Where are they now? Great poster artists who have vanished

General art-related discussion.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 am

This is a thread dedicated to the poster artists who are legends (or were at least once on their way to being greats) and have unceremoniously dropped out of sight.

My list:
Mike King (A gig poster god who hasn't produced anything in ages. He used to be one of the most prolific gig poster artists. He has created some classics. I miss his work. His site is still up, but no new work.)
Guy Burwell
Uncle Carlie
Tara McPherson
TAZ
Leia Bell

Any idea where they have gone? what they're up to?
Can you think of any others?
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:17 am

Seems like Tara has kind of graduated from gigposters to fine art (plus running a gallery). She's also one of the guests of honor at Spectrum live this year.

Didn't guy burwell just have a gallery show recently (or maybe it was part of a group show?). Seems like I saw something about that but I can't remember the info now.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Aphex139
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

Burwell's still putting stuff out, just not as much and for a seemingly select few bands (Eric Church, etc.)
ImageImageImageImage
sasquatch
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah, that bums me out. He's fantastic. Anyone know what's up with Mike King? And what happened to TAZ?
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 pm

Pretty sure Mike King still shows up to the occasional Flatstock.

Leia Bell runs a studio Signed and Numbered with her husband in Salt Lake City. Not sure if she's still producing prints???
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:41 pm

Tara has a solo show at the jonathan levine in October 2013, did a pearl jam poster in 2012 and released several art print, some of which were from her line of beer bottle labels, and she had a baby. so seems like a pretty full 2012
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Mike King just created 2 or 3 prints for a Ben Harper solo tour last year.

I think I added some to database
mmmm Beer :pint:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm

It's not necessarily the artists that have vanished as much as the gigs. Who's regularly commissioning gig posters these days other than the usual suspects (dmb, pj, phish, panic, etc)? Ever since dave, jawn eh, and mitch moved on the landscape has been drying up. The black keys are about the only band holding it together.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Aphex139
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:54 pm

True, many bands are opting to do an all-inclusive tour poster that might as well be a t-shirt, rather than a poster for each stop.
ImageImageImageImage
Kdh12
Art Freak

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Ward Sutton has moved on as well

I think he is still working as a visual artist but not doing gig posters. It would be nice to see Ames or PJ bring him back in.
mmmm Beer :pint:
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:00 pm

As soon as I saw the topic I immediately thought of TAZ. He/they did some great stuff back in the 90s.

Just looked him (Jim Evans) up on Wikipedia. According to the internet:
Evans is currently residing in Malibu with his wife and business partner Nancy. He is the Executive Creative Director and owner of Division 13 Design Group, a web-based design firm specializing in the collaboration of art and technology. With recent clients like Sony Pictures, DreamWorks Animation, Lionsgate, Fox, Universal, and Paramount, he does web sites and viral marketing campaigns for films like Kung Fu Panda 1&2, Madagascar 1&3, Hellboy, Shrek, Ice Age 3&4, the SAW series, and recently, Real Steel, In Time, and Rise of the Guardians.
mylastexit
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Anyone know what's up with Mike Munter? Still hoping that Pelican 2nd edition happens...
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm

sasquatch wrote:This is a thread dedicated to the poster artists who are legends (or were at least once on their way to being greats) and have unceremoniously dropped out of sight.

My list:
Mike King (A gig poster god who hasn't produced anything in ages. He used to be one of the most prolific gig poster artists. He has created some classics. I miss his work. His site is still up, but no new work.)
Guy Burwell
Uncle Carlie
Tara McPherson
TAZ
Leia Bell

Any idea where they have gone? what they're up to?
Can you think of any others?
Mike King and Guy both still do stuff regularly, just as people have noted it appears to be for a few select bands. Uncle Charlie still puts out LOTS of stuff (check HOB Dallas and Houston mostly) and if I'm not mistaken recently opened his own print shop in that vicinity as well. Tara's been covered above. TAZ has been off the radar for some time - since before 2000 if I recall right. A very occasional piece - about as much as Derek Hess does these days. And Leia does still do (and sells out) of her art prints in her signature style - I suspect those just pay a whole lot better than her old gigposters ever did.
I think it's more a symptom too that these folks have found their way to better (paying) gigs and who wouldn't take that route more often than not? You take the projects that appeal to you on the gigposter route - like Tara's PJ print - but other than that, your life is keeping your busy while in a home with food on the table? More power to you!
Tra la la la la...
aldo
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:Tara has a solo show at the jonathan levine in October 2013, did a pearl jam poster in 2012 and released several art print, some of which were from her line of beer bottle labels, and she had a baby. so seems like a pretty full 2012
I think her apartment just burned down in nyc too while she was in vacation :-( hopefully this doesn't set her solo show back.
downtown
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Deuce Seven vanishing from the face of the earth is a big mystery.