Hero Complex Gallery News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:11 pm

I felt that if there was anyplace that was putting out a lot of really great artwork that actually deserves it's own thread then it should be the HCG. This should be separate from the individual event threads, here we can talk about what may be in store as well as the great work they do .

The amount of great work that they have been bringing out this past year has been astounding and personally for me I find that some of what they have been doing surpasses even the likes of other well known pop/movie art releases by the likes of Mondo. Not to mention HCG has brought multiple artist as new members to EB to share their stories and artwork with us directly. So that alone earns them praise in my book!

So if HCG, their artists or any patrons would like to post anything about this great gallery feel free to join in here. Obviously there will still be show specific threads so this would be a general conversation/discussion thread about the gallery and/or their artists or rumors about whats on the horizon for them.
Buy and sell pop-culture items!
https://GetKulture.com/
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:24 pm

I was lucky enough to pick up a Kako Blade Runner set and a Framed Callendar Alien print.. can't wait to get my hands on them and see them in person! Ive been after the Kako artwork for a while now.

I was curious about the gallery framed artwork, anyone have any photos of framed artwork that they have purchased from the gallery before? I'm interested in the frame style(s) that they might use, do they have a single style or do they try and match it to the prints that they are framing. Have they ever used matte or ever considered it?

I like the idea of buying framed works, it makes it easier for me to open it up and put it on the wall straight away! :)
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm

I've bought a print for each of their past 2 events so I'm definitely on board with this thread.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:I was lucky enough to pick up a Kako Blade Runner set and a Framed Callendar Alien print.. can't wait to get my hands on them and see them in person! Ive been after the Kako artwork for a while now.

I was curious about the gallery framed artwork, anyone have any photos of framed artwork that they have purchased from the gallery before? I'm interested in the frame style(s) that they might use, do they have a single style or do they try and match it to the prints that they are framing. Have they ever used matte or ever considered it?

I like the idea of buying framed works, it makes it easier for me to open it up and put it on the wall straight away! :)
Good thread, HCG have had some great exhibitions to date.

FWIW, most galleries don't invest a lot in the framing and/or use archival materials on originals or prints. Similarly many artists who provide them framed don't know the ins and outs of archival framing.

I've changed or removed pieces from nearly all pieces I've bought framed from galleries.

I remember the Struzan charcoal OG's from the Mondo UM show were done quite poorly and a number of them ended up being re-framed by their respective owners.

At the end of the day, the frame may not be to the purchasers taste anyway and there is no rule to say it can't be changed or is integral to the art itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
egrimens
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Adam and the gang have been bringing lots of cool stuff to the people. I look forward to this continuing into the future!
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm

To follow up, the Drake Thing OG from HCG was an exception, it is paint/gouache on board, with no glass and it looked great as it was...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:01 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:I like the idea of buying framed works, it makes it easier for me to open it up and put it on the wall straight away! :)
It depends if a piece was framed by the gallery or by the artist. I think you can expect most OGs to be artist framed -- maybe even the frame received some sort of customization work. I bought an artist framed OG from G1988 and the artist repainted the frame herself. Everything was archival except for the glass, which I hope to someday replace with museum.

On prints I think most of the time you can expect it to be gallery framed and nothing more than getting the print and tossing it into a standard frame, so it might not be archival. It's something you should keep in mind as shipping framed items cost more. It would be cheaper to buy it non-framed and shipped, and buy the frame by yourself, considering it's not archival anyways.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks for the framing info! AS long as the frame looks good and the backing is acid free I'm ok with it. I dont care if the overlay is UV resistant, I'd prefer plexi or PETG over glass and I think that would be easier to ship as well as non-glare. So I will just have to wait and see what I get and then decide if I'd rather go unframed in the future and do it just how Id like or continue to buy framed pieces.
apalma27
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:29 pm

fallenangel1 wrote:I felt that if there was anyplace that was putting out a lot of really great artwork that actually deserves it's own thread then it should be the HCG. This should be separate from the individual event threads, here we can talk about what may be in store as well as the great work they do .

The amount of great work that they have been bringing out this past year has been astounding and personally for me I find that some of what they have been doing surpasses even the likes of other well known pop/movie art releases by the likes of Mondo. Not to mention HCG has brought multiple artist as new members to EB to share their stories and artwork with us directly. So that alone earns them praise in my book!

So if HCG, their artists or any patrons would like to post anything about this great gallery feel free to join in here. Obviously there will still be show specific threads so this would be a general conversation/discussion thread about the gallery and/or their artists or rumors about whats on the horizon for them.
I agree as well. The options they give you is amazing. I am a big fan of what they do. Happy to see their own thread.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:47 pm

Cool thread, I still have to make it out to one of these shows.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:05 pm

... Adams the man!!
Last edited by fallenangel1 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks for starting the thread fallenangel1, we hope to keep delivering top artwork and artists for the shows and releases, lots of cool things in store!

Regarding the Lolita, the artist was kind enough to immediately remove her additional listing after we brought it up, and in her defense, this was her very first gallery exhibition and wasn't aware that editions should be restricted to just the limited editions exhibited and sold at the gallery. It was an honest mistake on her part, and has been remedied, and we are excited to collaborate on more amazing artwork with her in the future!
jjdungca
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:17 pm

This thread is way over due! Adam and HCG have been consistently producing great shows and have been the best people to work with! I look forward to all their future shows!
ImageImageImage
fallenangel1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Adam, looking forward to see what Janee has in store for us.

So who has some gossip.rumors about what HGC has in store for us next! :D
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 pm

jjdungca wrote:This thread is way over due! Adam and HCG have been consistently producing great shows and have been the best people to work with! I look forward to all their future shows!
Thanks Josh!