Shipping $1,000 Prints Domestically

General art-related discussion.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 pm

I just shipped a 30 something inch x 4" thick ass PVC tube from AL to CA with 850$ insurance for $30 and change. Yazoo would've probably shaved off less than 10 bucks, but I know that PVC won't get crushed. I've had plenty of yazoo tubes arrived damaged.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
csorensen84
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 pm

lsmith55 wrote:
csorensen84 wrote:Newbie at this, but selling a valuable print domestically, and wondering what everyone suggests for carrier. Want to ensure that I am covered under PayPal seller protection, so need signature / delivery confirmation, insurance (believe some carriers have limits to artwork), and don't want the buyer to be able to re-route the package (hesitant given the PayPal user agreement states seller not covered if the package is re-routed from the confirmed address). Any insight / thoughts is helpful.

Thanks.
I think you are misinterpreting Paypal seller protection to begin with. Paypal protects the buyer of an item that gets damaged- the seller protection pertains to fraudulent charges or fees on a refunded payment. USPS (or any other carrier) Shipping insurance protects the seller and shipment of an item. If you don't pay for shipping insurance, than you are not covered. Insure it for the total amount.

I personally think as long as it's packaged properly in a thick Yazoo, you'll be fine- PVC can be overkill, but that's just my opinion. Whatever covers you and makes you feel secure shipping something is the route to take.
Thanks all. Definitely a lot of helpful in here (particularly the drinking part).

Understand the insurance is protection not necessary with PayPal (for a sellers own protection during shipment), but there is some fine print that says that there needs to be signature confirmation to the approved address in PayPal. However, if I ship a print and either during the transportation of the item or after a failed delivery at the specified approved address there is re-routing to a separate address by the buyer, and that is where the signature confirmation is ultimately received, if a buyer states non-receipt, is the seller then not covered as they technically don't have signature confirmation at the approved PayPal address as it at the new address (ie. buyer is reimbursed with the sale proceeds and seller out the print and cash). There seems to be fine print in the user agreement around this, but I may be misinterpreting.
jojobadass
Art Freak

Wed May 29, 2013 2:31 pm

don't use UPS and you'll be fine
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

and for everything else under the sun; including fine art, art prints, toys and other junk....be sure to check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosfineart.com
Bluecow
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 pm

I used USPS Express to ship the Moss Star Wars prints that I sold back in February (shipped in PVC tube, insured for $4250). It's overnight delivery signature included and with the insurance that was required it was actually about the same price or even slightly cheaper than Priority Mail.
CrystalLake
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 am

spagucci1 wrote:I use a yazoo inside a shipping triangle.
I've done this a few times w/o any issues. I have also sent over 1,200 Yazoo tubes in the past 3 years via USPS First Class and Priority (domestic and international) with zero damage.

To be covered under PayPal, make sure you ship it to a confirmed address, and have a direct signature required. I don't know the rules with indirect sigs (neighbors signing, leaving a note on the door, etc.)
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 am

Fed x are monkeys

NEVER use them
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:49 am

chalkdust wrote:anything over $800 always gets a custom PVC tube..
THIS...and and shipped via FedEx so I can track every step of the way. USPS calls theirs tracking but it's delivery confirmation. You never know where the hell your poster is until it actually shows up.

My procedure:

* Go to Home Depot and buy a 4 inch PVC pipe. You can even get a short one that's pre-cut or ask them to cut one for you to size.
* Buy two pressure test caps in the plumbing aisle for your 4" pipe (don't try to be cheap and go smaller).
* I use a hand held grinder with 1" wheel on it to cut a groove 2/3 the depth of the pressure cap on one end and I glue the cap to the other end. Optional step but makes it easy to open
* Wash the tube with soap and water inside and out. They plan on these carrying turds so they're not worried about getting the dirt out of them.
* Cap one end (optional - I glue this end and let it dry for 2 days before I put anything in it)
* Roll your poster in craft paper and use tissue paper to wrap over the top rolling edge and down the first part of your poster so you don't scuff it when you start rolling. Roll just under 4" but don't go too tight...no reason and you might crease it. Some people tape them at this point so they'll slide in easily but I hold it firmly and slide it into the tube. The posters trying to unroll in the tube helps hold them in place so they're not bouncing on their ends.
* I like to stick bubble wrap or wadded up paper in the ends as a cushion because they're going to try to move up and down.
* Cap the end and tape it. Use a sharpie to mark the end that should be opened

Most guys go with a Yazoo tube and I do if it's under $500 but anything over goes in a PVC pipe if I'm shipping it. I buy 12 foot pipes and chop them down so my cost for the pipe and caps is about $3 for bullet proof shipping. It's about the same as a Yazoo tube once you've worked the shipping price into the equation.

Just my $.02 but I think you're wise to investigate this option. It's a heavier tube but it's water tight and I can stand on it with no issues and I'm 6'3", 275 pounds. No way I'd stand on a Yazoo tube with an expensive poster in it.
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.