Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:04 am

elroy404 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:Overall love the print. But the sabers cutting off bugs my eye a bit.

Mock up I found on io9

All other hardware overlaps, the ships and weapons both sides, I just don't understand the logic on these cut off sabers. My OCD wants a complete transition across these divisions. :hanging:
^This. I'm curious as to why hed prefer to have them cut off.
yea mentioned it earlier. He tried and liked this way better.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:09 am

Personally prefer the variant. The reg has green yoda and boba fett, but every other normal person looks like they have jaundice. Variant's more muted tones appeals more to me.
So it goes...
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:18 am

acidburn wrote:Serious question time...

So we've contemplated it for a while. Do you think if done right, we should maybe tackle the first 3? Not Gabz just other artists.
Considering how many other movie posters are already out there in this hobby, how many more are coming, and how many great movies still ought to be tackled? It's an interesting thought, sure, just think there's probably other stuff that could use the attention first.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
DeadHand
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 am

elroy404 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:Overall love the print. But the sabers cutting off bugs my eye a bit.

Mock up I found on io9

All other hardware overlaps, the ships and weapons both sides, I just don't understand the logic on these cut off sabers. My OCD wants a complete transition across these divisions. :hanging:
maybe he thought they looked too phallic? :lol:

only thing that crosses my mind
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:39 am

KSUvet wrote:I think the poster looks pretty good, but it certainly isn't breaking any new ground. I don't really care for the key image of Luke taken right off the original Jedi poster, with the looming Vader also very similar. I get that it's hard to avoid similarities on a property like this, but at least make the main elements different. The rest appear to be a bunch of promotional stills put through a grainy filter. Is there really anything that makes it unique to the artist like the takes by Stout or Moss?

Well, it does have evvverything. And the colors and "grain" make it unique to Gabz.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:47 am

DeadHand wrote:
elroy404 wrote:
rubberneck wrote:

Mock up I found on io9

maybe he thought they looked too phallic? :lol:

only thing that crosses my mind
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
m0m0
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:25 am

No A-Wing or B-Wing. No buy.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:05 am

KSUvet wrote: Image
I see your Schwartz is as big as mine
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:39 am

The preview with the sabers crossing the borders really is the better version. It really adds extra depth to the print. I respect the artist's final decision but if you ask me, it is the wrong decision.
Jamilton
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am

simonldt wrote: I respect the artist's final decision but if you ask me, it is the wrong decision.
I gotta agree. The sabers being cutoff absolutely ruins it for me. Every other aspect crosses the border, why not that one. I really can't get past it. It would irritate me every time I looked at it. Money saved I guess.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:02 am

it isnt wrong if that is artist wants. you may not like the decision but it doesnt make it wrong.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
schmoff
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:15 am

where exactly will these pop up? on the homepage?
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:15 am

Jamilton wrote:
simonldt wrote: I respect the artist's final decision but if you ask me, it is the wrong decision.
I gotta agree. The sabers being cutoff absolutely ruins it for me. Every other aspect crosses the border, why not that one. I really can't get past it. It would irritate me every time I looked at it. Money saved I guess.
The more I look at it, it does start to bother me more. I'll still pick it up and hopefully forget about it over time, but right now the other version dos look much better. Oh well, it is what it is... Still a sweet print.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:20 am

schmoff wrote:where exactly will these pop up? on the homepage?
On the homepage and just wrote up a blog post.

http://www.bottleneckgallery.com/blogs/ ... sale-today
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:21 am

did mine ship yet?