LA must hit galleries? Looking for any advice

General art-related discussion.
bayharborbutcher
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:18 am

Hi,
Looking for any advice on a few spots to hit up on an upcoming trip to la. Would love any local input. I feel when i just google la galleries its too vague, and would be interested in the kinds of things people like to discuss here rather than some marquee gallery that sells 3 million dollar paintings (although that would be fun to look too, but id love tofind a few things i could actually add to my collection)

Thanks
Aparedez89
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:35 am

Well hero complex is having a show this coming Friday about the walking dead. Then their is gallery 1988 on melrose. That gallery has two locations. East and west and I've only been to east. That is across from an awesome comic store! Parking is hella mad and the store is super tiny but I know they have a show coming up I forgot when haha.
evilpresence
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 am

If you go to Gallery Nucleus make sure you stop by Rick's Drive In & Out on west Main St and south 2nd St for some food!
bayharborbutcher
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm

thanks everyone, keep em coming.
phearloathing
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

New image art always has some great shows.

Call beforehand though... They seem to be closed often.
swabie2424
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Thinkspace is terrific... and if you're down there, there's a whole bunch of great galleries within walking distance including LeBasse and Corey Helford.

If you are here next weekend, the next Beyond Eden is being held in Silver Lake/Hollywood at Barnsdall Park. Not to be missed. Lots of cool new contemporary galleries will be exhibiting.

http://www.beyondedenart.com
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Not galleries, but hit up MOCA, LACMA, Getty Villa (it's beautiful; you need to RSVP online), and Getty Museum if you've never been. The downtown art walk can be hit or miss, but it's fun if you go with a group of people.
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:12 pm

bayharborbutcher wrote:Hi,
Looking for any advice on a few spots to hit up on an upcoming trip to la. Would love any local input. I feel when i just google la galleries its too vague, and would be interested in the kinds of things people like to discuss here rather than some marquee gallery that sells 3 million dollar paintings (although that would be fun to look too, but id love tofind a few things i could actually add to my collection)

Thanks
Depending on when you're in-town, you might be able to go to an opening. When will you be in-town?
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
bayharborbutcher
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 pm

thanks will be in town the 16-19th
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:55 pm

bayharborbutcher wrote:thanks will be in town the 16-19th

Perfect timing. You'll be in town for gallery 1988's biggest annual show:

If you intend to go, I'd recommend going at least an hour or two early because showing up at opening would take even longer to complete checkout in overall time than showing up at 5.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

dsanacore
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Don't listen to Cel. He's silly.

Based on the prints you have in your collection (I'm very jealous of your Flowers, Flowers, Flowers) you'll definitely want to check out L'Imagerie gallery. It's the largest collection you'll find on display in LA in this field of art. It's very impressive. They have an enormous amount covering original vintage gig posters to fine art (They have over half a dozen of Mark Ryden's originals to get the ball rolling). Thousands of pieces are on display.

As was mentioned Thinkspace is worth checking out depending on whether whatever is on exhibit floats your fancy. Same can be said for Corey Helford, Copro Nason, LeBasse and Merry Karnowsky. All four of those galleries have exhibited works that I feel match what you collect. Check their websites to see who they're currently exhibiting.
Image Image
bayharborbutcher
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:01 pm

thanks for that d, and for the record, i would check out that gallery 1988 show that celsius recommended as well, but will it be THAT much of a shitshow?, i will have the pregnant wife in tow, and if its going to be two hours in a line, that may not go over too well. is there anyway to avoid such a scenario?
JasonA91
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:56 pm

bayharborbutcher wrote:thanks for that d, and for the record, i would check out that gallery 1988 show that celsius recommended as well, but will it be THAT much of a shitshow?, i will have the pregnant wife in tow, and if its going to be two hours in a line, that may not go over too well. is there anyway to avoid such a scenario?
there's a nice bar right next to the Gallery that people chill with. Just make sure your name is on the purchase list order.
Celsius
Flipper

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:40 am

Not sure if you'll be able to make it but on 10/19 there is an official big bang theory art show at gallery nucleus:

http://www.gallerynucleus.com/gallery/exhibition/404

swabie2424
Art Expert

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:29 pm

dsanacore wrote:...you'll definitely want to check out L'Imagerie gallery.
QFT! It's like going to Wonka's factory. Since I live close, I go there whenever I have an hour to kill and my spirits need a lift.

Ask Debbie for a little tour. She will talk art with you for hours if she's not busy.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage