Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 am

The Ghibli/Disney stuff is one area I would be terrified to sell goods that were unlicensed.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:15 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:The Ghibli/Disney stuff is one area I would be terrified to sell goods that were unlicensed.
Wouldn't step foot into Etsy...kind of a Ghibli free for all.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Birdman is now up

http://www.bottleneckgallery.com/produc ... n-bird-man

Going pretty fast too. Thank you guys :D
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:59 pm

acidburn wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:The Ghibli/Disney stuff is one area I would be terrified to sell goods that were unlicensed.
True, but its a general free for all on all properties and is self-contained...no outside-in marketing.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:09 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
acidburn wrote:
True, but its a general free for all on all properties and is self-contained...no outside-in marketing.
Etsy is its own marketing machine. As well as Society6 and other mass produced print businesses. The traffic they probalby get in a minute is more then I bet all of the pop galleries get in months.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:19 pm

So... trading/reselling/flipping posters of Ghibli and Disney properties is ok?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:30 pm

oinkoink wrote:So... trading/reselling/flipping posters of Ghibli and Disney properties is ok?
honestly its a topic that always gets brought up here, will always keep getting brought up here and there will always be two sides.

I feel from the experience so far I've had with everything in over two years, the people I've met in licensing, the artists we have worked with from different studios, what I see other people get away with that I'm even baffled by, I've learned a lot.
oinkoink
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:39 pm

acidburn wrote:
oinkoink wrote:So... trading/reselling/flipping posters of Ghibli and Disney properties is ok?
honestly its a topic that always gets brought up here, will always keep getting brought up here and there will always be two sides.

I feel from the experience so far I've had with everything in over two years, the people I've met in licensing, the hundreds of artists we have worked with from different studios, what I see other people get away with that I'm even baffled by, I've learned a lot.
Hahaha I was asking the hypothetical question to throw a friendly jab at the EB users that complain so often about licensing. It's a ticky tack situation. But I think it all comes down to risk assessment. If someone is willing to take the risk and it pays off for him/her, then more power to them. If someone isn't, it's understandable and ok.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:54 pm

oinkoink wrote:
acidburn wrote:

I feel from the experience so far I've had with everything in over two years, the people I've met in licensing, the hundreds of artists we have worked with from different studios, what I see other people get away with that I'm even baffled by, I've learned a lot.
Hahaha I was asking the hypothetical question to throw a friendly jab at the EB users that complain so often about licensing. It's a ticky tack situation. But I think it all comes down to risk assessment. If someone is willing to take the risk and it pays off for him/her, then more power to them. If someone isn't, it's understandable and ok.
haha but honestly i do realize its one of those topics that gets everyone all riled up. At the end of the day, I do lookout for the artists we work with. There are a few subjects that you will never see at the space and I'm also strongly against the use of titles unless allowed. Not even for a legal standpoint just because its not the business we wanted to open.

A lot of ppl see me mention the word "goals" a lot because its always changing. One of our goals for this year was less group shows, more releases to focus on individual artists and build a core group here.

For instance, AJ Frena. Her work is incredible. So yea she just did a Totoro piece but how about maybe an edition of one of her personal works. Want explore that more.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:57 pm

oinkoink wrote:But I think it all comes down to risk assessment. If someone is willing to take the risk and it pays off for him/her, then more power to them. If someone isn't, it's understandable and ok.
it's a shame that for many new and emerging artists, it all comes down to risk/reward of potential profits versus their artistic integrity and other's intellectual property.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
PLUSH
Art Expert

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:58 pm

acidburn wrote:Birdman is now up

:hanging: got back from gym and forgot about this. Bad day to forget phone.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:00 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:
oinkoink wrote:But I think it all comes down to risk assessment. If someone is willing to take the risk and it pays off for him/her, then more power to them. If someone isn't, it's understandable and ok.
it's a shame that for many new and emerging artists, it all comes down to risk/reward of potential profits versus their artistic integrity and other's intellectual property.
sometimes you have to shout to be heard. And im learning that more and more each day.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 pm

PLUSH wrote:
acidburn wrote:Birdman is now up

:hanging: got back from gym and forgot about this. Bad day to forget phone.
glen will def have aps of some sort.
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Damn, i missed out too ):
mistersmith wrote: (an unlicensed Bad Boys 2 poster is probably the least essential use I can think of for a piece of paper. At least if you wipe your ass with some paper you will have cleaned up a mess).
DickButt
Art Expert

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Added our Cut Short pieces to our Up bedroom. Looking forward to the Fairhurst arriving to complete our little theme.
image.jpg