James Jean News and Releases

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
RupertPupkin
Art Expert
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Tue May 05, 2015 6:26 pm

mrwak wrote:
RupertPupkin wrote: Hmmm, shipping is $67 to the UK for the box edition. Anyone willing to pick one up for me and then ship it on..?
I'll send funds in advance, obviously!
Is it a much cheaper option? Just wondering. Shipping to France is $55, somehow.
Not sure if the shipping will prove any cheaper in the end, but when you factor in the savings on import fees then it definitely makes it worthwhile.
User avatar
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Tue May 05, 2015 6:33 pm

James isn't trying to pull a fast one on anybody internationally. The book weights just over 5lbs [2.25kg]

Yes, it really costs $45-50 to ship it to France. And yes, it costs 55-60 to ship to the UK. You won't save anything by shipping it to someone in the US first since that is the price for anyone who is no a large high volume business to ship something of this weight. I live in Southern Calfornia where James (and his warehouse) is based out off. I still get charged $15 for shipping + $12 in sales tax since I'm a CA resident. I'm as close to the source as it gets. Shipping is still $15 anywhere else in the states.
Last edited by 666ways2love on Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dsanacore
Art Expert
Posts: 6408
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 pm
Location: USA

Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 pm

666ways2love wrote:James isn't trying to pull a fast one on anybody internationally.

Yes, it really costs $45-50 to ship it to France. And yes, it costs 55-60 to ship to the UK. You won't save anything by shipping it to someone in the US first since that is the price for anyone who is no a large high volume business to ship something of this weight. I live in Southern Calfornia where James (and his warehouse) is based out off. I still get charged $15 for shipping + $12 in sales tax since I'm a CA resident. I'm as close to the source as it gets. Shipping is still $15 anywhere else in the states.

Sounds like he's getting bad quotes or isn't using the most efficient carrier. Shipping an item that is 2ish pounds with CA should only be about $6. Shipping something that weight to France should only be about $35-$40 tops. That's USPS priority mail. Granted, that's just postage. That doesn't include labor and packaging/material costs.
Image Image
User avatar
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm

The book is just over 5lbs
User avatar
RupertPupkin
Art Expert
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Tue May 05, 2015 7:44 pm

666ways2love wrote:You won't save anything by shipping it to someone in the US first
I will if they mark the package that they send on to me at a low value. It will save me over $50 in import fees/taxes.
User avatar
dsanacore
Art Expert
Posts: 6408
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 pm
Location: USA

Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 pm

666ways2love wrote:The book is just over 5lbs
That's a helluva book! Shipping quotes seem a lot more accurate now :P
Image Image
User avatar
Celsius
Flipper
Posts: 8277
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California (was in Yokohama, Japan)

Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:
666ways2love wrote:You won't save anything by shipping it to someone in the US first
I will if they mark the package that they send on to me at a low value. It will save me over $50 in import fees/taxes.
That's illegal. You're asking someone to commit a crime so you can save on some import fees? Come on man.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
User avatar
soupysound
EB Trainee
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 pm

applehead wrote:
sistinas wrote:Got the box set, boy did those fly out fast, glad I didn't spend too long thinking it over!
all gone? man thought id have some time. last i checked there were 200+ left. great looking book. his stuff is always high quality.
glad it sold out. no longer tempted. was contemplating pulling the trigger this morning.
Image
User avatar
666ways2love
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 pm

Tue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Pretty sure 50 USD wont really trigger any customs fees. And if there are, certainly not $50 worth.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53090
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

drymounting foreigners.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT
Posts: 1727
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:00 am

Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

im going to assume the box the book comes in will be larger than a book, so you gotta think about dimensions of a larger box, plus the weight, plus the insured value.

asking an artist to declare a low value is asking them to assume all risk and responsibility for anything happening to it. insurance is entirely on the shipper, so if you insure a $250 book for $250, but then mark it as a value of $50 on the form (which are often the same label in the age of internet postage), when and if it gets damaged that will negate the $250 insurance claim, they PO will pay out the customs listed value at best. and they still have to resend you a new print on their dime. its not a great thing to ask someone, unless youre willing to accept its loss/damage.
User avatar
RupertPupkin
Art Expert
Posts: 6557
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 am

666ways2love wrote:Pretty sure 50 USD wont really trigger any customs fees. And if there are, certainly not $50 worth.
You're incorrect. $50 is way above the threshold that will trigger customs fees, especially as they combine the cost of shipping with the cost of the item, so the regular version of the book alone would be classed as a ~$100 item. I was after the boxed version so that would be classed as a $200+ item with shipping. At 20% VAT + an £8 handling fee it would certainly be >$50 in fees.
danieldanger wrote: asking an artist to declare a low value is asking them to assume all risk and responsibility for anything happening to it... its not a great thing to ask someone, unless youre willing to accept its loss/damage.
I'm not asking an artist to do anything, I'm asking a friend to do me a favour, and of course I accept all the risk on my shoulders - it would be unreasonable to do otherwise.
Codeblue wrote:drymounting foreigners.
Kisses x
User avatar
mrwak
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 897
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:22 am
Location: VA

Wed May 06, 2015 4:23 am

Thanks for all inputs; I had it shipped to Australia (same price than France), no import taxes under 1K. Glad I ordered before going to work this morning, didn't think it'd sell out that fast.
finneganm wrote: Come see Al lien on Blurgday, Januanerrry 28nd! In spaces some people can smell you yelling.
User avatar
fitz
Art Expert
Posts: 6900
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:10 am

Wed May 06, 2015 4:43 am

danieldanger wrote:im going to assume the box the book comes in will be larger than a book, so you gotta think about dimensions of a larger box, plus the weight, plus the insured value.

asking an artist to declare a low value is asking them to assume all risk and responsibility for anything happening to it. insurance is entirely on the shipper, so if you insure a $250 book for $250, but then mark it as a value of $50 on the form (which are often the same label in the age of internet postage), when and if it gets damaged that will negate the $250 insurance claim, they PO will pay out the customs listed value at best. and they still have to resend you a new print on their dime. its not a great thing to ask someone, unless youre willing to accept its loss/damage.
it could be worse - you could do what I did which was a trade - mark it all correctly - have the US post office lose the tube and then have them refuse to reimburse you for the prints current value only its original purchase price (about 15% of the current value) :hanging:

gratz to those that scored but I just couldnt ever justify to myself spending that much on a book to sit on a shelf (though I realise its no worse than buying things to sit in a file :lol: )
User avatar
soupysound
EB Trainee
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 am

RupertPupkin wrote:You're incorrect. $50 is way above the threshold that will trigger customs fees, especially as they combine the cost of shipping with the cost of the item, so the regular version of the book alone would be classed as a ~$100 item. I was after the boxed version so that would be classed as a $200+ item with shipping. At 20% VAT + an £8 handling fee it would certainly be >$50 in fees.
Image
Image
Post Reply