Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:04 am
tranito wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:22 pm
fantasticninja wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:30 pm
tranito wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:20 pm

:lol: (Not sure if serious though)

Might be the last thing on that car that had not been picked on yet..
Seriously though. If anyone passed on this because of the knobs or the stitching or the pedals..
All I read is ''Christmas money is thight right now''. :lol:
I'd say those are 3 are all valid reasons not to buy a piece of art that is unfinished, or done so lazily. Not because Christmas money. This print sucks. It's the worst print I have seen this year, and it's the worst 'Drive' poster done yet.
Lol that's an opinion! I mean, stuff like ''worst print all year'' gives 0 credibility to said opinion, but ok.
You think it sucks and didn't buy it. 100% fair enough to me. But someone who would dig the poster, like dig the concept and execution overall, but would pass because he's not a fan of the stitching on the seats!?! C'mon, that's hilarious!
LOL YEAH THAT'S MY OPINION LOL! I can see how someone can dig this poster, easily. People have awful taste usually. There's prints and art that people drool over that I think looks like hot trash. I'm a huge Laurent fan and lately his art is coming off as lazy in some cases. And this is the worst of them all. And why is it so hard to comprehend someone wouldn't like a piece of art because the piece of art has an ugly flaw in it?

As far as the 'Drive' license, stop with the damn hammer. He uses it for like 1 minute in the movie that isn't even that crucial. Any artist that is using it as a focal point is either creatively bankrupt or just a bad artist with no free thought.
How many Trump cards did you get?
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:45 am

fantasticninja wrote:
I'm a huge Laurent fan
fantasticninja wrote:
Any artist that is using the hammer as a focal point is either creatively bankrupt or just a bad artist with no free thought.
Classic! Keep 'em coming! :rolling:
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
lebantz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:48 pm

Ive driven a lot of Impala's, never seen one with a racing console or modified gauges. They dont offer stitched seats either. The movie had none of this. It did have a stick shift, which would have shifting pedals and a 5 speed clutch. Cant draw a gearbox with a hammer? leave it in neutral if its about centering. Its like he was working on a poster for Bullit and got a call for Drive in the meantime. He had too much on his plate a just pushed this out. I love Lauren(as mad duck called him), I love Drive, but drymount this poster.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:30 pm

acidburn wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:29 am
fantasticninja wrote:
tranito wrote:
fantasticninja wrote:

I'd say those are 3 are all valid reasons not to buy a piece of art that is unfinished, or done so lazily. Not because Christmas money. This print sucks. It's the worst print I have seen this year, and it's the worst 'Drive' poster done yet.
Lol that's an opinion! I mean, stuff like ''worst print all year'' gives 0 credibility to said opinion, but ok.
You think it sucks and didn't buy it. 100% fair enough to me. But someone who would dig the poster, like dig the concept and execution overall, but would pass because he's not a fan of the stitching on the seats!?! C'mon, that's hilarious!
LOL YEAH THAT'S MY OPINION LOL! I can see how someone can dig this poster, easily. People have awful taste usually. There's prints and art that people drool over that I think looks like hot trash. I'm a huge Laurent fan and lately his art is coming off as lazy in some cases. And this is the worst of them all. And why is it so hard to comprehend someone wouldn't like a piece of art because the piece of art has an ugly flaw in it?

As far as the 'Drive' license, stop with the damn hammer. He uses it for like 1 minute in the movie that isn't even that crucial. Any artist that is using it as a focal point is either creatively bankrupt or just a bad artist with no free thought.
None. He sold out of all 45k in only a few hours. But seriously why did you even ask me that? It's so off the cuff and unnecessary.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:32 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

tranito wrote:
fantasticninja wrote:
I'm a huge Laurent fan
fantasticninja wrote:
Any artist that is using the hammer as a focal point is either creatively bankrupt or just a bad artist with no free thought.
I'm a huge Laurent fan but he seems to be creatively bankrupt recently with his really bad posters. Did you miss where I said "either"? Because he falls under the creatively bankrupt, not a bad artist. There's something wrong with you, and I really hate trolls or posts that just want to come off as mockery. :)
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:56 pm

fantasticninja wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:30 pm
acidburn wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:29 am
fantasticninja wrote:
tranito wrote:

None. He sold out of all 45k in only a few hours. But seriously why did you even ask me that? It's so off the cuff and unnecessary.
We were talking about it here the other day and I just felt you would have bought a bunch and then yelled at us how we should have bought it and pizzagate.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:59 pm

What are you even saying? I've mentioned before I voted for Bernie....lol. Pizzagate? What? I've only been nice to you.
tranito
Art Expert

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:08 pm

fantasticninja wrote:
tranito wrote:
fantasticninja wrote:
I'm a huge Laurent fan
fantasticninja wrote:
I'm a huge Laurent fan but he seems to be creatively bankrupt recently with his really bad posters. Did you miss where I said "either"? Because he falls under the creatively bankrupt, not a bad artist. There's something wrong with you, and I really hate trolls or posts that just want to come off as mockery. :)
New poster doesn't mean new concept. Boogie Nights (new concept), Drive (old concept), Shawshank (old concept). Not sure how you can say he's been creatively bankrupt recently with his really bad new posters, when the concepts/ideas/sketches behind them are coming from a span of half a decade. Great year for Laurent imho. Probably his best one since 2013-2014, when he had in back to back years : Jaws and Die Hard (2013) and his first Mondo show (Hitchcock) in 2014. Let's keep it positive.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:12 pm

lebantz wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:48 pm
Ive driven a lot of Impala's, never seen one with a racing console or modified gauges. They dont offer stitched seats either. The movie had none of this. It did have a stick shift, which would have shifting pedals and a 5 speed clutch. Cant draw a gearbox with a hammer? leave it in neutral if its about centering. Its like he was working on a poster for Bullit and got a call for Drive in the meantime. He had too much on his plate a just pushed this out. I love Lauren(as mad duck called him), I love Drive, but drymount this poster.
that is not correct

95 96 impala SS were console shift

owned several ......came in dark cherry black or a blueish the last year made

awesome car - corvette engine
Last edited by Grateful69Phish on Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:12 pm

One that sticks out to me is his Godzilla that looked wacky. He does more good than bad, but this Drive poster..idk..he could have done something better. Maybe Madducks wasn't paying enough for his time. Who knows. I'll always support Laurent and his brother Jack.

Edit: And yes, positivity is keen.
toobs
Art Expert

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:25 pm

fantasticninja wrote:
tranito wrote:
fantasticninja wrote:
tranito wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:20 pm

:lol: (Not sure if serious though)

Might be the last thing on that car that had not been picked on yet..
Seriously though. If anyone passed on this because of the knobs or the stitching or the pedals..
All I read is ''Christmas money is thight right now''. :lol:

Amazes me how some designs are completely lost on people who'd rather something more obvious or pretty with little to no thought put into it, and still have the audacity to comment on people having awful taste. In my opinion, LD was trying to paint a portrait of the driver without actually featuring him, yes he used a hammer but it's not just because it is featured in the film, it's because a bloody hammer is a horrific image that does a great job of symbolising the brutal violence he is capable of. Then you have the pristinely clean looking interior to contrast with this, as well as the driving gloves and bag of cash, which tells you all you need to know about him really. It's a simple story about a mysterious character, summed up in a simple composition.

I'm not fanboying, LD has definitely produced some weaker designs in the last few years and this is far from his best one, and in my opinion it's also far from his worst. I'm just explaining the design decisions it appears he's made in order to counter your opinion that it's lazy and unfinished, you can hate it all you want but that's just not a reasonable assessment to make. If half of all posters (Drive posters included) were rendered with as much precision and thought as this, you strike me as the sort of person who'd probably still hate them or at least fail to recognise the effort and skill involved in crafting them. As for the pedals, are you saying you'd rather an artist add something just for the sake of being 'accurate' even though it's going to distract, look weird, or generally look worse? Because I guarantee that's exactly the reason he left them out. I personally don't understand how something so unimportant not being visible can be more of a distraction than having it squeezed in just to be present, but that's just me I guess.
NiffWho
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:28 pm

It's just a goofy drymounting poster. Whenever his cleverness is right at the fore, the concept just feels lazy and without any thought. (Eyes Wide Shut, Marathon Man, etc.) When the prints are trying to convey what the films are actually about, beyond images of reference, then he hits a home run. (The Red Shoes, Elevator to the Gallows, etc.) Like ninja said, this repetition of the hammer is getting old, to the point where you question if these guys have even watched the film. Or are they all just trying to strive for that Kurtz grail status with pink and a hammer?
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:31 pm

TL;DR