Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Why do people buy art?

To profit?

What happened to humanity?
shoeless
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.
bmerel
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 pm

shoeless wrote:Image

HAHAHAHA!!

i'm eating snack as well right now.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm

BigmanJames wrote:Why do people make art?

To profit?

What happened to humanity?
fyp

apparently to try to make 500 large of some crap

eBay 271195671048
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Why do you sell art ( :shock: ) for profit, oh the humanity! :hanging:
BigmanJames
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2013 3:49 pm

where have i profited? i am the only non whore artist left. wake up
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2013 3:49 pm

He's baaaack.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh thank god.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Doesn't seem very drunk yet though.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BigmanJames
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Codeblue

you are a consumer at heart.

put some ink on paper my man

create

join on
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I made a wicked Grendel drawing in 6th grade yo.
BigmanJames
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 pm

The Awakening
“If I knew why I was here I don’t think I would even be here” I said to the shrink.
“Isn’t that interesting” said the psychologist in a demeaning tone.
“That’s it. Enough of the Freudian bullshit. I’ve had enough. I’m leaving.”
“No wait, please John. What is the problem? I don’t mean to patronize you.”
“Well the truth is…I am frustrated. I don’t know what I was put here to do. I don’t know what my life’s purpose is. I have been a beast who puts construction debris in a dumpster and leans on a shovel. I’ve never accomplished anything and it is frustrating.”
“What do you mean John? You are a family man, you have a good job, and…”
“No I mean beyond that. It feels as if I haven’t found my true calling. At first I thought I was going to be a musician and that failed, then a writer and well I can’t put two sentences together….I want to be remembered for something. I want to world to hear my name and automatically think of a great song or a great novel…something….anything…so far…nothing has come to fruition…sometimes it feels like there are actually powers working against me…like the world doesn’t want me to succeed and to be someone…”
But he didn’t understand. He was just a court appointed councilor. He only cared about money. That’s what the courts were set up for, to make money. Money was not my God. Instead, maybe it was immortality. I wanted to be remembered for something….anything! It didn’t matter at this point. I was in my mid 30s driving around a beat up rusty pick up truck. I had a lot to tell the world, but didn’t know how to do so. It was confusing and aggravating. Perhaps the worst part about being and knowing you are an artist, a true artist, is the lack of acknowledgment you receive from the world. It really hurts, deep down right in your gut. Those people who were held up so high…my idols….Hemingway…Bukowski…how did they do it? Were they ever this confused? If so they never showed it that I was aware of.
Maybe the key to success was consistency. It most probably was. No one cares at first and that is obvious. We are all born slaves. Perhaps the only way to break the bonds was to keep at it. That is what I would do…try and…no! Rather start to live as a writer every day.
I knew one thing…the mere fact that I realized that something was wrong with my life, at the most deepest of levels…told me that I was on the right path. Humans were not meant to live a meaningless life and die…we were meant to add something to this human existence and that is what I would set out to do. To be a someone and to do something….anything.
I decided to start and write a poem. I had written may poems before but never as a serious writer. Whenever I thought of poetry the first thing I thought of was love poems. However, as far as I saw it, there wasn’t much love left in the world. We were engaged in several wars, people were starving in the streets, and people were losing their way; probably much the same I had lost my own way. People needed to wake up. This would be the type of poetry I would right. It would describe what was going wrong in the world. If people could be awoken to such situations, then we could correct them and become a better world. The world which we were meant to be.
Finding a theme
There was a lot to write about. There were many injustices in the world. As a writer, I knew I had to make my voice unique as I was. That was the only way to be remembered and at the same time to wake people up to new realizations. After all, as a writer I was sacrificing a piece of myself to the world. Maybe sacrifice was part of the mission as well. After all, it worked for Jesus.
My mind was wondering again. I needed to stay on track. I needed to get something onto paper. A poem was my mission. Lately, for whatever reason, my mind had been wandering toward those God damned self-checkout machines. They were appearing at Wal-Mart, the hardware store, the grocery store. Like any free thinking individual, I immediately became suspicious of them. Perhaps they were a tool of the New World Order. They were obviously egotistical in nature.
They were meant to save the user time. Swipe each item over the RFID reader and scan the barcode. Bag your item and go. However, if you notice, there is always someone watching you. An employee guard to make sure you are using the technology correctly, and to make sure that you are not a thief. These are you untrustworthy tutors in this new technology. We were being trained to use this technology. I didn’t like it. Not only did it put the check-out tellers out of a job, but it also killed the human element when the commerce exchange took place. This technology was truly a killer of humanity and I had taken notice.
But I was guilty and I still am. I used the technology. I must admit, that the less I am around people the better I feel and this technology afforded me the luxury. Maybe I was a victim of the New World Order, maybe by design I had grown to hate humanity, but it was true. And as part of humanity I had even grown to hate myself. I had grown to hate the stupidity which attempted to cloud my mind. The more I existed the less I felt that humanity was a special creation of God. If we were made in the image of God, then why did he make us so perverse, injust and ugly? These were things that always crossed my mind, and these were the same things which led me to enjoy such technologies which could separate me from interactions with humanity as much as possible.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2013 3:54 pm

ISO another YouTube video.
GarthMarenghi
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm

BigmanJames wrote:.
TL;DR
maden
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I realize this thread is about the James B Studios....which I do not dispute. Hear me out, maybe I can offer some insight.

I am in outside sales, which is currently salary+commission, but will move into straight commission starting at the beginning of July 2013. I have been in this position since July 2012. I have competition from several direct manufacturing sales reps, large distributors, and local distributors. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each:

Direct Advantages: Immediate knowledge of new technology, no middle man mark up, one shipping bill (paid by manufacturer or buyer of goods), access to larger range of non-commodity items, control inventory, have access to many distributors that can effectively sell their goods which increases market share, and set prices of commodity they manufacture.

Direct disadvantages: Typically have 1-3 sales reps per region (i.e. southeast, mid-atlantic, northeast, etc.) limiting the number of accounts they can successfully manage/cold-call, lack physical customer service or physical technical service available to or affordable for smaller users or altogether, are sometimes not trustworthy because they will go in behind their distributors that sell their commodity to one account in large quantities (i.e. they missed a big account, and have found out about it through a distributor selling their particular product) which leads to the distributor not selling their product anymore, have too many distributors selling the product ultimately driving the set price down through deviations, possibly rely on distributors to actually sell the product, and competition from other direct sources.

Large distributor advantages: have access to other commodities that go hand in hand with other manufacturers (poor example- grocery stores sell milk as well as cereal), get direct pricing, many locations regionally or nationally easing the shipping burden of buyers with multiple locations, personal service either customer or technical, many sales reps that are able to cover a broader territory, access to multiple manufacturers of the same commodity allowing to keep prices in check, service programs that smaller companies can't offer and direct providers can't match in price or value, and experts of many many commodities as opposed to one or a few.

Large distributor disadvantages: smaller local distributors creating price wars (think Michael Scott Paper Co vs Dunder-Mifflin), direct mfg's going in behind and stealing business, limited access to all of the mfg's (you won't find Harris Teeter name brands in Food Lion and visa versa), can't truly set prices because it's based on both supply and demand, territory management, and tough growth prospects in slower economies (this is true for direct as well really)

Local distributor advantages: Typically a good ol' boy setting where the seller and the buyer know each other for years (this does happen at all levels, but mostly at the local level), local folks are right down the street and can be used in emergencies, if the local guy buys at high enough volumes then there is no shipping charge to the end user, and access to both direct mfg's and large distributors.

Local distributor disadvantages: easily beaten in price, array of commodities, array of technology, lack of trained staff, low cash flow, etc etc etc.

This is what I have noticed in my six months, I am sure there are plenty more that need mentioning. The way I am setting myself apart as a sales person is this: I go after the big accounts right now while I am new. The big accounts, if I land them, will take care of me while I am new and building a customer base. The money made off of those allows me to focus free time on smaller accounts that get me higher margins. I build up big accounts, I would like to have 5-10 of these, then get 20-30 medium accounts. If I lose 1 or 2 big accounts, the 20-30 medium accounts keep me afloat while I go after new big accounts. I don't really waste time on small accounts simply because they basically pay for breakfast or something really small.

I will say this, if you can't get a big account in the first 6-8 months (assuming you have cash flow that you can ride this long) you could be in a world of trouble. If you can get one, it will really make going after the others a lot more enjoyable and less stressful. It's simply just very exhausting wasting any time on anything other than big accounts in the very beginning. You work just as hard on the medium sized accounts and see 1/3 to 1/36 of the money in my situation.

If you have any other questions, you can PM me. I hope this helps in the slightest!
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around