Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
stuckeyc
Art Expert
Posts: 5573
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:00 am

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:06 pm

Debated btwn moonlight and graphite. Was able to secure 1 if the 2 so I am happy
Image
dog117
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:11 pm

acidburn wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:17 am
dog117 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:47 pm
So I was wondering, do prints on BNG actually sell out all the time or does BNG just mark them as sold out to create FOMO and save them for mystery tubes? For example, today's dracula and frankenstein prints were sitting there for a while and then were suddenly marked as sold out at the same time, but they're still available on vice press.
Great question and I'll be totally open book with it.

In regards to yesterday's release, that was a collaboration with Vice. We had an allocation of the general release. They are actually shipping the prints from UK.

Titles sold out pretty fast, art print took a bit but fully sold out on our side within 20 minutes. The original prints had about 10 left of each so we just put them back into Vice's site because it wouldn't make sense for us to keep them on ours if we just end up selling a single print here and there.

As for other releases, we are very much an artist friendly place. You can hear whatever you want to hear about us but at the end of the day, my goal is to make sure the artists here are taken care of. I like to think its why artists have been releasing here for the past 9 years. Same core.

If we have a release that has like 13 prints left and its just not moving, we don't need them to just sit there to make that extra $. I rather sell it out and have a chance for the artist to sell their own copies. Think about it? If we just kept it on our site and then they get their copies, chances of someone really buying theirs is low. Thats how they make their extra money.

Also, it's been said many times but we definitely never sell the entire run. Reason being is that fudge gets lost or damaged can't always replace everything. If something doesn't get damaged and we end up with extras then those go into mystery tubes. Other times, we just see a print and are like this would make a great mystery tube print so we hold back even more.

Like to think thats why many of you guys enjoy the MT. I think most places tend to go into MT all wrong. We treat our MT as a special event here. Not saying you are all going to love what you get (just need to pop into a Phish group to see that) but it seems lime a majority do. We do try our best with it and in order for that to work, we need to invest in it a little.

Plus, its a great advertising tool for some artists. I saw about 3-4 join Joey Feldman's collectors group due to it. Getting some fine art prints into the hands of people who just always buy Batman is never a bad thing. Opens eyes to new artists that they would never purchase. Welker, Masthay, Pollock, Martin,I think its safe to say it now but Shang also. I mean this with all due respect to anyone who is a fan and this has nothing to do with the history behind the actual print but that tube helped jumpstart his market. When the tubes started to land, we would get an email probably ever other week asking who the artist is and then it just ended up spreading and good for him. That lasted for around a year or so and then the rest is history.

Now Ill go back to crying in a pillow that I didn't buy AMC stock.
Thanks a lot for the honest and very complete answer. It makes perfect sense.

And yeah, your MT are great. Lots of other sites/artists tend to put their unsold inventory in them.
User avatar
mike123230
Art Expert
Posts: 5743
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Houston, TX

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Someone should check on Joe after AMC today... :)
ACCBiggz
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:06 pm

mike123230 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:57 pm
Someone should check on Joe after AMC today... :)
I am very sad. For the past 5 months or so I've been telling friends I was preparing to buy stock once it dipped some more because I expected it to rebound once the pandemic was over. Now that vaccines are coming, there's light at the end of the tunnel but they had a lot of moving pieces that I wanted to wait a bit on.

I figured it would get back to $20/share really easy with all the postponed tentpole events. For a solid 2-3 years it's just going to be blockbuster after blockbuster of releases.

I did not anticipate what has happened with Gamestop, AMC, etc. I think it's cool, but could they have picked any other company. :lol: So, yeah, it stings. It stings quite a bit.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:05 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:52 pm

acidburn wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:06 am
jvwoodford wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 am
I noticed on The Goonies it uses a different technique than the other Struzan's, doesn't look dithered (speckled dots) like BTTF for example, is this because there was too much detail that might have got lost? It looks like tiny halftones (a fine grid almost looking like pixels on a screen) instead up close.
You mean BTTF 1?

All Struzan prints from us have went through the same process.
Sorry took a while getting the pics. The Goonies is a lot smoother and seems to use a finer half tone technique (which I noticed was also used on Alvin's ET and Blade Runner) whereas BTTF 2 (pictured for comparison), BTTF3, Pans Labyrinth and ET all use this rougher dithering more like what you normally see on screen prints.

Again, not a complaint, each has its own merits: the finer half tones look much smoother from a distance (nowhere near as bad as BTTF1) and probably more accurately render the original painting due to the finer separations whereas the rougher dithering looks more organic and vibrant. I was just curious why the difference? Was it because the more subtle colour differences on Goonies required a more subtle approach perhaps?

Image

Image
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 18442
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm

So Joe....are there any details regarding the POLLOCK Dinner And A Rematch variant yet? :groucho:
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
stuckeyc
Art Expert
Posts: 5573
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:00 am

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 pm

What's that you say?
Image
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 23789
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:21 pm

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
Posts: 2067
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Haven’t bought a poster in like two years but I googled BNG to get to the website today to see what the cool kids are doing, ended up finding my way over to the BNG Google review page for some popcorn reads and it did not disappoint. Dear Joe, I think BNG should release a charity coffee table book with some of the “Best Of” customer emails of all time. I would buy it in heartbeat.

Love,

Chris
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53313
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:42 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 pm
Haven’t bought a poster in like two years
Why the fug not?!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
mlwells04
Art Expert
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:16 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 pm
Haven’t bought a poster in like two years but I googled BNG to get to the website today to see what the cool kids are doing, ended up finding my way over to the BNG Google review page for some popcorn reads and it did not disappoint. Dear Joe, I think BNG should release a charity coffee table book with some of the “Best Of” customer emails of all time. I would buy it in heartbeat.

Love,

Chris
The best are the BBB reviews and Joe's responses.
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9854
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:34 pm

The BBB ones are always funny to me because its usually someone that is very young or much older and both think that BBB does something to us.
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
Posts: 2067
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:07 pm

acidburn wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:34 pm
The BBB ones are always funny to me because its usually someone that is very young or much older and both think that BBB does something to us.
Oooooooo I’ll have to do some digging into those :lol:
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
User avatar
mattlew69
Art Expert
Posts: 8632
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Midwest

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:22 am

I am interested to hear about the pin edition sizes.

Never realized this artist had such a following!

Were these only released by BNG?
Image
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9854
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:10 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:22 am
I am interested to hear about the pin edition sizes.

Never realized this artist had such a following!

Were these only released by BNG?
Only here. :-)

Going to wait till have exacts per pin just because we have to add on some just in case something gets lost. All are numbered on the back.
Post Reply