Grey Matter Art Appreciation & Release Thread

General art-related discussion.
jmagee87
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:26 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Hey, LD already has a poster ready for North by Northwest, just needs the license. Nobody's been able to secure it...

It's a fair criticism from the consumer standpoint, just not as simple as everybody makes it out to be from a production standpoint.
Thanks for reminding me of that travesty
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
xangelx
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:28 pm

acidburn wrote:
xangelx wrote:Really don't understand why GMA continues to license the same titles that Mondo has already beaten to death. :deadhorse:
eh dont agree with this.

I think no matter what if you bring something fresh to a property then itll always attract attention. Plus you have to realize the market is pretty big that if something sells out an edition of 300-500, there is room for others to purchase.

Also, licenses cost money. Yea it might sound great to say hey lets purchase a Critters license. But will Critters really make back your money? You still have a business at the end of the day. You have to throw in commercial titles that you always see just so you can do other things. Go through a list of studio films and youll see there arent as many commercial films as you think.
Fair enough, but judging by the fact that several titles they have revisited (Terminator, Texas Chainsaw, Iron Man, First Blood etc) are still sitting in their store months after release tells me that the market may just have been saturated. I'd also bet a crisp $1 bill that this new Robocop will be sitting in their store a year from now.
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:31 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Hey, LD already has a poster ready for North by Northwest, just needs the license. Nobody's been able to secure it...

It's a fair criticism from the consumer standpoint, just not as simple as everybody makes it out to be from a production standpoint.
Thanks for reminding me of that travesty
Been a long day... :lol:
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 pm

I recognize it's complex, I'm not trying to suggest it's as simple as some people make it out to be. And like I said, I don't mean to say "don't do these mega properties", but maybe don't do so many and perhaps take the chance that there actually is a market for some of these untouched films. It's easier to assume there's not, than to go out and try for it. But again, i'm not trying to throw stones or anything. Just making a general observation.
acidburn wrote:And there is absolutely no doubt in my mind if anyone from The Vacuum did a Robocop print you would be excited and you should be.
I'm sorry Joe. I like you, but this is lazy. And it's a something I hear ALL the time (Magee!!), usually snarkily. Seriously, like everytime I make any objection to some industry practice, you can count on some smart guy going "Well if Horkey did it, you'd be all over it." That's assuming that I can't objectively have an opinion on something, and that's not really fair. I'm not a lemming. You underestimate my ability to set aside my fandom for a thing out of principle. I'm a stubborn bastard haha. And who knows, maybe there's a reason why these artist haven't done them. Possibly the same reason I'm pointing out. They may not have anything new to say about it. *shrugs*
Anyway, i've rambled, and i'm hungry. Carry on. :pint:
So it goes...
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 pm

*shrug* What they may have to say about ANY subject depends on giving them an opportunity. I would've thought Alien was plenty covered but hey, Ruas didn't exactly do a shabby job on his turn...
kryptonite
Art Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Love what you guys are trying to do but you really gotta stop pushing the rainbow foil. It hasn't made sense once.

Robocops armour is silver -- if foil is so essential...why not use silver foil?
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:52 pm

Robocop, serious business.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:52 pm

mfaith wrote:I recognize it's complex, I'm not trying to suggest it's as simple as some people make it out to be. And like I said, I don't mean to say "don't do these mega properties", but maybe don't do so many and perhaps take the chance that there actually is a market for some of these untouched films. It's easier to assume there's not, than to go out and try for it. But again, i'm not trying to throw stones or anything. Just making a general observation.
acidburn wrote:And there is absolutely no doubt in my mind if anyone from The Vacuum did a Robocop print you would be excited and you should be.
I'm sorry Joe. I like you, but this is lazy. And it's a something I hear ALL the time (Magee!!), usually snarkily. Seriously, like everytime I make any objection to some industry practice, you can count on some smart guy going "Well if Horkey did it, you'd be all over it." That's assuming that I can't objectively have an opinion on something, and that's not really fair. I'm not a lemming. You underestimate my ability to set aside my fandom for a thing out of principle. I'm a stubborn bastard haha. And who knows, maybe there's a reason why these artist haven't done them. Possibly the same reason I'm pointing out. They may not have anything new to say about it. *shrugs*
Anyway, i've rambled, and i'm hungry. Carry on. :pint:
haha i promise i wont mention that again just using that as an example because that was sort of the point I was making about different perspectives. And I was just trying to show you on a business side why doing the blockbuster property is needed. It also helps fund other stuff to grow
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:01 pm

rubberneck wrote:Robocop, serious business.
Part man, part machine, all business.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:04 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Robocop, serious business.
Part man, part machine, all business.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:24 am

These properties all have been done to death by all of the artists at all the galleries.

And.

Go online and go on deviant art or numerous other sites to see fan interpretations of these properties.

Or Etsy.

Or Ebay.

And then,

Go check out the comic book world and all the conventions with all the artists who have reinterpreted characters an infinite number of times.

These properties are subjects and all of the people who work in this business are putting their spin on it.

To say one company has already covered this and therefore shouldn't be done by any other artist or gallery is a non starter.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 am

acidburn wrote:haha i promise i wont mention that again just using that as an example because that was sort of the point I was making about different perspectives. And I was just trying to show you on a business side why doing the blockbuster property is needed. It also helps fund other stuff to grow
:cheers:
35mmpaul wrote: To say one company has already covered this and therefore shouldn't be done by any other artist or gallery is a non starter.
I tried to bend over backwards to say that i wasn't suggesting "it shouldn't be done", because sure, it's a known quantity. It's an easy win. But maybe do a bit less of it and try paving new ground at the same time? :pint:
So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:55 am

word.

I feel ya.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:19 am

35mmpaul wrote:word.

I feel ya.
I just noticed Pikachu has a santa hat on. :lol: Who's making holiday avatars this year?
So it goes...
luderico
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:58 am

I don't understand it either. Why another Robocop? And in my opinion, its not even a good one. Looks like Robocop and ED 209 are on the same side.
The foil just for the sake of foil.