Art advice wanted

General art-related discussion.
fitz
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:00 am

Hello.

Happy New Year.

I am hoping someone can help with what are hopefully some very simple questions.

I have been inspired by some of the art I have seen on here to pick up my pen and have a go at drawing some stuff for the first time in an age.

Anyway, I also wanted to try out all the various programs which are available and I picked up a cheap graphics tablet and pen. What I have found though when I try to draw with them is (i) its bloody hard though I am assuming its a practice thing, and (ii) the lines always seem to look rough, blocky and pixelated.

If you wanted to have a bash at producing something that looked like a DD or a Stout style poster (only, obviously, much much worse) then what programs do those guys use to produce their artwork?

I am assuming that they start with pencil and then scan in the drawing (as a jpeg?) and use that to apply the inks?

Any pointers to good process videos or advice as to programs to try would be greatly appreciated - after all if there is one thing that the internet needs its more poorly executed, derivative fan artwork!

Thanks in advance. :notworthy:
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:20 am

Just use Photoshop like MBW.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:22 am

mrkyuss wrote:Just use Photoshop like MBW's interns.
Fixed
Image Image Image
rghayati
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 pm

What programs do you have? Software like Photoshop can be pretty expensive, so it might be better to develop your methods to work with your means, as it were. Keep in mind too that, for all its ubiquity (and power), Photoshop is far from the only option for those looking to create art.
fitz
Art Expert

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 pm

rghayati wrote:What programs do you have? Software like Photoshop can be pretty expensive, so it might be better to develop your methods to work with your means, as it were. Keep in mind too that, for all its ubiquity (and power), Photoshop is far from the only option for those looking to create art.
I got Art Rage Pro free with the tablet. I also have Gimp 2.0 to use in place of photoshop and Inkscape (a good free alternative to Illustrator), I also downloaded the free version of Sketchbook Pro.

I have mostly been using Art Rage but just find when I try to draw with the ink pen mode it appears very blocky/pixelated.
rghayati
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 pm

fitz wrote:
rghayati wrote:What programs do you have? Software like Photoshop can be pretty expensive, so it might be better to develop your methods to work with your means, as it were. Keep in mind too that, for all its ubiquity (and power), Photoshop is far from the only option for those looking to create art.
I got Art Rage Pro free with the tablet. I also have Gimp 2.0 to use in place of photoshop and Inkscape (a good free alternative to Illustrator), I also downloaded the free version of Sketchbook Pro.

I have mostly been using Art Rage but just find when I try to draw with the ink pen mode it appears very blocky/pixelated.
I don't know much about Art Rage Pro, but GIMP is a bleak nightmare that you should ignore forever. Practice inking in the trial version of Paint Tool Sai, maybe, and get to know the drivers for your tablet's connection to your computer. While it's true that individual programs typically have their own suites of settings for tablet input, often adjusting things like pen/click pressure on the master level can make a huge difference, and finding and practicing with an overall setting that works for you is important. I'm not sure what tablet---or operating system---you have, but that'd be my first step no matter the setup. Also: do as much google research as you can about your hardware to see if other people have general advice, or if there are universal glitches or bugs you'll have to adjust for (the latter was a big mystery for me when I first installed the tablet I use... until I discovered that my problem wasn't just with my machine in particular).
DMSrabbit
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

This may be too simple of an answer, but.. Draw it/sketch it on paper, then scan it, then correct/alter it (or at least sketch the reference material.) I think its easier to actually have a pen or pencil in my hand, then auto-correct on the computer. I have alot more respect for artists like Kevin Tong, who can actually sketch things, AND then use photoshop/illustrator to alter them. Also, do you guys really pay for programs anymore? I have every single version of Photoshop, and Illustrator, and I didn't pay a dime!

Torrents.. nuff said..
Last edited by DMSrabbit on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virtualmert
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:49 pm

I know Mr. Kevin Tong uses Illustrator from a lot of his process vids. I use it on a daily basis, easy to learn, hard to master IMO.

Also, try the forums over here http://gigposters.com/ a lot more art creation info.
:cautiously removes pants:
shekou
New User

Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:16 am

I'm brand new to digital art . I've been making these posters on Illustrator ...
I have a XP-Pen Deco Pro graphics tablet (size medium) that I use to sketch directly into Illustrator.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:15 am

Newsprint vine charcoal and a eraser to start . Remember you will toss out alot so don't be precious . Get a cheap sketchbook practice drawing 5 things as they are then alternate with 5 things of flights of fancy . For the basics of drawing ....set up little still lifes draw. Later when you tackle the figure use sports pics for reference and try to draw where the bones are
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:02 pm

AFFINITY Photo and Designer is a pretty complete package and at MUCH less cost - just a one-off payment with free updates and they are always updating it with useful features. I see it as the best alternative on the market to Adobe CC right now.

But obviously that won't make great art alone. I'm a graphic designer and i've only dabbled in illustration myself so if I was going about it I would scan in line art and colour it digitally but I guess it depends on what style you are going for. Greg Ruth for instance just appears to scan fully pencilled artwork and add little bits of colour digitally, keeping the pencil rendering front and centre. Other artists will sketch a design and then recreate the linework from scratch digitally AND colour it digitally. Others might just jump straight into the digital space and paint a composition until it's done. You need to find what works for you.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:07 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
I would scan in line art and colour it digitally
^^ I agree. I'm a self-taught amateur. I was determined to learn how to draw using vectors because that's what laser cutters require for cutting. Our local hacker space has a laser cutter and is the coolest thing EVER.
lisa987
New User

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:27 am

IWish wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:07 pm
jvwoodford wrote:
I would scan in line art and colour it digitally
^^ I agree. I'm a self-taught amateur. I was determined to learn how to draw using vectors because that's what laser cutters require for cutting. Our local hackerspace has a laser cutter and is the coolest thing EVER.
I love laser engraving too! It's so awesome. I am just 12 but really thinking about pursuing a career in it. That's the greatest thing about this era, we can make a career out of anything we want thanks to the internet.