The non-poster/print art of Aaron Horkey

General art-related discussion.
xjmjx
Art Expert
Posts: 4093
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
User avatar
SurfingJeff
Art Expert
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Contact:

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:33 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
I think I may have been responsible for a bit of misinformation with my blog post on this (which is where the picture comes from). As I now understand it, Aaron's only contribution is the lettering on the vellum cover which comes with the purple marble vinyl. The real credit for the awesome album cover work should go to Wes Winship.
xjmjx wrote:Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
Damn - another mistake on my part. According to the discogs listing, there are actually 100 copies with the vellum cover - 50 with black vinyl, 50 with purple vinyl. However, most of the black/puple vinyl run does NOT have a vellum cover.
T.H.C.
User avatar
ConstantStruggle
Art Expert
Posts: 1862
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 am
Location: ARIZONA

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:44 pm

SurfingJeff wrote:
SurfingJeff wrote:
I think I may have been responsible for a bit of misinformation with my blog post on this (which is where the picture comes from). As I now understand it, Aaron's only contribution is the lettering on the vellum cover which comes with the purple marble vinyl. The real credit for the awesome album cover work should go to Wes Winship.
xjmjx wrote:Hey SJ, I knew what you were getting at, I knew it was a collab, because of the way it's done and put together, it's a really cool package. You say it's only for the purple and not for the black (and that's only limited to 50 too, correct?)?
Damn - another mistake on my part. According to the discogs listing, there are actually 100 copies with the vellum cover - 50 with black vinyl, 50 with purple vinyl. However, most of the black/puple vinyl run does NOT have a vellum cover.
I have the purple and its just on a silkscreened cover with no vellum, the lettering/waves are right on the cover.
burritos > Life
User avatar
Stingers
Art Expert
Posts: 4439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: London : England

Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:01 pm

I think the Velum cover was via the pre order, I used to have a purple version with a Velum cover ... I know that the Black vinyl version is the rarest.
User avatar
deancc
Art Expert
Posts: 3387
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Stingers wrote:I think the Velum cover was via the pre order, I used to have a purple version with a Velum cover ... I know that the Black vinyl version is the rarest.
I have the purple vinyl with vellum cover. Can't remember if it was pre-order or not. So long ago.
User avatar
bahns47
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:49 pm
Location: Chiberia

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:04 am

I've held on to this random cassette I bought at radio station sidewalk sale back in the day in MPLS... Was dusting off some of my old prints when it finally dawned on me to check to see if the cassette artwork was done by Abuse. Sure 'nuff!

Image

Image

Not the most striking piece of his late 90s work but thought it still may be of interest to some of the Horkey heads out there.
User avatar
mistersmith
Art Freak
Posts: 13557
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 am
Location: SF, CA

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 am

That's awesome, cool find!
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
User avatar
simianfever
Art Expert
Posts: 2225
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am
Location: CT

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:27 am

Very cool find. Thanks for posting. There is a loose freedom to some of his earlier work that is refreshing to see now and then. Hope that doesn't sound like any kind of indictment of his current output which I obviously love.
User avatar
SurfingJeff
Art Expert
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Contact:

Fri May 08, 2015 1:41 pm

You guys think this sticker is by Aaron?

Image

I couldn't find it in the DB, but the lettering sure looks like his style.
T.H.C.
User avatar
simianfever
Art Expert
Posts: 2225
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am
Location: CT

Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm

I'd honestly be somewhat surprised if it wasn't.
User avatar
mistersmith
Art Freak
Posts: 13557
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 am
Location: SF, CA

Fri May 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Short of a hidden "AH" in the hatching or something, I'd have to give that a very strong "probably."
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
User avatar
Loobaz
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 am

Fri May 08, 2015 2:14 pm

Yep, it looks like there is a little AH in there - just left of the smaller "Flip" on the right hand side.
User avatar
TheThirdEye
Art Expert
Posts: 4486
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Northern California

Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Image
Image
User avatar
SurfingJeff
Art Expert
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:46 pm
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Contact:

Fri May 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Loobaz wrote:Yep, it looks like there is a little AH in there - just left of the smaller "Flip" on the right hand side.
Nice find! Wonder if it ever appeared on a deck, or just on stickers.
T.H.C.
User avatar
mistersmith
Art Freak
Posts: 13557
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:09 am
Location: SF, CA

Fri May 08, 2015 2:35 pm

How the drymount did I miss that AH! Damn.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Post Reply