The allure of 'limited edition'

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
bkboy77
Art Expert
Posts: 8581
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King

Mon May 19, 2014 12:25 pm

Image
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
wneff
Art Expert
Posts: 4915
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Honorable intentions do not mitigate ill-considered actions.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 pm

rubberneck wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Troll thread should be deleted...
I figured a thread that provides a platform for the discussion of limited edition art would be at home in a discussion forum for limited edition art collectors. Especially when I'm trying to get information from this group of collectors.

Given the vitriol from the members of this community and trolling responses like memes and gifs, the thread should probably be closed. If only because it illustrates how bad some of the members of the community are.
Information is one thing. Requests for images for bootleg releases is another.

But now I'm just feeding the trolls. Best to just go back to the bear...

Image
Hah sorry, Yea that was going too far, but I'm still legitimately interested in the whole 'sell to people who want rare stuff, even if they don't like it for what it is' distribution model.
User avatar
bkboy77
Art Expert
Posts: 8581
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King

Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

do you collect anything else OP?
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 1:08 pm

bkboy77 wrote:do you collect anything else OP?
I guess I don't. This is the first collecting world that I've gotten into, and even then it's because I'm forced to. What I'm interested in just happens to be limited. I'm not going to be buying anything I won't hang on a wall for years. The whole "Have it because someone else can't" position is opposite of the way I think. Hence why I'm curious as to why galleries and artists cater to it.

The mentality that causes them to say" We Love great art, so we commission it so that 5% of the people who like it can have it." Honestly it would make more sense to me if they sold one copy, and stopped after that, but to go an arbitrary number farther just seems counter to their actual mission-statement.
Last edited by rerocustom1989 on Mon May 19, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
alittle
Art Freak
Posts: 15287
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 am

Mon May 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8171
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Mon May 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Perfect gif for that reply.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18066
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 1:11 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:do you collect anything else OP?
I guess I don't. This is the first collecting world that I've gotten into, and even then it's because I'm forced to. What I'm interested in just happens to be limited. I'm not going to be buying anything I won't hang on a wall for years. The whole "Have it because someone else can't" position is opposite of the way I think. Hence why I'm curious as to why galleries and artists cater to it.

The mentality that causes them to say" We Love great art, so we commission it so that 5% of the people who like it can have it." Honestly it would make more sense to me if they sold one copy, and stopped after that, but to go an arbitrary number farther just seems counter to their actual mission-statement.
Forced?
alittle wrote:Image
Hahahahhahahaha
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
jrsheppa
Art Expert
Posts: 5412
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: The South

Mon May 19, 2014 1:15 pm

alittle wrote:Image
Also

Image
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6684
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Mon May 19, 2014 1:24 pm

alexfugazi wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:
alexfugazi wrote:And it has worked, and will work for a time. But it won't work forever. See also -Beanie Babies.
I respect you Tim but I HATE whenever somebody uses this analogy. It assumes that the value of all art by all artists is equal, which is pretty much not true - be it in the secondary market value or by sheer popularity.

The value of art itself is an illusion. It provides no intrinsic value to our basic survival (unless you're burning the paper to provide heat or something). People buy these things because they're aesthetically pleasing or hit them on a personal, emotional level, and that kind of value is purely in the eye of the beholder. Not everybody values every artist the same, and that won't change no matter how much art by other people suddenly floods the market.
I understand where you're coming from, but that Beanie Babies analogy is part of a larger discussion about the collector base, rather than the artists. Although the artists do certainly feed this mentality.
What I'm getting at is this- Beanie Babies are sock puppets stuffed with beads. They're for children to play with and enjoy. Some people got it in their head that these things should be collectible, and so a secondary market started that greatly inflated the price of some of the older toys that were no longer made. Which then drove up the demand for the new ones. Which meant that the manufacturer made more, and then a bunch of other manufacturers saw the collector fever that was happening, and started making product to cater directly to that market. People started making very unwise financial decisions based on the idea that this would never end. (I used to work at a Baseball Card store in the Dallas area where I sold a 'Humphrey the Camel' to some dude for 2K back around 1995 or so). But what happened is that all the VERY. INTENSE. COLLECTORS. soon realized that they were just trading cheap toys back and forth faster and faster, and that they were in fact the only ones still doing this, (casual buyers only wanted the new and easily available ones) and then the whole market collapsed. The marginal start ups who were trying to ride the tide, and cash in on the collector base went out of business. The collectors would say it's the mfr's fault for making and selling TOO MANY beanie babies, and they ruined the market. From that perspective, it would seem that Ty (the Beanie Baby mfr) became a huge failure. Not so- Ty is still a healthy company, and sells tons of stuffed animals to a wide audience still today. They didn't lose sight of their mission- to sell as many toys to a wide an audience as possible. And they're still doing this. They are still standing. The very fact that there was a collector's base interested in investment at all was an aberration of the market.

That's how I feel about the poster industry today. You have a bunch of people in the middle of an investment bubble, buying just about everything they can get their hands on, and promising themselves that they will pay for their retirement, or their child's education with this stuff. And you have manufacturers and galleries catering to JUST this base, lining up to take their money. And this will work. For a time. Until it doesn't.

And then you have what I would consider more reasonable artists who diversify across as wide a band as possible, get the art into new places where regular, everyday customers are- who just want cool art at a reasonable price, and really don't care about re-sale value. That's who I try to cater to with most of my personal releases. I think it's a more sane, long-term goal. But that's me. We'll see.

The end lesson? Just buy what you like, the rest is just noise. If you want investment- speak to a financial advisor.
I hope no one is actually buying these in hopes that their childrens education or their own 401k will be funded. might wanna invest in a 401k and a 529.
rerocustom1989
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 1:25 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:do you collect anything else OP?
I guess I don't. This is the first collecting world that I've gotten into, and even then it's because I'm forced to. What I'm interested in just happens to be limited. I'm not going to be buying anything I won't hang on a wall for years. The whole "Have it because someone else can't" position is opposite of the way I think. Hence why I'm curious as to why galleries and artists cater to it.

The mentality that causes them to say" We Love great art, so we commission it so that 5% of the people who like it can have it." Honestly it would make more sense to me if they sold one copy, and stopped after that, but to go an arbitrary number farther just seems counter to their actual mission-statement.
Forced?
When I say I'm 'forced' into the culture of collectable prints, I mean I just happen to be interested in pieces that are limited. If the works were available in non-limited forms distinct from the limited ones, that would be preferable to be. I don't have time in my day to monitor the mondo twitter alerts and website, so I'm SOL without paying aftermarket prices on em. ( I have on the ones I can afford, but the ones that are sky-high in price make me yearn for non-limited editions so I could enjoy the work )
User avatar
alittle
Art Freak
Posts: 15287
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 am

Mon May 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
63schoeffling
Art Expert
Posts: 8171
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:52 am

Mon May 19, 2014 1:28 pm

So save up and buy the ones you want. I got into this about a year ago so I missed 80% of my collection. And hell, I even miss the drops of ones now since it's so damn hard with work. Either way, you will be paying more than cost for most of your collection.
User avatar
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert
Posts: 6684
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: Houston

Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
bkboy77 wrote:do you collect anything else OP?
I guess I don't. This is the first collecting world that I've gotten into, and even then it's because I'm forced to. What I'm interested in just happens to be limited. I'm not going to be buying anything I won't hang on a wall for years. The whole "Have it because someone else can't" position is opposite of the way I think. Hence why I'm curious as to why galleries and artists cater to it.

The mentality that causes them to say" We Love great art, so we commission it so that 5% of the people who like it can have it." Honestly it would make more sense to me if they sold one copy, and stopped after that, but to go an arbitrary number farther just seems counter to their actual mission-statement.
Forced?
When I say I'm 'forced' into the culture of collectable prints, I mean I just happen to be interested in pieces that are limited. If the works were available in non-limited forms distinct from the limited ones, that would be preferable to be. I don't have time in my day to monitor the mondo twitter alerts and website, so I'm SOL without paying aftermarket prices on em. ( I have on the ones I can afford, but the ones that are sky-high in price make me yearn for non-limited editions so I could enjoy the work )
You can get plenty of posters from amazon or allposters for movies or music that isn't limited and is way cheaper. There are prints of movies I would love to have, but I know I won't because the prices are too high. Oh well, onto the next. No point in obsessing over it and wishing that it wouldn't be limited just so I could have one.
User avatar
fnord
Art Expert
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:19 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 pm

rerocustom1989 wrote: When I say I'm 'forced' into the culture of collectable prints, I mean I just happen to be interested in pieces that are limited. If the works were available in non-limited forms distinct from the limited ones, that would be preferable to be. I don't have time in my day to monitor the mondo twitter alerts and website, so I'm SOL without paying aftermarket prices on em. ( I have on the ones I can afford, but the ones that are sky-high in price make me yearn for non-limited editions so I could enjoy the work )

So when you say forced you in no way actually mean any accepted definition of forced.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
Post Reply