Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:16 pm

The drive is bad. It may have sold out fast on the hype of his last few prints, but in 6 months they will be flooding the market for anyone that is really wanting this...
sidewaysscott
Art God

Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:23 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
The drive is bad. It may have sold out fast on the hype of his last few prints, but in 6 months they will be flooding the market for anyone that is really wanting this...
I bet less than 6 months.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
tranito
Art Expert

Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:54 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
They won't be as rare/hard to find as runs of 100 that were available in person only. That's stating the obvious. Usual flood and availability (as with most online releases with bigger editions) is to be expected when flippers will get them in hands, then it'll be just fine on the long run. For sure didn't need Shawshank or any sort of previous hype to sell out quick. It's still Durieux for Drive and although it's not for everyone apparently (so weren't his Jaws or Die Hard which were highly criticized upon release), a quick sell out was guaranteed for this, especially with so many of them being pre-sold already before the onsale.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:10 pm

tranito wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:21 am

Did you count the stories on the building? I hear a couple are missing on the posters.. trash!
Die Hard came first to mind, but I could have brought up his Rear Window and the infamous ''impossible'' reflection in the open window or about any Durieux poster that features something he twisted or something that does not appear that way in the movie or something that can't even exist in real life. You get the idea. He makes conscious decisions for his posters to work conceptually and visually the best as opposed to rendering an accurate representation of how it should look like or how it did look like in the movie. That's Laurent Durieux in a nutshell! (see also the graphic designer approach vs. illustrator) It has nothing to do with botching or lacking enough time to give it full treatment.
^This
Last edited by jvwoodford on Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredo
Art God

Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Manchild make-a-wish foundation gon’ make a manchild wish (foundation)!

Great thread
just a foil for me today, thanks
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:03 pm

Sterlingpiper83 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:13 am
tranito wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:38 pm
At the end of the day, if someone is seeking an accurate representation of an object or a place/location in a Durieux poster, how do we say, realism?, I think that person fails completely to even remotely get Laurent's craft. It's like not even missing the point, but expecting or wanting exactly the opposite of what he does. To me it's beyond ridiculous to bring up the stitching on the seats and what that exact car model should or shouldn't have in their interior for it to be ''accurate''. I'm pretty sure the building in Die Hard is not actually in a snow globe either. Not accurate. Is that an issue as well?
Maybe it's just me, seems like Laurent is a modern day "impressionist" poster designer. Duck the facts and visual accuracy, His prints relay the feeling of the movies quite well if You are honest about it. Not much better than that. Seems like a lot of haters are butthurt about missing out on His prints lately. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where can I start copping some of these drops? Missed the Drive, I was busy getting that Home Alone BNG print and forgot about it 😪

If You got a Shawshank and wanna trade for Phish prints hit me up 😉😆 💖😁
Its the disappointment of what could be. You have to use the signature Drive font(or do something really speacial)...it goes hand and hand with the visuals and soundtrack. That font is basic, step above comic sans. He is using the car interior as a frame for 3 items. The bag of money nobody gives a hoot about. The movie was mainly aimed at gearheads and Gosling fans. Gear heads dont need a lot but essential parts of a car missing is too large of a glare. They hang that up, whats the first thing everyone says? Its not 'cool hammer!', its 'how do you accelerate?'. Im not even a gearhead but its unappealing along with font. Laurent dominates my collection right behind OBEY.
tranito
Art Expert

Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:12 am

lebantz wrote:
Gear heads dont need a lot but essential parts of a car missing is too large of a glare. They hang that up, whats the first thing everyone says? Its not 'cool hammer!', its 'how do you accelerate?
By putting your foot on the accelerator which, from that angle and with depth perspective considered, should lend right about there hidden behind your center console? I don't know all that much about cars, but I'm pretty sure it's standard not to have your accelerator right next to your driver's door panel.

Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
fredo
Art God

Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:23 am

FACE
(and Merry Christmas!)
just a foil for me today, thanks
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:31 am

tranito wrote:
lebantz wrote:
Gear heads dont need a lot but essential parts of a car missing is too large of a glare. They hang that up, whats the first thing everyone says? Its not 'cool hammer!', its 'how do you accelerate?
By putting your foot on the accelerator which, from that angle and with depth perspective considered, should lend right about there hidden behind your center console? I don't know all that much about cars, but I'm pretty sure it's standard not to have your accelerator right next to your driver's door panel.

When you need to brake, just tap ur cheek on the windshield. Is that your ebrake or shift pedal? This an auto baby! edit - clutch, thats how much I love my cars hahah
Sterlingpiper83
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:34 am

tranito wrote:
lebantz wrote:

💖😁
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:42 am

lebantz wrote:

Its the disappointment of what could be. You have to use the signature Drive font(or do something really speacial)...it goes hand and hand with the visuals and soundtrack. That font is basic, step above comic sans.
Lol what are you even saying?! You clearly have no idea what goes behind choosing suitable fonts to compliment designs, so you pivot on a trend/gimmick that has been used in practically every piece of Drive marketing. He’s chosen it because the blocky slab serif compliments the shape of the hammer, amongst other reasons I could presume but only he will know for sure, it’s called design consistency. Yes you could add a hand painted style title but it’s not really ‘saying’ anything or adding anything and since LD comes from a graphic design background he’s just trying to bring a more design centric order to things here where everything is there for a reason. What is your stance on Papyrus, is that a notch above Comic Sans in your mind? People who reference Comic Sans in the hope of just highlighting bad font choices are always clueless. One of the original posters incorporated a similar slab serif title, point is different compositions and designs require different fonts, a good designer doesn’t just slap the same one on everything.

turnJBup
Art Freak

Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:41 pm

Jesus.
It’s a poster.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:31 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
lebantz wrote:

Its the disappointment of what could be. You have to use the signature Drive font(or do something really speacial)...it goes hand and hand with the visuals and soundtrack. That font is basic, step above comic sans.
Lol what are you even saying?! You clearly have no idea what goes behind choosing suitable fonts to compliment designs, so you pivot on a trend/gimmick that has been used in practically every piece of Drive marketing. He’s chosen it because the blocky slab serif compliments the shape of the hammer, amongst other reasons I could presume but only he will know for sure, it’s called design consistency. Yes you could add a hand painted style title but it’s not really ‘saying’ anything or adding anything and since LD comes from a graphic design background he’s just trying to bring a more design centric order to things here where everything is there for a reason. What is your stance on Papyrus, is that a notch above Comic Sans in your mind? People who reference Comic Sans in the hope of just highlighting bad font choices are always clueless. One of the original posters incorporated a similar slab serif title, point is different compositions and designs require different fonts, a good designer doesn’t just slap the same one on everything.

You make excuses for a cascade of bad choices. You like it, I dont. I wanted to like a poster from one of my favorite artist. O well
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:34 pm

lebantz wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:31 pm
jvwoodford wrote:
lebantz wrote:

You make excuses for a cascade of bad choices. You like it, I dont. I wanted to like a poster from one of my favorite artist. O well
it's not excuses it's reasoning, just trying to educate you, it's fine if you don't like it but I personally can't stand people criticising things they don't understand
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:52 pm

I dont even know wtf papyrus is aside from a reed. You get butt hurt hearing the word comic sans. I dont care if you send fudge to print shops and are an apple user. I use my eyes and create feels. Sorry you cant control that to a science like you think.

He made the font work for Shawshank, boogie nights, and eye wide shut somehow.