Grey Matter Art Appreciation & Release Thread

General art-related discussion.
SnakeEyes75
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Picked one up, this is one of the best GOTG prints so far!
MooreSaxPlease
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:28 pm

Went with the reg.. . the colors :drool: :clap:
RCP13
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:43 pm

Yeah +1 on the regular. Those colors look great on the jpeg. Can't wait to see em in person.

.....and looks like both are sold out. Conrats Grey Matter!!!!
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Well done by Florey & GMA Team, definitely one of the best for this property.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Both Soul Doubt now

Edit- RCP posted it 15 minutes ago :lol:
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:09 pm

nevadinova wrote:but if this was a Mondo release...people would most certainly be creamin' their shorts.
prevone wrote:Oh ya, would have been a bloodbath if it was Mondo drop.
lol, surprised I'm still seeing stuff like this. It's such an unproven assertion. Folks like Bottleneck and a number of other places have been doing quite well. It's not just a one house show. If something doesn't sell, it doesn't sell on its own merit. You can't point at the publisher and say "well if this other guy released, boom to the moon!". It's just not like that anymore.
So it goes...
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Best work by Florey IMO. A really cool poster. I agree with mfaith here too. Sounds like it sold out pretty quickly, which says a LOT about the art when there's so much Guardians art out there for people to choose from, and more coming once the sequel comes. Great job by Florey, great job by Grey Matter.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:14 pm

mfaith wrote:
nevadinova wrote:but if this was a Mondo release...people would most certainly be creamin' their shorts.
prevone wrote:Oh ya, would have been a bloodbath if it was Mondo drop.
lol, surprised I'm still seeing stuff like this. It's such an unproven assertion. Folks like Bottleneck and a number of other places have been doing quite well. It's not just a one house show. If something doesn't sell, it doesn't sell on its own merit. You can't point at the publisher and say "well if this other guy released, boom to the moon!". It's just not like that anymore.
Eh, I don't completely disagree, but I wouldn't diminish the Mondo effect that much. It's a bit hard to read just because I feel like the hobby, and the enthusiasts within the hobby, has a pretty good awareness of all the other places out there, but it's hard to measure the group of casual fans who may only think about the limited edition poster world based on the biggest name out there.

Anyway, congrats on the sellout to GMA, pretty quick between this and the previous Ferguson Spider-Man.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 pm

I think people also forget about the fact that mondo had to build an audience over a period of many years. Grey Matter is on their way.

Congrats guys. Solid Guardians poster.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:22 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I think people also forget about the fact that mondo had to build an audience over a period of many years. Grey Matter is on their way.

Yup. All those now $1k grails that (supposedly, I wasn't paying attention) sat in the store for hours/days.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 pm

You mean a business can be successful without selling out of their product in seconds?
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:You mean a business can be successful without selling out of their product in seconds?
Only when they include timed editions...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
lordhelmet
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:51 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I think people also forget about the fact that mondo had to build an audience over a period of many years. Grey Matter is on their way.

Thanks so much! It was a very crazy sale today but thank you everyone
For the kind words. Florey worked very hard on this poster and it really shows.
And yeah, the printing by DL was just insanely well done. Had to print this one with them.
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Congrats on the sellout. I might have missed this, but other than the colorways, are there any other differences between the reg and variant? Are there metallics on either?
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:15 pm

bulkhead72 wrote:Congrats on the sellout. I might have missed this, but other than the colorways, are there any other differences between the reg and variant? Are there metallics on either?
On both. See a page back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"