Jock appreciation thread

General art-related discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6899
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:50 am

I always wanted to start one of these appreciation threads (in the hopes the artist will see it and be so touched by my enthusiasm that they single me out for special AP offers and the like).

Anyway, it doesnt seem as though Jock has one of these and as he is quite an active chap it seemed a shame.

So please let this place be one in which all are welcome to discuss issues such as "batman eating a sandwich" or "why is there that green bit on the Joker print" or "I wonder if the Stout SotD will make my Jock SotD easier or harder to flip?" or any other topics you might desire.

I met a slightly hungover Jock at TB last year and he was kind enough to remarque my Dredd AP and I have that and Batman framed up on my walls (my only 24"x36" frame jobs actually up at the moment).

As a long time 200AD fan I first came across Mark's work in the early 2000's and then was quite surprised to see him here in this world as I wasnt really so concious of this genre until recently.
User avatar
whl10
Art Expert
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 am

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:25 am

great idea for a thread if i do say so myself
surprised he doesnt get more love. stout's soon to be flip (i mean poster) is what brought me to check out jock's work as rubberneck is always saying the sotd is inferior to jock's. he is right of course.
that new joker showcases some of his skills and his batman work is great for what it is, but going to his site and being linked to all his comic work is where its at! hope mondo use him more and on a wider variety of movie genre's.
not sure why this guy isnt an OMGFLIP artist yet. i think he will be. though he obviously wont starve without #greedymondo with all his comic and commercial work
User avatar
Dfa
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:28 am

fitz wrote: So please let this place be one in which all are welcome to discuss issues such as "batman eating a sandwich" or "why is there that green bit on the Joker print" or "I wonder if the Stout SotD will make my Jock SotD easier or harder to flip?" or any other topics you might desire.
So, I'm not too familiar with his work, but why is there the green squiggle on the Joker print/cover?
User avatar
Timbrh2001
Art Expert
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: 'Merica

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 am

Am I in the right thread?

PICTURE REMOVED BY MOD
User avatar
jjdungca
Art Expert
Posts: 2604
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:17 am

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 am

I was beginning to wonder why a thread hasn't been created for Jock!

I own his TDKR Variant and SOTD...soon to own the Joker piece. This guy is amazing artist and very easy going too!
ImageImageImage
bkboy77
Art Expert
Posts: 8571
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Burger King

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 am

I thought this was a thread to start another fan club and ask for donations to commission a drawing from Stout to gift to Jock. :P

Yes, I have his SOTD poster from NYCC last year and its beautiful. I also kind of dig the zero dark thirty variant poster he did but couldn't understand why I would want to keep a poster of that movie.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6899
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:39 am

Dfa wrote:
fitz wrote: So please let this place be one in which all are welcome to discuss issues such as "batman eating a sandwich" or "why is there that green bit on the Joker print" or "I wonder if the Stout SotD will make my Jock SotD easier or harder to flip?" or any other topics you might desire.
So, I'm not too familiar with his work, but why is there the green squiggle on the Joker print/cover?
from the horses mouth!
Jock wrote:and yes, that green line is deliberate. it's alway been my favourite bit. to me it throws the image forward, but i may have strange tastes... DC took it out when they printed the tees. but yeah, i'm paying for a whole new screen for it.
:D
User avatar
MatchsMalone
Art Expert
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Great thread. I am a huge fan of Jock myself. To date, I think his SOTD is his best "print" out there, and blows the Stout out of the water. I also love Dredd and ZDT, but the subject matter for those isn't quite at the top of my list. I agree with the comment earlier about his amazing comic work. I love the work he's done on Batman, but to be honest I don't think his TDKR is one of his strongest efforts. His "Raid" image is also pretty great, and I own the blu-ray version with it on the cover.

Does anyone else have one of these badass statues designed by Jock of the Dick Grayson Batman?
Image
fitz wrote: and I have that and Batman framed up on my walls (my only 24"x36" frame jobs actually up at the moment).
Need pics of this!
Because it's the print we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So we'll hunt it.

Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6899
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:45 pm

MatchsMalone wrote:
fitz wrote: and I have that and Batman framed up on my walls (my only 24"x36" frame jobs actually up at the moment).
Need pics of this!
Here you go - sorry its a bit dark

Image

close up of the Dredd doodle

Image
User avatar
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 707
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Glendora, CA

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 pm

That's awesome! Jock is seriously underrated IMO.
Image
User avatar
sez752
Art Expert
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 pm
Location: St Louis,MO

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Big fan of Jocks work. One of the first prints that I bought was his TDKR SDCC Villains. Sold it to fund another print. Kicking myself now for doing it. I have his TDKR and now the Joker. The other day I was reading a TRON book. Reading the credits, noticed that JOCK did the cover art. Will take pics soon.
ImageImage
User avatar
Danny4342
Art Expert
Posts: 1944
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 pm
Location: New York, NY

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm also a big fan...managed to get his SOTD reg and var AP set - numbered unlucky 13!!! Don't understand why the variant isn't more popular?? His Thing variant was one of the bestprintsof SDCC for me...Has all the details I just love in a print that'll make you pore over it....he's just incredibly talented - I really can't wait to see his career progresses, glad there's finally a thread for him!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image
User avatar
sidewaysscott
Art God
Posts: 22102
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 am
Location: denver

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm

his dkr print is dope.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
User avatar
binky79
Art Expert
Posts: 6311
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:15 pm
Location: DFW burbs

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 pm

I really need to get the SotD, The Thing (Variant) and Dredd up on the wall. Only this one for now.

Image

Hope he does a Fight Club.
User avatar
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak
Posts: 10132
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: A Whale's Vagina

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 pm

bkboy77 wrote:I thought this was a thread to start another fan club and ask for donations to commission a drawing from Stout to gift to Jock. :P

Yes, I have his SOTD poster from NYCC last year and its beautiful. I also kind of dig the zero dark thirty variant poster he did but couldn't understand why I would want to keep a poster of that movie.
I also have his SOTD print from NYCC last year :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
Post Reply