Dark Hall Mansion Thread -- News / Releases / Rumors / Art

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:21 pm

BavarianErin wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
BavarianErin wrote:
beetlejuice wrote: Just because some folks in THIS community aren't accustomed to paying these prices doesn't mean that fans of Shag (or Alex Ross - since we had this discussion for his Beatles print as well) aren't willing and happy to pay it. This isn't the end all be all of the art community and the sooner people realize that, the less we'll have to hear about how people just "don't get it."
But with alex ross you can see just by looking at the piece that he spent days upon days painting that image. Shag stuff feels overpriced because of how simple the illustration appears.

I do not want to say that his stuff isn't good because art is subjective and if it speaks to his fans and to others thats great. It's just hard for me as to see the reason one would need to pay $350-$600 for this print.
That is absurd. Piet Mondrian, Joan Miro, Roy Lichtenstein... would anyone consider their art overpriced due to simplicity?
If there was a print release with any of those artists involved and it was priced around $350-$600 for me I'd have to really reall REALLY love the image in order to drop that kind of money for a single print.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Celsius wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:But with alex ross you can see just by looking at the piece that he spent days upon days painting that image. Shag stuff feels overpriced because of how simple the illustration appears.
I hope you're not serious. Do you think consumers value art by the amount of time an artist puts into it? Unless an artist informs them, the consumer would have no clue how much an artist put his or her time into a piece. How many times did the artist have to re-do the composition? How many times did an artist have to redraw that hand? How many times did the artist have to re-paint something because it didn't seem right? Do you think Olly Moss' stuff should be priced lower because his stuff is minimalist? Of course if an artist spent a lot of time on something he'll tend to price it higher, but you have no idea how many hours Shag might've spent on this piece.
I don't know. I can't and don't speak for everyone. What it really comes down to for me is how much am I willing to pay for a piece of art.

If its handcrafted or an original my price point is much different than it is for a print.

With Olly his work is usually initially offered for less than $200, I can't control what the aftermarket charges. If Olly was charging $50-$100 dollars for his 5x5's I would probably pass because that is to pricey for something like that.

And you are right, I don't know the work involved that Shag did for the piece. I'm not trying to fudge on his artistic integrity.

All I'm saying is that when I look at this image, and I look at the price, I would not pay $350-$600 for a print like that.

Simply it doesn't speak to me and I'm glad it does to others.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 pm

lol. You'd think twice on a $600 Mondrian or Lichtenstein?? :lol:
Same fudge, different drop.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:53 pm

gonzo303 wrote:lol. You'd think twice on a $600 Mondrian or Lichtenstein?? :lol:
If the art didn't speak to me no I wouldn't. Not for a print.
mh4268
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:50 pm

I picked up a standard foil, I simply liked this print with color and am interested in how it will look with foil. I think these may be available for a bit, his Monster portfolio (which is awesome) was around for quite a bit.
BavarianErin
Art Expert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

mh4268 wrote:I picked up a standard foil, I simply liked this print with color and am interested in how it will look with foil. I think these may be available for a bit, his Monster portfolio (which is awesome) was around for quite a bit.
I'm under the opinion that a print sticking around for a little while is actually a *good* thing. Art collectors, and fans of certain artists aren't always the F5 type and also maybe aren't even the type to be online all day, every day. When they see trickle down news about a print or hear about something after it has already come out, it's nice that they can still go to the vendor and buy the item.

I worry that instant sell out discourage new customers from every coming back to purchase again. I've seen it happen with people I know. They may see me post on FB about a release but it's hours after the drop time of an instant sell out and my post is pretty much worthless to them.

I'm all for prints sticking around for a while after release!
ImageImage
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Its really just the price point.
GmidD
Art Expert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:19 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Its really just the price point.
dutchflowers
Art Expert

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:52 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Its really just the price point.
rfalk32
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 am

great print (not a TZ fan) but that its actually a cheap price point a large shag print but certainly to expensive to just buy for the collection.
DarkHallMansion
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Nicolas Delort x King Kong
Details on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dark-Hal ... 4752134162

DHM
http://www.DarkHallMansion.com
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri May 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Love it.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
captainhavoc
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Foil prints are SHRN
Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 3:40 pm

That is pretty awesome.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Don't need the foil but I love the print so I guess if I try for it, I have no choice :P