James Jean News and Releases

General art-related discussion.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:12 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:35 am
with the attached print i do understand the price. but its really just a print release at that point. where the viability of it hangs on just the collector world just looping back to collecting prints. glad you got something you like.
its not though. There are ppl keeping the NFT. Around 1,700.

Personally I think the print is the better choice especially in this market but 1,700 want the NFT instead and now he just opened the door to two groups of collectors.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:22 pm

1700 out of 10k? Oof. Wonder what it woulda been if they'd offered the burn option last year before all the crypto tanking.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
aldo
Art Expert

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:06 pm

acidburn wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
with the attached print i do understand the price. but its really just a print release at that point. where the viability of it hangs on just the collector world just looping back to collecting prints. glad you got something you like.

Personally I think the print is the better choice especially in this market but 1,700 want the NFT instead and now he just opened the door to two groups of collectors.
More like 7500+ still have the NFT and have not exchanged: https://currency.nft.heni.com/burns
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:24 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:22 pm
1700 out of 10k? Oof. Wonder what it woulda been if they'd offered the burn option last year before all the crypto tanking.
the burn option was open for a year. it closes end of this month.

currently only 2,218 have chosen to burn vs the NFT.

jame's project let collector keep the NFT and gave them a 24h window to claim a print of the NFT they held.

it's another medium and i'm happy to see artists exploring it.
plaink
Art Expert

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:43 pm

Most of his collectors don’t burn things, they hoard them. It’s why the crypto chased this market.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:03 am

acidburn wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:

i understand that there is going to be people who just keep the NFTs. just find it interesting that the newest "feature" in these is an emphasis on the print release.

makes the utility of some nfts have an emphasis on a redemption code or voucher. of a ticket to something else.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
plaink
Art Expert

Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:01 am

Potlatch. Get a print, throw a gallery show. Invite your lady. Invite your mom.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:23 am

35mmpaul wrote:
acidburn wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:

i understand that there is going to be people who just keep the NFTs. just find it interesting that the newest "feature" in these is an emphasis on the print release.

makes the utility of some nfts have an emphasis on a redemption code or voucher. of a ticket to something else.
For artists that have that print/traditional art background it's a genius marketing tool to try to bring in their base. It's personally why we like to include prints with some of our statue releases. I know not every print buyer wants a statue but listen here is a free print that you do love as a thank you gift for purchasing this. Many times ppl just want the print.

Look at Michael Reeder. This market right now is at a standstill and I want to say he is like one of the only few projects that I follow that sold out at around $100 in ETH. Nothing against him at all I just didn't think anyone could do that right now in this market. His images are beautiful and judging by Twitter a lot of ppl bought it so they can collect to get the 1/1 print. Thats all that program is about. Mixing in NFTs with his traditional work. Worked out beautiful for that team and shows how there is preference for tangible items as rewards for holding your NFT.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:16 pm

sure but if you are not a statue or nft collector, you are making those collectors buy something they aren't as interested in to get something they actually want.

i guess i have a hard time seeing it as a marketing tool, and more a process to get through in order to get something else.

the volume of that is low so its not a problem or anything. just interesting to see this digital art pieces looping back to making prints to entice the collectors. especially in the current downward turn for crypto and the nft markets.

the michael reeder ones are quite cool, his style backed into the randomly generated pfp projects well. but when its atomized to so many different variations, i'm unsure how that will benefit the aftermarket in the long run. this is just my take on it. and time will tell.

which is the question that sparked this convo. Will a randomly generated image from a hugely popular artist, with thousands and thousands of variations, with a print edition have a healthy aftermarket?

just an interesting supply and demand situation.

good talk everyone.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:08 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:16 pm
sure but if you are not a statue or nft collector, you are making those collectors buy something they aren't as interested in to get something they actually want.

i guess i have a hard time seeing it as a marketing tool, and more a process to get through in order to get something else.

the volume of that is low so its not a problem or anything. just interesting to see this digital art pieces looping back to making prints to entice the collectors. especially in the current downward turn for crypto and the nft markets.

the michael reeder ones are quite cool, his style backed into the randomly generated pfp projects well. but when its atomized to so many different variations, i'm unsure how that will benefit the aftermarket in the long run. this is just my take on it. and time will tell.

which is the question that sparked this convo. Will a randomly generated image from a hugely popular artist, with thousands and thousands of variations, with a print edition have a healthy aftermarket?

just an interesting supply and demand situation.

good talk everyone.
in many of these case i see the NFT as a pass. it creates a link to the collector. it possible to see how the token is moved around and if it's held in the same wallet. and even how many a wallet owns.

for example how outland is doing it. each day you accrue 3 points holding the james jean NFT. you can then redeem these points on future physical purchases.

this is really no different that loyalty points. but the BIG difference is that the blockchain allows the token to be traded without the need for the token issuer to build a marketplace. and this is really huge.

as many people keep saying. its still early. to me it is really interesting to see the small incremental things people are trying to test the waters.

some things will work and some things won't. i personally enjoy being part of it, as i love both tech and art.

one thing we are hoping to do is allow users to redeem an NFT after buying a print. this would be similar to the free print with a statue kind of thing acid mentioned. but after that it's now possible to be like hey this artist is gonna have a OG release or something and if you burn the token you are allowed to buy first. without the token only the print buyers would have that opportunity but with the token, that access is held by the token not the buyer and can also be traded.

i get not everyone likes it or understands it, and thats ok.

oh and ps. james recently hinted he will be having a show in LA soon and his fragment NFT holders will have special access.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:36 pm

So my personal journey on the James Jean NFT path:
He released the coin and it was one of the first NFTs I had bought, it was only like $5 and IMO a great entry point.
By having that coin I was allowed entry into the Slingshot Polystone statue lottery, which I never imagined I would have a shot at owning...but now do.
Then having the coin allowed into the pre-mint on his latest NFT project. Being in the pre-mint I was able to buy it at half the general public price so while the price point was much higher at .5 ETH I was in on the journey.
I got very lucky on the Fragment drop and got one of the chase pieces, so while I was happy with the NFT alone I hit the jackpot and get an original piece of my NFT. This was awesome enough, but now after it sold out he started with the other physical opportunities. These weren't announced in advance so they weren't selling points, just things he is adding to keep people involved in the project. So in the last week I was now able to redeem for a print version as well for only the cost of shipping. So a great James Jean print thats 1/1 for $20! I think we all now where is pricing on prints is and thats a very generous thing for him to add. He seems to only be starting to with teases of Pins and more options to come. I think this is a great way to go with NFTs were its the original art, but then many more opportunities to come down the road.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:28 am

looks like 3668 fragment prints were redeemed. over 50%. pretty awesome.

and yeah the prints were free to redeem. the pins ben mentioned look drymounting ace.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:29 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:36 pm
So my personal journey on the James Jean NFT path:
He released the coin and it was one of the first NFTs I had bought, it was only like $5 and IMO a great entry point.
By having that coin I was allowed entry into the Slingshot Polystone statue lottery, which I never imagined I would have a shot at owning...but now do.
Then having the coin allowed into the pre-mint on his latest NFT project. Being in the pre-mint I was able to buy it at half the general public price so while the price point was much higher at .5 ETH I was in on the journey.
I got very lucky on the Fragment drop and got one of the chase pieces, so while I was happy with the NFT alone I hit the jackpot and get an original piece of my NFT. This was awesome enough, but now after it sold out he started with the other physical opportunities. These weren't announced in advance so they weren't selling points, just things he is adding to keep people involved in the project. So in the last week I was now able to redeem for a print version as well for only the cost of shipping. So a great James Jean print thats 1/1 for $20! I think we all now where is pricing on prints is and thats a very generous thing for him to add. He seems to only be starting to with teases of Pins and more options to come. I think this is a great way to go with NFTs were its the original art, but then many more opportunities to come down the road.
too bad he started on WAX, such a trashy place... but a good way to step his toe into the space and test the waters at a much lower price point for sure.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:41 am

35mmpaul wrote:
acidburn wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:

I was actually way off because I was looking at Opensea and not their marketplace.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:42 am

In the wasteland of the North, there is a dark sea. In it swims a fish of incalculable length. His name is K’un. He transforms into P’eng, an enormous bird with wings that span the sky and create cyclones in their wake. A fisherman, Santiago, rides on top of P’eng and hopes to harpoon something valuable in the swirling northern sea.

Much like the how painting Santiago creates an amalgam of Eastern and Western storytelling and mythology, this new limited edition represents a further innovation in the multi-process prints of James Jean, transforming the lushly embellished print into a hangable object that can be appreciated in all dimensions. In our most complex and technically ambitious edition yet, Santiago features a built in wood frame adorned with intricate raised details that are drawn from the personal hieroglyphics of Jean’s universe. As always, each print and frame is hand assembled with exacting precision, creating a harmonious object that occupies a space between printmaking, painting, and sculpture.

Frame: 16" x 12" x 1"
Print: 15 5/8" x 11 5/8"
Many dimensional details within the image
Detailed and dimensional chop
Signature plate inlaid into the back
Routed keyhole for immediate hanging
Signed by James Jean and numbered
Release date: July 28, 2022
Edition size: 200
Price: $2,500