The Art of Jason Edmiston

General art-related discussion.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:20 pm

I love Jason's work, but stepping away from that, I think offering 3 of the same print to get 1 mystery is kind of lame. If there were 3 different Jasons to buy it would make more sense. Not 3 of the same damn thing in hopes to get maybe a rare variant Jason VORHEES print. Either way, all I want is the Steve McQueen Eyes as a print. Never gonna happen though.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 pm

I thought it was funny because I didn’t buy one (rather three). On the other hand, there would be little he could offer for me to buy 3 to begin with. In fact, one has to be a little drymounting crazy to do that. But go figure. People gonna people.

To print your own “portrait” as a mystery print is trolling at its best though. I literally just laughed out loud while typing the previous sentence.
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm

I’ll bet most of the people who complained about the free mystery eyes are the same people that crashed his site trying to get the last EWAF drop.

Fact is, Jason could (and probably will) start raising the prices of his EWAFs the way they’ve been selling lately. Enjoy the $20 price point while you can.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:28 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:17 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:33 am
Bunch of cry babies. Adding a free "Jason" is clever and hilarious. wahhhhhh I didn't like my FREE print. drymount you.
it was not free. it costs $70 to get one.

Nah. 3 Friday the 13th prints cost $70.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Was it $20 each or 3 for $70? That would make it even better.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:06 pm

3 of the same prints at $20 each, plus shipping = $70
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:42 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
So you're saying the total for three prints is $70?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:48 pm

tenaciousjack wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm
I’ll bet most of the people who complained about the free mystery eyes are the same people that crashed his site trying to get the last EWAF drop.

Fact is, Jason could (and probably will) start raising the prices of his EWAFs the way they’ve been selling lately. Enjoy the $20 price point while you can.
Edmiston alt cangfirmed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:53 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:53 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:

ygolohcysp wrote:
Bunch of cry babies. Adding a free "Jason" is clever and hilarious. wahhhhhh I didn't like my FREE print. drymount you.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Who's on first tho?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

35mmpaul wrote:
jvwoodford wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:07 am
  • When it was revealed (by folks actually receiving their orders) that the mystery EWAF was in fact Jason Edmiston's own EWAF (think he painted the OG a long time ago) people got seriously pissed off that it wasn't the presumed 'Jason (Friday The 13th) themed' print they were hoping for
  • Personally I thought it was funny and the extra 2 EWAF can easily be traded or sold to those that missed out, I think roughly 2000 were sold, something like that. I think 200 of the 'Jason Edmiston's' sold meaning that 200 people (including myself) bought the 3 timed edition prints.
This is the wording on his sales post:

"Feel free to buy as many as you'd like. For every three copies of this print purchased together, receive one bonus FREE MYSTERY JASON EYES print, that will NOT be made available anywhere else!" [his punctuation and captilization]

I think alot of the true fans are confusing people with being 'SERIOUSLY PISSED' with just pointing out that Jason gambled on the mystery aspect of it all, just like the people who purchased it did. And when they were like....'hey, ummmmm seems like you were trying to sell a mystery/variant Friday the 13th Jason print.' instead it was a print of Jason Edmiston himself.

They basically just wanted something related to the thing they bought as its was seemingly worded to be.

the whole 'well you can just trade or sell them' argument doesn't hold alot of weight because the people that you would sell or trade them were the ones bought 3 copies of the jason print.

Jason wanted to bump the numbers up on a timed edition, its a sales tactic, nothing wrong with it. But when the buyers went..."ummm I dont like this', he took it personally and thus the fan group took it personally too.
ygolohcysp wrote:

it just seems such a weird stance for people to go 'oh you dont GET THE JOKE? the thing you bought....its a funny JOKE! lolololol'

Just seems like a weird sales tactic to incentivize people buy something and then troll them on it.

if your goal is to sell more prints in a timed edition it worked. But to create hype and buzz for future mystery/chaser/variant sales, trolling them is an odd tactic that clearly wasn't received well.

there is not a single ISOs on this site for the Friday 13th one, only 2 people are selling them for cost. and the ones that sold on ebay are barely above cost.

the market is flooded with the F13 one. if there were 290 of the Jason prints made, that means that there were 870 F13 prints purchased in order to get that Jason one. So now who is going to buy both of those prints? The supply and demand is a thin margin.

the resale value and collectibility of these things is based on subject matter and the ones that are based off real people rather than pop culture figures don't sell as high because there isn't as much of a fanbase with them.

like i get it that jason might be a little hurt by it because its a print of himself and people are going 'nope. thats not what i wanted'

but as noted he took a gamble in doing it the way he did, as did the buyers. and using 'mystery' to incentivize sales in this hobby rarely turns out well.
If you can't sell it (for cost, why do you have to make a profit?) then give one to your friend as a gift. Give another one to a family member as a gift. Spread the art, spread the love, stop thinking about it so much.

If you were chasing some ZOMG print and caught in the hype for an extra $40 and can't see the funny side of all this then...I don't know don't do it again? I don't know what else to say.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm

for once, i agree with paul. i still love 'mother!' tho
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

If you can't sell it (for cost, why do you have to make a profit?) then give one to your friend as a gift. Give another one to a family member as a gift. Spread the art, spread the love, stop thinking about it so much.

If you were chasing some ZOMG print and caught in the hype for an extra $40 and can't see the funny side of all this then...I don't know don't do it again? I don't know what else to say.
Spread the art love? I mean I could give my mom a Friday the 13th print, but she already bought three copies to get the mystery print.

Jason himself noted the importance in the aftermarket of his prints to justify the selling of multiples. And is the inherent idea around doing a chaser/mystery print. So talk to him about that.

The sale was designed for fans to chase a ZOMG hype mystery print. Of hype he created. So to pawn the fault on to the fans who bought into it is obfuscating the simple issues people had with it.

and you think i bought this? no. i dont collect friday the 13th art, and again like everyone who read the sales post, i didn't want to buy x3 F13 prints to potentially get another F13 print.

i've been buying from Jason for years and think he's a very smart at forging his own space and cultivating fans and collectors. He also knows the importance of an aftermarket and if his prints are valuable later, more people will buy them now. Nothing wrong with trying to spur that market too.

Im not mad at him for the way he went about this. I just don't agree with the tru fans who think that the issue here is that people should just deal with it and accept the FUNNY JOKE and enjoy your 3 other prints and 'give them away' to spread the love.

Its really simple, if it had been a print related to Friday the 13th, people wouldn't really have taken issue. thats all i have to say. i'll stop spamming the thread about it.

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm
for once, i agree with paul. i still love 'mother!' tho
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Fair points, agree to disagree at this point. But you REALLY have been digging into and thinking about this way too much.