Art God

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:00 pm

Sure that’s not a Malleus?

I kid. Looks nice.
just a foil for me today, thanks
noweyesee
Art Expert

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:21 pm

These posters have been faked to death, get someone to authenticate it, no one will pay top dollar without something like that.
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm

There are different galleries that specialize in vintage posters. You might have better luck talking to someone someone who specializes in this type of art.
https://www.chisholm-poster.com
This dude is on Antiques Roadshow from time to time.
https://www.swanngalleries.com
They have an auction that has Mucha's in it this month.

Use your computer, do a little homework and figure it out. Maybe you can find an expert close to where you live. Call them and pick their brains. If they think they are going to get a chance to either buy or sell your poster, that is how they make a living.

If I was in possession of a poster like that, I would be start by not getting my hopes up. Mucha was a popular artist and there are no doubt commercial reproductions of his work. Even if it is an old reprint, it is still a reprint. While popular artists here like Malleus and Chuck Sperry draw inspiration from artists like Mucha, that doesn't mean that the average poster collector on this forum is going to make you an offer for your print.

You said you wanted to avoid an auction house. Good luck with that. People that collect Mucha and similar art are a small segment of art buyers. If they are dropping the kind of value you are ascribing to this poster, an auction house can help authenticate the print and accurately detail the condition. This is critical for a piece of paper could be 100 years old at this point if original.

Have fun and good luck.
ImageX5
solepole
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:53 pm

jpicken wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm
There are different galleries that specialize in vintage posters. You might have better luck talking to someone someone who specializes in this type of art.
https://www.chisholm-poster.com
This dude is on Antiques Roadshow from time to time.
https://www.swanngalleries.com
They have an auction that has Mucha's in it this month.

Use your computer, do a little homework and figure it out. Maybe you can find an expert close to where you live. Call them and pick their brains. If they think they are going to get a chance to either buy or sell your poster, that is how they make a living.

If I was in possession of a poster like that, I would be start by not getting my hopes up. Mucha was a popular artist and there are no doubt commercial reproductions of his work. Even if it is an old reprint, it is still a reprint. While popular artists here like Malleus and Chuck Sperry draw inspiration from artists like Mucha, that doesn't mean that the average poster collector on this forum is going to make you an offer for your print.

You said you wanted to avoid an auction house. Good luck with that. People that collect Mucha and similar art are a small segment of art buyers. If they are dropping the kind of value you are ascribing to this poster, an auction house can help authenticate the print and accurately detail the condition. This is critical for a piece of paper could be 100 years old at this point if original.

Have fun and good luck.
I appreciate all of that! It may very likely be an early reproduction. Trying my best to find someone to help authenticate. I did most of the research I could do on the interwebs, which is why I figured I’d pick your smart brains at this point.
Thanks again for all the help!
GreenMt
Art Expert

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm

I would reach out to Jack Rennert in NYC
I believe he did a Mucha catalogue raisonne