Brad Hill's three-dimensional world

General art-related discussion.
Googscarley
Flipper

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 pm

someone post pics of all brads gallery 1988 work so far (i'm too lazy to do it myself)
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Googscarley wrote:someone post pics of all brads gallery 1988 work so far (i'm too lazy to do it myself)
I think they are all in the database. http://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=11811
Image _ Image
Googscarley
Flipper

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm

aibohphobia wrote:
Googscarley wrote:someone post pics of all brads gallery 1988 work so far (i'm too lazy to do it myself)
I think they are all in the database. http://expressobeans.com/public/search.php?artist=11811
wow thanks i didn't know his stuff was added! great :pint:
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow, Brad is more prolific than I thought. Can't wait to see his new stuff!
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
acidfree
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am

Brad will be participating in Bottleneck Gallery's next exhibit titled "Get a Room. A Tribute to the Greatest Couples of Our Time"
Can't wait to see what he comes up with!

aibohphobia
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Since Brad posted these on Tumblr they might as well be here!

Image _ Image
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm

i would be all over one of these generally speaking, have never been early enough to grab one, but Super just isnt doing it for me (just dont know the movie at all).
SirCreate
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:00 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:i would be all over one of these generally speaking, have never been early enough to grab one, but Super just isnt doing it for me (just dont know the movie at all).
Understandable. I knew going into it that Super wouldn't be that well-known of a movie. The characters I tend to enjoy doing the most are the more absurd ones just because you don't get to see them done that often. I ran the idea of doing Super by the gallery first, and Joe was awesome and told me to do whatever I wanted, so I couldn't wait to do this! Hopefully some fans of the film will get a kick out of it. That's kind of my motto with every piece.
acidfree
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 pm

This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance. What is the texture of the finished product like? Is it ceramic? Does it require special care such as stay away from heat etc...
SirCreate
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:32 pm

acidfree wrote:This may be a dumb question so I apologize in advance. What is the texture of the finished product like? Is it ceramic? Does it require special care such as stay away from heat etc...
It's acrylic paint on polymer clay. Just don't get it wet, and you should be okay. I have yet to run into any problems with my older pieces done the same way.
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 pm

SirCreate wrote:
maddoghoek100 wrote:i would be all over one of these generally speaking, have never been early enough to grab one, but Super just isnt doing it for me (just dont know the movie at all).
Understandable. I knew going into it that Super wouldn't be that well-known of a movie. The characters I tend to enjoy doing the most are the more absurd ones just because you don't get to see them done that often. I ran the idea of doing Super by the gallery first, and Joe was awesome and told me to do whatever I wanted, so I couldn't wait to do this! Hopefully some fans of the film will get a kick out of it. That's kind of my motto with every piece.
I dig the piece. I love the movie but would have really liked to see a bloody wrench!

Brad. The last 3 pieces you've done ("It's Showtime", "Buy New Suits", and "In Between the Panels") have not had the block bases that most of your other works have. Do you think we will still see the block base pieces in the future?

Also I have to say I really like the texture and look of the base. Is that the same 3-D affect you used for "A Dull Boy"?

And last thing, how does this compare in size to the other figures. Are the heads roughly the same as the other pieces?

Thanks!
Image _ Image
SirCreate
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

aibohphobia wrote:
SirCreate wrote:
I dig the piece. I love the movie but would have really liked to see a bloody wrench!

Brad. The last 3 pieces you've done ("It's Showtime", "Buy New Suits", and "In Between the Panels") have not had the block bases that most of your other works have. Do you think we will still see the block base pieces in the future?

Also I have to say I really like the texture and look of the base. Is that the same 3-D affect you used for "A Dull Boy"?

And last thing, how does this compare in size to the other figures. Are the heads roughly the same as the other pieces?

Thanks!
Oh, there will definitely be more block bases coming, it's just a pain to find relevant ones, as you know. That and sometimes the piece just works better without it. I wanted to incorporate one in The Beetlejuice piece, but the idea of him floating over the grave was too cool to pass up. Not to worry though, my initial plan with all pieces is to find a way to get them on bases.

I thought about adding the wrench, but I didn't feel he really needed it since the piece is based more around the idea of "In Between the Panels". Nothing is going on here. No threat, no hazard, just waiting.

And the base is all paint, with exception to the cardboard they are on. That is raised up and sculpted just a bit. The back wall was also sculpted. For "A Dull Boy" that base was all 3D printed, then painted.

Heads should be the same size. Now that most of my old pieces are out of my hands, I don't have anything to compare them to, but I haven't toyed with that aspect at all. Even though the Super pieces are sitting, their height off the base should be the same as the figures that are standing.
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:41 pm

This just makes me more excited to get mine... :drool: :drool: :drool:
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
aibohphobia
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:59 pm

A couple Brad Hill's in the wild that I saw while looking at recent frame up photos. Hope the owners don't mind a re-post.

Image _ Image
acidfree
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 pm

This is still my all time favorite. Whoever owns this is insanely lucky!