Bruce Yan-The Official Thread!

General art-related discussion.
bruceyan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Ilja wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say hello..
My Totoro is flattening, I will buy frames for my Leon and Spiderhands tomorrow, and the Taxi piece will be on it's way when Hero Complex Gallery is ready to ship Drake's Jen Yu print.

Btw.. go grab Yan's Taxi Driver piece "Travis" right here.. http://www.herocomplexgallery.com/colle ... cts/travis

bruceyan wrote:
Next poster events for me will be G1988 "Is This Thing On?" show (I will have a print at this show) and Wondercon! Who's going?

You should work something out with Bottleneck Gallery for the "When the lights go out" show... having the Totoro and Monsters Inc. in mind, I think you would be perfect for the show.
I'm working on a piece for the Bottleneck show, but not sure if I'll actually finish in time. They will have the print for sale at some point though, even if it's just an online drop.
simplyrob
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am

so far i have two Yan prints! hope to add more! you're the bees knees, Bruce!
Ilja
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:08 am

bruceyan wrote:
Ilja wrote:
bruceyan wrote:
Next poster events for me will be G1988 "Is This Thing On?" show (I will have a print at this show) and Wondercon! Who's going?

You should work something out with Bottleneck Gallery for the "When the lights go out" show... having the Totoro and Monsters Inc. in mind, I think you would be perfect for the show.
I'm working on a piece for the Bottleneck show, but not sure if I'll actually finish in time. They will have the print for sale at some point though, even if it's just an online drop.
Wuhue :clap:
simplyrob
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Bruce, you working on Photoshop, Illustrator, both, or something entirely different? just curious. I'm in the process of mastering Photoshop.
bruceyan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 pm

simplyrob wrote:Bruce, you working on Photoshop, Illustrator, both, or something entirely different? just curious. I'm in the process of mastering Photoshop.
I work entirely in Illustrator for my print work. I have considered Photoshop for future work only to achieve certain textures, but haven't made that jump yet. One of the reasons i like working in Illustrator is it allows me to scale and rescale elements in my work without losing any resolution.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 am

sidewaysscott wrote:
jimbobiii wrote:I needs his cat bus print
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
simplyrob
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 am

bruceyan wrote:One of the reasons i like working in Illustrator is it allows me to scale and rescale elements in my work without losing any resolution.
granted, I'm still learning Photoshop, but, i think this is possible but making elements "smart objects" and rendering them. I've worked on a few projects and have used that. you can still add "smart" filters and effects too. again, still learning. thanks, Bruce!
bruceyan
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:43 am

simplyrob wrote:
bruceyan wrote:One of the reasons i like working in Illustrator is it allows me to scale and rescale elements in my work without losing any resolution.
granted, I'm still learning Photoshop, but, i think this is possible but making elements "smart objects" and rendering them. I've worked on a few projects and have used that. you can still add "smart" filters and effects too. again, still learning. thanks, Bruce!
If the smart objects are not originally vector objects you will still lose resolution if you scale them up.
time
Art Expert

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 am

bruceyan wrote:
Ilja wrote:Just wanted to stop by and say hello..
My Totoro is flattening, I will buy frames for my Leon and Spiderhands tomorrow, and the Taxi piece will be on it's way when Hero Complex Gallery is ready to ship Drake's Jen Yu print.

Btw.. go grab Yan's Taxi Driver piece "Travis" right here.. http://www.herocomplexgallery.com/colle ... cts/travis

bruceyan wrote:

Is the G1988 piece GID??? :) Looking forward to it!
middayshadows
Art Expert

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 am

I'm looking forward to that G1988 Is This Thing On piece too.

Congrats on the good work Bruce!
jampar5000
Art Expert

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 am

Loving your work Mr Yan, and great to see you posting on here as well. Look forward to seeing your next few pieces.
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
jampar5000
Art Expert

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 am

+1 for mailing list as well :)
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
bruceyan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 am

FINISHED! Now it's all up to the printer. Fingers crossed. Heading to Cali tomorrow for Wondercon/Disneyland/Gallery 1988 Opening. Hope to see some of you there.

dylansdad
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am

Hmm. What is that?

And did I miss the Totoro APs? My daughter wants that one.
bruceyan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 am

dylansdad wrote:Hmm. What is that?

And did I miss the Totoro APs? My daughter wants that one.
You have not missed any AP releases. I have sold zero AP prints to date. They will go on sale some time in the future when I have the time and the appropriate shipping materials for safe transport. I will likely announce all AP sales here and through Twitter (bruceyan). :)