behind an alias now would be pointless and cowardly.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:08 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
Please, I don't need puppets to make my point. Say what you will about me, but I've never been afraid to put myself out there in the firing line. To start hiding behind an alias now would be pointless and cowardly.
FTFY
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:12 pm

ajmmck wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
FTFY
what did you fix? I see 0 changes from the original quote.
ajmmck
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 pm

The username... Never mind.... Ill stay out of it
alittle
Art Freak

Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm

I looked at that fudge like 10 times, couldn't figure it out.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:18 pm

^ glad it's not just me! I thought I was going nuts for a bit.

When I was a noob, I thought 'FTFY' stood for ' F*ck that, f*ck you' ......maybe he meant that. I used it a few times in error that way myself. :oops: :lol:
Last edited by OtomoChaser on Mon May 19, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

oh i see now :P