The allure of 'limited edition'

General art-related discussion.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 4:29 pm

finneganm wrote:
padelimike wrote: As far as this strategy being bad for serious collectors, well if you're a serious art collector you will know that Tim Doyle prints have been reprinted as second and other editions ever since he started selling his own prints.
If you're a serious art collector, you don't give a fudge about limited edition pop culture prints.
I have to agree. And that's how I make my living. I just make the art that I want, and no one should ever take a drawing of Bill Murray this seriously. Lord knows Bill Murray wouldn't.
partpat
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm

alexfugazi wrote:no one should ever take a drawing of Bill Murray this seriously. Lord knows Bill Murray wouldn't.

This is actually a true statement
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 4:34 pm

alexfugazi wrote:
finneganm wrote:
padelimike wrote: As far as this strategy being bad for serious collectors, well if you're a serious art collector you will know that Tim Doyle prints have been reprinted as second and other editions ever since he started selling his own prints.
If you're a serious art collector, you don't give a fudge about limited edition pop culture prints.
I have to agree. And that's how I make my living. I just make the art that I want, and no one should ever take a drawing of Bill Murray this seriously. Lord knows Bill Murray wouldn't.
Completely agreed.

And to clarify, my follow up to that:
finneganm wrote:
padelimike wrote:
finneganm wrote: If you're a serious art collector, you don't give a fudge about limited edition pop culture prints.
yeah, I meant "serious pop culture print collector"

Should have typed that.
Then my point becomes "correct"
Then you've probably got a few Doyle prints already, you probably just will not be adding all that many more.
Is not a dig on you, but rather a dig on what I perceive to be the actions of a "Serious pop culture print collector".
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

partpat wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:no one should ever take a drawing of Bill Murray this seriously. Lord knows Bill Murray wouldn't.

I would share that he told me this once, but nobody would believe it.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
alexfugazi
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 4:39 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
partpat wrote:

I would share that he told me this once, but nobody would believe it.
I met him once. He was very tall and kind.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm

finneganm wrote: Is not a dig on you, but rather a dig on what I perceive to be the actions of a "Serious pop culture print collector".
That's OK, and it SHOULD be a dig on me.
I did admit that a lot of my "collecting" was from an OCD phase I went through.
I'd say I'm in recovery, but that really only refers to aftermarket-hunting.

As far as a novice being uninformed, I most certainly was one when I bought my first Doyles, but I knew from the first one that he made reprints. It never caused a moment's thought about any effect it might have on what I'd purchased, as long as I knew it was impossible for anyone to even really try to pass off a second edition as a First.

Jeez - my favorite one of his Unreal Estate prints is the one I bought the OG of, knowing I would never be able to resell it for even the original price I paid for the prints of it.

It's a tough fight for wall-space against the framed AJs in my home, and OG "Correct as Usual" is in a prominent spot.
Only prints I regret buying ever are a whole sh*t-ton of "official" LE rock prints.
Actually thought I wanted to display them until I put a few up, stepped back and looked.
They still make great souvenirs, but I only own them, and do not enjoy them for any other reason.
I know they are healthiest when they remain undisturbed in my huge flat file drawers.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Not a dig on you either.

People who buy what they like are just normal people.

Serious pop culture print collectors get mad when they can't flip Bill Murray prints, or get mad when their artificial investments diminish in artificial value.
That's what she said
partpat
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 5:09 pm

finneganm wrote:Not a dig on you either.

People who buy what they like are just normal people.

Serious pop culture print collectors get mad when they can't flip Bill Murray prints, or get mad when their artificial investments diminish in artificial value.

Stop picking on me you evil troll bastard :lol:
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 5:11 pm

I just wish Tim would get with the program and make me a damn Akira print.
I'll snap up a copy in a heartbeat. At least one from each edition. If he keeps printing them, I'll keep buying them. :D #truefancollector
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
charter
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 5:13 pm

padelimike wrote:
soupysound wrote:cliff notes to the 39 pages, please. :wink:
people who don't buy a particular artist's prints explain why
No:

People that are bashing Tim Doyle don't own any Tim Doyle and the people that are defending Tim Doyle don't own any Tim Doyle either.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 5:13 pm

charter wrote:
padelimike wrote:
No:

People that are bashing Tim Doyle don't own any Tim Doyle and the people that are defending Tim Doyle don't own any Tim Doyle either.
So who buys Doyles work? :shock:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
charter
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Facebook people.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed May 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Like the Winklevoss twins?
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed May 21, 2014 5:17 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
charter wrote:
padelimike wrote:
No:

So who buys Doyles work? :shock:
Mystery tube buyers. Duh.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Wed May 21, 2014 5:17 pm

charter wrote:
padelimike wrote:
No:

I've owned some Tim. Had the oversized White Dragon and the other oversized Blade Runner. White Dragon kicked ass, just didn't want to pay the cost of custom framing it.