Disney Drawings and Sketches

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
Celsius
Flipper
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California (was in Yokohama, Japan)

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 pm

If that is from Walt, whoever told you it was worth $300 was lying up the ass.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah, if that one is from Walt, it's worth a far stretch more than $300.
Image
User avatar
erba
Art Expert
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 am

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Could be something like $325 - $350 if Walt did it.
User avatar
Celsius
Flipper
Posts: 8267
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California (was in Yokohama, Japan)

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:26 pm

erba wrote:Could be something like $325 - $350 if Walt did it.
You forgot a lot of zeros.

An original mickey mouse sketch done by him in the 1960s is worth over $30,000.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18127
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Celsius wrote:fuuuuuck. This is awesome!
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
erba
Art Expert
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 am

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Celsius wrote:
erba wrote:Could be something like $325 - $350 if Walt did it.
You forgot a lot of zeros.

An original mickey mouse sketch done by him in the 1960s is worth over $30,000.
I know, I was being sarcastic
User avatar
JangoFresh
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:18 am

Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:46 am

I got a couple of sketches from Ben Butcher at SDCC, he was super awesome, I think his title was head of consumer product art at Pixar, or something like that.

Image

Image
User avatar
erba
Art Expert
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 am

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:50 pm

After getting so few returns in the last few months, I get 2 in 2 days. These are from animator Andrew Chesworth. He also sent back a great note.

Image
User avatar
ToonKiller
Art Expert
Posts: 1929
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm
Location: High Plains Drifter

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Brilliant thread!
Great to see the ones who don't mind taking a second for a stranger who sends in a random letter and return something that's pure awesome!!
Great idea :clap:
User avatar
Tetsuojin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 am
Location: California

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:28 pm

erba wrote:After getting so few returns in the last few months, I get 2 in 2 days. These are from animator Andrew Chesworth. He also sent back a great note.

Image
bbeech wrote:These are great, thanks for sharing them!

This is my favorite piece of art I have. Its not worth much but my grandfather got it in the 1930's from a Disney talk at his school.

Image

Nice piece but I hate to burst your bubble by saying that I sincerely doubt the goofy piece was rendered by Walt Disney himself. Walt had a very rough drawing style and rarely drew anything after the Alice cartoon comedies. Even the very first Mickey Mouse cartoons were principally designed and animated by his partner, the great Ub Iwerks. Having said that, I do believe your piece was created by one of the Disney animators under Walt's request, not by Walt himself. Still worth a few thousand, but not 30k...
User avatar
bbeech
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm
Location: California

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:56 am

Tetsuojin wrote:
Nice piece but I hate to burst your bubble by saying that I sincerely doubt the goofy piece was rendered by Walt Disney himself. Walt had a very rough drawing style and rarely drew anything after the Alice cartoon comedies. Even the very first Mickey Mouse cartoons were principally designed and animated by his partner, the great Ub Iwerks. Having said that, I do believe your piece was created by one of the Disney animators under Walt's request, not by Walt himself. Still worth a few thousand, but not 30k...
No worries, I didn't think it was signed by Walt Disney. I only know that it was a talk by the Walt Disney Studio.

I've thought about contacting the university to see if they had records of what artist might have given the talk.
User avatar
DickButt
Art Expert
Posts: 6962
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: NYC

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Love those Tony Baxter ones, he's a legend for sure!
rballard84
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 am

This is amazing!

From the amount of letters you send out how many replies do you get?
User avatar
erba
Art Expert
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 am

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm

rballard84 wrote:This is amazing!

From the amount of letters you send out how many replies do you get?

I have sent out about 40 and recevied around 15 back so far. Tony Baxter took about 3 1/2 months, so there is always hope that there will be more coming back in time. Sometimes people can take months or even years to respond.
User avatar
trarex
Art Expert
Posts: 7361
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Nice collection , enjoyed seeing it, :pint:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
Post Reply