Dark Hall Mansion Thread -- News / Releases / Rumors / Art

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:20 am

They had a few good prints. (LD Phantom, Delort Universal monsters)

A lot of mediocre prints.

And a deluge of peanuts prints.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 am

It’s a wonderful life is in the public domain. Hence why it plays on TV all the time. It doesn’t cost cable companies any money to play it. Or to make a poster of it.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:24 am

binky79 wrote:...Its a Wonderful Life too.
After quite a few years acquiring skills in Illustrator/Photoshop, in all seriousness...I could probably produce something worthy. However, I have to remind myself of the famous phrase, RWYA. So, why waste my time? This isn't exactly the place for a newcomer to try their hand at making it. It's a real head-scratcher that there are those here that are still willing to support artists that steal members money, make/sell unlicensed work and a number of other offenses that I can't think of right now. These days, the support pretty much only comes with flip potential...regardless of character/history.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:58 am

it all went south once they stopped having artists sign the prints ..... :D

DHM kept EB updated - that was nice of them :clap:
Sniffer85
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:08 am

35mmpaul wrote:Yeah this isn’t sad. This was inevitable.
It's sad when anybody puts time, effort and their money into any business and it goes bust. Sorry to hear it.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 am

Sniffer85 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:Yeah this isn’t sad. This was inevitable.
It's sad when anybody puts time, effort and their money into any business and it goes bust. Sorry to hear it.
This is just an example of why I foed that asshat. Pure callousness.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 am

Hey Sue.

Always good to hear from you.

Saying I’m not surprised about a company folding that released an library of titles that didn’t sell doesn’t make me callous.

DHM refused to push themselves or their artists forward and released the same properties over and over. And a lot of the times with artists that didn’t have a lot of pull and That put out high edition numbers of prints with sometimes 4 or 5 different editions of the same peanuts print.

I spoke to a few artists that had worked for them and they were disheartened that they had released work with them that they weren’t happy with because they had been noted to death.

I wasn’t banking on a company that someone put their time and effort in to fail. But if you look at other companies like bottleneck who has expanded to covering not only movie prints. But street art and gig posters as well. And toys and portfolios. Or guys at grey matter that are out nearly every weekend at conventions.

It’s not callous to look at the writing on the wall and not feel surprised when DHM who had no online presence, had page after page of unsold prints, with huge editions sizes, many of non current and low interest titles, with artists who weren’t thrilled to work with them, and haven’t released a print in half a year, that after all that the company ended.

So yeah. I wasn’t surprised. Just like I’m not surprised you Foed me. Or surprised that you think that Rory Kurtz couldn’t possibly be a freehand artist and had to use photoshop to do his posters. But in a way thank you for that because it brought out Kurtz alts.

Hope you are well sue. Please never change.
binky79
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

35mmpaul wrote:It’s a wonderful life is in the public domain. Hence why it plays on TV all the time. It doesn’t cost cable companies any money to play it. Or to make a poster of it.
True and also not true. Interesting info in the wikipedia article about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_ ... ght_issues

And from the poster release...
Dark Hall Mansion, under license from Paramount Pictures, the Stewart Family. LLC, and the Children of Donna Reed, will be offering a very special stocking stuffer...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:29 am

Interesting read. Good to know.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:08 am

I kind of liked the (signed) SHAG prints they did. A bit surprised the UM portfolio and the TZ prints of his are still available through DHM
moviewizguy
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am

mh4268 wrote:
chisoxfan2424 wrote:
DaleCooper wrote:It's quite sad really. Also, they bowed out in a respectful way, trying their best to honor everyone's subscriptions by offering the alternative print. Others would have just disappeared and I'd have never seen my 10 prints.

What did everyone choose? Went for A Boy Named Charlie Brown by Whalen. Nothing valuable but I like it.
I got a Wizard of Oz, it was my 3rd choice. I wanted that superman
Yes, it is sad. I respect what they did by offering a print like this.

I was on the variant subscription, I got Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Whalen. I just noticed that it is a 26x38 print (why) so it will never make the wall, but I like the print anyway. It was my third choice as well, the Willy Wonka ananphada was first, then a catwoman Batman returns was second.
I read about Body Snatchers. It's actually 24x36.
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 am

My 2 favorites were from their seminal sci fi series. Most prints were great, only miss was the Eng Forbidden Planet only available on foil. It just didn't work well with the gritty composition style.
FB_IMG_1529718263002.jpg
Metropolis Metals.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:23 pm

35mmpaul wrote: Saying I’m not surprised about a company folding that released an library of titles that didn’t sell doesn’t make me callous.
Paul, you don't know the circumstances for the closure. You don't know, financially, what it required to sustain their business...maybe they were perfectly fine selling a small library of titles. It might be health-related reasons or some other private reason for closure. You don't know why they released a limited library of titles. In the emails that I received from them left me with the impression of a person with a spiritual nature. Perhaps their faith/religion prohibited them from producing/selling certain subject matter.

You, Paul, are one of the most callous man that I've ever had the pleasure of not meeting. The only other person that tops you is that drymount sitting in the WH that likes to take children away from their families. Maybe ask some of your friends/co-workers for their opinion - if you exhibit a callous personality.
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:35 pm

^ tldr — Trump > 35mmpaul
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 pm

I loath Trump with my entire being. Just to clarify Trump > Paul speaking in levels of callousness.