Shipping $1,000 Prints Domestically

General art-related discussion.
csorensen84
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Newbie at this, but selling a valuable print domestically, and wondering what everyone suggests for carrier. Want to ensure that I am covered under PayPal seller protection, so need signature / delivery confirmation, insurance (believe some carriers have limits to artwork), and don't want the buyer to be able to re-route the package (hesitant given the PayPal user agreement states seller not covered if the package is re-routed from the confirmed address). Any insight / thoughts is helpful.

Thanks.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 12:17 pm

I would be most concerned about packing safely vs a shipper, but I almost always use USPS
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
PaintByNumbers
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 12:54 pm

I am not sure you can re-route USPS shipments.

I would also look into using PVC piping.
If you would like to help those affected by the tragedy in Boston, please donate here : http://onefundboston.org/

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. '
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

Package safely. Ship with insurance and signature confirmation. Drop off at your local post office and ask for an acceptance scan (assuming you are doing online postage). Find local bar, stop there and have a beer.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed May 29, 2013 12:58 pm

PaintByNumbers wrote:I am not sure you can re-route USPS shipments.

I would also look into using PVC piping.

USPS packages can be re-routed but only back to the sender (I believe you pay a $4.95 charge or something like that).
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 pm

anything over $800 always gets a custom PVC tube..
hater1000
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:08 pm

fedex and a yazoo tube. never had an issue. I never use USPS for anything valuable.
aka: AFR1KA
instagram: MrJustin82
If you live in NYC give me a shout!
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 pm

^all this stuff and you're gravy kid!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
therivler1
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:Package safely. Ship with insurance and signature confirmation. Drop off at your local post office and ask for an acceptance scan (assuming you are doing online postage). Find local bar, stop there and have a beer.
this. depending on size and what you have, double tubing is an option.

it feels weird dropping off expensive prints at first. you get used to it.
ceevee
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 pm

hater1000 wrote:fedex and a yazoo tube. never had an issue. I never use USPS for anything valuable.
I tried to ship something valuable via FedEx once. They gave me some spiel about how, in order to insure it, it would have to be unpacked and then repacked by them. And this was something that was already packaged up about as securely as you can get. Needless to say, I ended up going with good ol' USPS with no issue.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed May 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Try a tube inside a pole box (you can wrap the tube in bubble wrap if it does not fit). Significantly cheaper than PVC, and I've never had an issue.
That's what she said
spagucci1
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm

I use a yazoo inside a shipping triangle. PVC makes the package weight too much this driving shipping costs up drastically.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

spagucci1 wrote:I use a yazoo inside a shipping triangle. PVC makes the package weight too much this driving shipping costs up drastically.
Not if you buy the right PVC tube, the kind Ames ships in is perfect
lsmith55
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 2:10 pm

csorensen84 wrote:Newbie at this, but selling a valuable print domestically, and wondering what everyone suggests for carrier. Want to ensure that I am covered under PayPal seller protection, so need signature / delivery confirmation, insurance (believe some carriers have limits to artwork), and don't want the buyer to be able to re-route the package (hesitant given the PayPal user agreement states seller not covered if the package is re-routed from the confirmed address). Any insight / thoughts is helpful.

Thanks.
I think you are misinterpreting Paypal seller protection to begin with. Paypal protects the buyer of an item that gets damaged- the seller protection pertains to fraudulent charges or fees on a refunded payment. USPS (or any other carrier) Shipping insurance protects the seller and shipment of an item. If you don't pay for shipping insurance, than you are not covered. Insure it for the total amount.

I personally think as long as it's packaged properly in a thick Yazoo, you'll be fine- PVC can be overkill, but that's just my opinion. Whatever covers you and makes you feel secure shipping something is the route to take.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed May 29, 2013 2:15 pm

4" O.D. Sch. 40 steel pipe, is what I use. Especially if this is a Horkey TWBB.

Remember to fully weld only one end and tack weld the other end, or else the buyer wont be able to open it.

If I am feeling extra nice, I will send along a separate box with a Blair Spotweld Cutter inside.

Otherwise, you can send the print to me and I can package it up for you. :P