Dark Hall Mansion Thread -- News / Releases / Rumors / Art

General art-related discussion.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Bummed it isn't a 007 Bond with one of those sexy cars that Laurent does so well.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Gojira
WhoLikesRingo wrote:This single post led to a roller coaster of emotion. Congrats kharma, king of the thread.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:44 pm

thekharmainitiative wrote:Gojira
I wouldn't complain.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
listerfeend
Art Expert

ArchibaldTuttle wrote:
pisker wrote:When do we get the full reveal?
They said 5:30 PST today, so anytime.
DarkHallMansion wrote:
GiantBoyDective wrote:when are you guys going to announce general sale of Duriuex? Sorry if I missed it. I can't hang with the emails
About 6PM PST today after sale closes.

Thanks,
DHM
http://www.DarkHallMansion.com
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

^ winnah
Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
glenn1
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:45 pm

I guess they had trouble following the email as well:
At 5:30 PM PST, same day, TUESDAY, Aug 25th, we'll reveal our latest DHM Seminal Film Series release by artist Laurent Durieux on our Facebook page
GiantBoyDective
Art Freak

Image #trollcru
danieldanger wrote:what you do aint hustlin. see, in MY hustle, i get to sell the whole run and each print only costs me like $6. y'alls is small potatoe street level fudge.
DeadHand
Art Expert

GiantBoyDective wrote:^ winnah
my god, I said that jokingly on facebook O_O
BrandonJ
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:46 pm

looks awesome :clap:
DarkHallMansion
Art Expert

"Godzilla" 1954
Artist: Laurent Durieux
24" x 36"

"Godzilla" 1954
Artist: Laurent Durieux
24" x 36"

We've had this piece in development with Laurent for quite some time. We were instantly taken with his first concept for it and there was nothing further to discuss, this was the one. It had power, resonance, notably more than meets the eye, and Laurent Durieux storytelling elevating the piece to something quite serious and in line with our Seminal Film Series. Please see the interview we arranged, below, with our friends at Blurppy and Jack and Laurent Durieux to see where Laurent was at with this piece.

Thanks so much!

DHM
http://www.DarkHallMansion.com

============
- Godzilla is one of those iconic characters that has been done in numerous films and is a favorite topic for many artists. What is it about this character that resonates with folks some 60+ years after he first hit the screen?

Well I can't really speak for others, but as far as I'm concerned, I've always been fascinated by the early days of Monster/Science fiction movies, the early days of special effects most particularly. In retrospect, they are naive in the execution, yet I'm sure when they hit the screens some 60 odd years ago (or 80 years ago as it was the case for "King Kong" or even further in time with "Trip to the Moon" by Georges Méliès in the 1902), they must have been so scary, fascinating and "realistic". And that's what touches me in a way; the many different generations of visual wizardry and ingenuity and how the respective audience responded to it back in the days. Who knows, one day, 50 or 60 years from now, we'll be "smiling" looking at Jurassic Park and find it "cute"? As for the character itself, Godzilla really is the japanese alter ego of my favorite Monster, "King Kong" but with a twist that I will elaborate in the next question and which I find extremely interesting.

- What was your approach and process like for this print?

The hardest part for me was to come up with an image that would go beyond just a city destroying monster flick. I believe that though Godzilla's first goal was to scare the audience in a entertaining fashion, the movie theme goes deeper than that just that. The movie was released in 1954, so 9 years only after both Hiroshima and Nagazaki nuclear blasts. Imagine that! So for me, Godzilla (who became a destroying monster because of the submarine nuclear tests) conveys an entire and more poignant message. What if "Godzilla" was some sort of catharsis about the atomic horror the Japanese have suffered? A way for the Japanese to turn the page and move on. It also most definitely is a way of saying, Hey Nuke power is dangerous when it goes out of control, it backfires at the humanity in most devastating ways, trust us, we've been there!
So rather than depicting a monster spitting flames and destroying the city, I wanted to emphasize this angle, the historic/social interpretation of the movie. Naturally "Gojira" was born out of a nuclear blast and that's exactly what I drawn. I wanted to depict a contrast of the quiet landscape of the ancestral Japan with the modern day horror at its worst.

- Personally I find myself being drawn to the person walking, carrying the lantern, is there any special significance for this person?

Me too! The lantern in Japan is used mainly for celebration, 2015 is the celebration of the 70th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagazaki disaster. So I wanted to include that in the poster as a subtle hidden message. I love the way the man holding the lantern is walking quietly, he is not running or panicking, he seems to be serene about this. It also emphasize the contrast. The bottom of the image is an ode to the wonderful work of japanese woodblock prints artists and more precisely to Hazui Kawase who is my absolute favorite. Again, tradition is very important in Japanese culture and I wanted to somehow show that in the image too. Tradition vs Modernity, pretty much how it still is today in Japan.

- Out of all they years and many versions of Godzilla, what is your favorite and why? The Tojo Company version, or the Legendary Pictures take?

I couldn't say as I haven't seen the recent remake. I'm usually opposed to any sorts of remakes as they are rarely better than the originals. For the reasons I explained in my first answer, I will always be attracted to the more expressionists and first takes on a subject. Also, like it was the case for all of the Universal Monsters movies whose posters I designed a couple of years ago, I had never seen Godzilla before. I'm a bit embarrassed admitting it but that's the truth. I am grateful to have been asked to work on such a fantastic movie as it has allowed me to discover yet another seminal movie and hopefully bring a fresh take on it.
partpat
Art Expert

MOAR godzilla posters
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:47 pm

It's like this year's Iron Giant.
BrandonJ
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Now the hunt begins for this.
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Not sure if I like it or not... not sure.
http://www.legendaryframes.com

I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.
DickButt
Art Expert

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:51 pm

Is he being shot out of an underwater canon?