Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 am

wonkabars7 wrote:The Paris stroll couple hype is definitely a new level.
is this a deleted scene from Before Sunset?
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Drkilzum
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 am

Back from holiday with great news, I am pleased to announce that the gallery mondographics has the honour of Putting it right up ur ass where the sun doesn’t shine with no lube for a mere €900 (+Port).

This beautiful Poster is the result of collaboration between Laurent Durieux and Sean Hepburn who have really allowed me to created a virtual mockery and meme haven on these here interwebs by yours truly with this ridiculous price point in the name of charity while pricing out the #TruFanz.

For my part, I think this is one of Laurent's most successful posters even if we only Sell a mere 16 out of he 250 Edition; act fast or as you probably could have guessed it they will indeed be up on EBay under my account at a discounted price point from my Usual 12 times markup on the market value at €9,000 (+port)

This Poster, is now available at the gallery, please no Molotov Cocktails as this beauty is a stunning 17 colour screen print is absolute fire and let me tell you we have plenty of kindling on Hand in the usual format 24 x36in, numbered 250 copies and signed by Laurent Durieux. Price is only 900 € (+Port) while the Hype lasts.....
bert
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

Codeblue wrote:Top shelf hype fo sho. Dat posterfromfrance duke should be payin ya for dis ish.
Old Stouts gratefully received :lol: I’m not buying one so have no horse in this race, just find the outrage at the price mildly amusing.
FloB
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 am

raphulysses wrote:If the interest was in actually raising money for the charity they would have done a timed edition. Bottleneck's Indy probably made more money at the 1k+ run at a normal price. Eh too bad.
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:24 am

According to fb it's a tiered pricing so I would act fast before it jumps to 1500
fredo
Art God

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 am

Yah, hurry.
just a foil for me today, thanks
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:54 am

Luls for listed on eBay as “Not Mondo”
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
FloB
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am

Lol. Also one listed for $1000 here on the marketplace. My currency converter says €900 ~ $1120. That's actually $100 cheaper, keep it going posterfromfrance..
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 am

rubberneck wrote:
Still one of my favorite movies. The dialogue is just amazing.
TOTM
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:08 am

jkw3000 wrote:This has nothing to do with quality or wall-friendliness, this print pre-aftermarket is being sold at 900 euros / 1115 USD. That's pretty not-standard in this particular niche of publicly sold silkscreened alternative movie posters.
35mmpaul wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:Would someone outside of this hobby drop a grand on a BAT print all of a sudden?
No.
Ummmm... Yes.

Your 'alternative' movie poster collectors have been around for what... 9-10 years? Movie poster collectors, you know the real ones, have been going for more like 90-100 years. There is a far bigger world outside of EB & this would be pocket change for these freaks!
35mmpaul wrote:
bert wrote:Price feels absurd, but to play devil's advocate, if Mondo dropped this, would it reach 900 euros on the secondary in a couple of years?Perhaps, in which case you could argue that they're pricing to market and the artist/charity are getting paid instead of re-sellers.
im going to go with not a chance it would ever get that high if priced around $100. This is priced for people who are huge fans of breakfast at tiffany's and think that spending $1000 on poster is a smart idea. Which might be tens of people.
bert wrote:A timed release might have been a nicer way to make a stack of cash for the charity yet get the art into people's hands, but I suppose that doesn't really fit with this gallery's style/clientele and it would be a load of work for them too.
Calling them a gallery is generous. Double the print run, and price it normally. Woulda sold fine. Or timed.
Like 'em or not, they are a gallery & obviously trying to cater/cash in to a market that is & most likely will always be, out of your reach...

The tens of people you speak of are more likely the handful of folk on here, that would actually hang this on the wall & appreciate it.
Codeblue wrote:
bert wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
bert wrote:Odd comparisons. They're all massive runs and the art is not on the same level. Birds Pier might be a better comparison, but even that is 50% bigger run. BaT and Hepburn are much more wall friendly than any of those prints, it'd attract buyers outside the scene.
All those films are either classic films in the same vein as Tiffany's, and are wife/wall friendly as you said. Birds aesthetically falls inline with this sure. But the film itself is more beloved by film fans and not revered as a seminal romantic classic as tiffanys is.
Disagree. Hepburn is an icon, people who’ve never even seen the film hang images of her from BaT in their homes. This poster would sell to folk outside this hobby who want something they perceive to be stylish on their walls. None of those other films/prints fall into that category IMO (of course, Grace Kelly does, but she’s not really on the To Catch a Thief poster).
bert wrote:
wonkabars7 wrote:Would someone outside of this hobby drop a grand on a BAT print all of a sudden?
I think it’s a possibility. This is aimed at some guy and his wife strolling around Paris who see it in the gallery window and buy it as they have deep pockets and think it’s a nice thing to have on the wall. Or some interior decorator who has a wedge from a client to decorate their flat or house renovation.

This won’t sell out in a week, but pretty sure over a year or two, it’ll sell a decent amount of copies. If not? I guess he’ll have to have a sale...
Top shelf hype fo sho. Dat posterfromfrance duke should be payin ya for dis ish.
Not really. Whoever this guy is, most definitely gunning for that higher clientele... Most likely wrong as well but pretty sure he doesn't give a drymount about an insta sellout or AOTW, good luck to him I say!
bert wrote:Price feels absurd, but to play devil's advocate, if Mondo dropped this, would it reach 900 euros on the secondary in a couple of years? Perhaps, in which case you could argue that they're pricing to market and the artist/charity are getting paid instead of re-sellers. A timed release might have been a nicer way to make a stack of cash for the charity yet get the art into people's hands, but I suppose that doesn't really fit with this gallery's style/clientele and it would be a load of work for them too.

Print is easy on the eye.
Yeps, classic homage of iconic imagery... Dude's just rolling the dice!
Last edited by TOTM on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TOTM
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am

fredo wrote:
bert wrote:people who’ve never even seen the film hang images of her from BaT in their homes.
Name one.
These guys for one... Y'all are forgetting that people, myself included, happily overpay for all sorts of stupid drymounting crap! Think this thing is still available too, I'm pretty sure, for any Tiffany fans that are miffed on missing out on making a quick buck.
James Mylne.jpg
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 am

Horseshit.

No serious classic movie poster collector, meaning the people who would happily pay 5k for a pristine Breakfast at Tiffany’s original poster, is going to drop a grand on some limited edition screen print. And the people who collect originals and new alternative posters are not spending that kind of money on this.

We can argue about it all we want, but my guess is they sell a dozen or two at that price point. Tops.
That's what she said
Pawel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am

"Dear friends,
fans and followers,

since I have not yet officially shared my thoughts about my "Breakfast at Tiffany's" poster release and the very bad buzz this is creating. I thought it would be good for you all to know the back story of it all. I have seen many people complaining and being infuriated by the prohibitive price tag, even pointing fingers at me like if I had any responsability in how this is being handled!

As much as I understand everybody's frustration, anger even and share their disbelief, I think it's a shame people forgot about the actual cause this print was meant to be for. I would have preferred, like many of you suggested, to see this print being sold at a more affordable price as a timed edition by the "REAL MONDO", giving everyone a chance to own a copy of the poster and ultimately grossing possibly more money in the kitty.

Unfortunately, as I tried to talk to Sean Hepburn Ferrer about the Mondotees option, he told me he had just signed a deal with Mondo graphics. My call came too late :-( ...

I was not aware of this until very recently, long after I had delivered the piece. Sean had originally great plans, which had me excited about, of organizing several events in my hometown in Brussels (where his mother Audrey was born) including an exhibition, inauguration of a statue, and a charity event in which an auction would take place to sell 12 one sheet copies of my art printed in stone litho!! All of this to commemorate of the birth of Sean's extraordinary mom here in Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium.

Unfortunately, after many months of hard work setting eveything up, and for several reasons out of Sean's control, the whole thing was sadly cancelled.

Changing the poster release from 12 lithographs to a 250 screenprints being sold by Dominique Besson and his gallery in Paris at such a prohibitive price is something I don't understand not just as a business plan but also for the fact that it antagonises the Mondo fan base completely. I guess he knows his business and client base better than me... Had I known this from day one, I would probably never agreed to take this path. There isn't much I could have done at that point and, believe me, when Sean told me about his plan B, I knew this was coming...

Needless to say I wish Sean and the association EURORDIS (The voice of Rare Disease Europe) www.eurordis.org whom he has been the ambassador for for the last 5 years, all the success and as much money as possible to be raised. The cause is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

LD"
TOTM
Art Expert

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:32 am

finneganm wrote:Horseshit.

No serious classic movie poster collector, meaning the people who would happily pay 5k for a pristine Breakfast at Tiffany’s original poster, is going to drop a grand on some limited edition screen print. And the people who collect originals and new alternative posters are not spending that kind of money on this.

We can argue about it all we want, but my guess is they sell a dozen or two at that price point. Tops.

Hardly less horseshit as anything else posted in the last several pages... Exactly how do you know that?