Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
PeePeeJones
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 pm

guerilladubber wrote:
fallchild wrote:
guerilladubber wrote:
phips wrote:like the look of the Kung Fu Panda print.
True story: A Disney rep came into my friends animation class. My friend had been seeing my band- Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad- every week for several months at that time, as we were doing a weekly gig here in rochester NY.
Anyway, She asked to see what everyone was working on. My friend showed her his character- which was a panda, in a Kung Fu suit. She was intrigued. He went on to explain his character to her.
Well, you probably get the rest... they stole the idea and made millions of dollars off of it.
How long ago was this?

Warcraft 3 introduced Pandaren Monks back in 2002 and they're literal pandas that do martial arts haha
This was '06 probably. Striking similarities between his sketch and what turned into the Kung Fu Panda some know and love. Never seen the flick personally.
Your friend can rest easy - Disney didn't make Kung Fu Panda. Dreamworks did.
PhishTaylorNYE
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:42 am

Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 pm

guerilladubber wrote:
phips wrote:like the look of the Kung Fu Panda print.
True story: A Disney rep came into my friends animation class. My friend had been seeing my band- Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad- every week for several months at that time, as we were doing a weekly gig here in rochester NY.
Anyway, She asked to see what everyone was working on. My friend showed her his character- which was a panda, in a Kung Fu suit. She was intrigued. He went on to explain his character to her.
Well, you probably get the rest... they stole the idea and made millions of dollars off of it.
Pretty sure I saw you guys for the first time at Vibes 2011 and again in NYC after that. Fun shows.
User avatar
egrimens
Art Expert
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 pm

PeePeeJones wrote:
fallchild wrote:
guerilladubber wrote:
phips wrote:like the look of the Kung Fu Panda print.
True story: A Disney rep came into my friends animation class. My friend had been seeing my band- Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad- every week for several months at that time, as we were doing a weekly gig here in rochester NY.
Anyway, She asked to see what everyone was working on. My friend showed her his character- which was a panda, in a Kung Fu suit. She was intrigued. He went on to explain his character to her.
Well, you probably get the rest... they stole the idea and made millions of dollars off of it.
How long ago was this?

Warcraft 3 introduced Pandaren Monks back in 2002 and they're literal pandas that do martial arts haha
Your friend can rest easy - Disney didn't make Kung Fu Panda. Dreamworks did.
Yeah if your friend was in animation class, he might want to figure out who makes what movies before saying things like this...

Oh and speaking of the Pandaren thing, there was a rumor a while back that Dreamworks thought about going after Blizzard when they released Mists of Pandaria for ripping off Kung Fu Panda until someone pointed out they would not only lose but might lose the rights to Kung Fu Panda if they did. I have no idea if that is true or not but I always thought it was kind of funny.
User avatar
guerilladubber
Art Expert
Posts: 3536
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:34 pm
Contact:

Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm

For closure- fully me on the Disney thing- I was literally recalling what he said to me 10 years ago as I was typing it. I then had a friend reach out to him, he sent back those pictures a few more, and the woman's name- which was Vicky Jensen- http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0421776/.
I have no stake in anything, neither does my buddy. It was just a quick thing.
In fact, I'll settle for 750 bottlebux right now
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
User avatar
virtualj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Tue May 09, 2017 8:02 pm

guerilladubber wrote:For closure- fully me on the Disney thing- I was literally recalling what he said to me 10 years ago as I was typing it. I then had a friend reach out to him, he sent back those pictures a few more, and the woman's name- which was Vicky Jensen- http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0421776/.
I have no stake in anything, neither does my buddy. It was just a quick thing.
In fact, I'll settle for 750 bottlebux right now
250 bottlebux is my top offer
I donate anonymously.
User avatar
MJGallicchio
Art Expert
Posts: 1829
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm
Location: 'Merica

Wed May 10, 2017 2:31 pm

So, BNG is selling Englert's AP copies of UP tomorrow. This is what we've all been waiting for. It's Mondo!
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:So, BNG is selling Englert's AP copies of UP tomorrow. This is what we've all been waiting for. It's Mondo!
NT BOTTLENECK
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
User avatar
matowest
Art Expert
Posts: 4890
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:09 am

Wed May 10, 2017 2:35 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:So, BNG is selling Englert's AP copies of UP tomorrow. This is what we've all been waiting for. It's Mondo!
But what is Mondo?
User avatar
pittidesart
Art Expert
Posts: 2882
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm

matowest wrote:
MJGallicchio wrote:So, BNG is selling Englert's AP copies of UP tomorrow. This is what we've all been waiting for. It's Mondo!
But what is Mondo?
A enigma wrapped in a riddle.
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
finneganm wrote:You going to start making rugs?
User avatar
DickButt
Art Expert
Posts: 6947
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Hopefully Joe emails that guy back to let him know this is a Mondo
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9466
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Yea it was fun seeing a bunch of tweets calling us that yesterday. :roll:

Variations of a "wow they're mondo now". I'm like no we are bottleneck
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 3:07 pm

lol "but I have the fastest fios!"
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
User avatar
jkw3000
EB Team
Posts: 22949
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: NYC

Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 pm

ERMAHGERD ITSA MONDO
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
User avatar
acidburn
Art Daddy
Posts: 9466
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:lol "but I have the fastest fios!"
Ha saw that? It was nice this time. Many seemed to have kept it and not flood eBay
Post Reply